PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Edmonton - Need help

bsa
29-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I am moving from Vancouver with my wife and 2-year-old son. I have checked on various web sites and realised that the rentals are pretty high there as compared to Vancouver. Here, I pay $ 750 + utilities for a one bedroom apartment. Whereas, in Edmonton, I guess itís going to cost more than $ 900.

How good is the option of moving into a basement suite? Do we have ground level basements in Edmonton? How much should a 1 bedroom suite cost per month? Do we have cheaper options for independent apartments? Have tried searching on craigslist, but it is full of scam postings. On the other hand Boardwalk is too expensive.

Please guide on the best way to look for decent rentals and what areas of Edmonton are better. I will ask more questions as and when they come into my mind.

Thanks in advance

DebraW
29-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the C2E forum and soon Edmonton!

A great website is move to edmonton http://www.movetoedmonton.com/

Yes, our accommodation costs have started to catch up to other parts of Canada.

Boardwalk is the biggest in Edmonton (Alberta) but there is also MidWest and a few others as well.

There are basement rentals and our city council has also changed bylaws so there are more (legal) secondary suites in Edmonton then there ever used to be.

Some parts of Edmonton are less expensive and have more rental options but may have more problems as a result. I would arrange for somewhere to live as soon as you can as there are waiting lists.

I am sure that someone here on the forum will have some more suggestions too!

Cheers,

:D

IanO
29-10-2007, 06:26 PM
welcome and best of luck with your search.

Generally speaking you will pay $700-1000 a month for a 1bdrm in Edmonton depending on the location. Do you require a certain area or want one?

Being on the LRT is a great advantage for commuting and cost purposes, but there are plenty of other areas which are viable for quick and easy commutes to work or school.

aurorastone
31-10-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm from Vancouver too and I just happen to live in a Boardwalk apartment....p.s. don't deal with Boardwalk! For such a large company, their service is pretty questionable. I have had a problem with ants ever since September and they still haven't eradicated the problem. I am definitely moving out once my lease is up.

They were quick with repairs in the beginning, but when my toilet broke, they didn't come for two days...um excuse me, how do I use the washroom?

I live in the downtown area, which is not too bad, but I swear...sometimes you feel like you're living close to E Hastings or something, cause you will randomly see bums just lying down in the middle of the street. My boyfriend lives near the Bonnie Doon area and it's quite a nice area. Very quiet, but close enough to the main parts of Whyte Ave (which is the closest thing you can have to Robson St).

Starter Wife
31-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Have you tried complaining to Capital Health? They often get quick responses from landlords, because they can order evictions of buildings.

IanO
31-10-2007, 12:30 PM
"I live in the downtown area, which is not too bad, but I swear...sometimes you feel like you're living close to E Hastings or something, cause you will randomly see bums just lying down in the middle of the street. My boyfriend lives near the Bonnie Doon area and it's quite a nice area. Very quiet, but close enough to the main parts of Whyte Ave (which is the closest thing you can have to Robson St)."

downtown, like any downtown has good areas and not as good areas

IKAN104
31-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Try the following links.

www.rentboard.ca (http://www.rentboard.ca/rentals/index.aspx?locid=207)
www.homerent.ca (http://www.homerent.ca/canada/edmonton-and-alberta-north/homes-for-rent/)
www.places4rent.com (http://www.places4rent.com/finder.asp?LOCID=97)

bsa
01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks friends for help. Now I have some idea of what I am looking for.

I basically want a family accommodation for three of us. We are not looking at renting an independent apartment at this stage because itís gonna cost a lot. So ideally we should be Ok with a basement suite. I have heard that there are lots of basements generally available in Millwoods area.

Please let me know if its a good locality. Also recommend other areas having plenty of basement suites. I will prefer a ground level basement.

Second concern is to move the household stuff. Any ideas besides U-haul?

Thanks again

DebraW
01-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Millwoods is as good an area as anywhere in Edmonton. There are really great areas and some not really great areas, same as any city.

Overall it is a good family area with a plethora of accommodation choices.

U-haul or renting a Ryder truck for self-moving are the only options I am aware of but someone else may have suggestions.

IKAN104
01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Stay away from U-Haul if you can especially for a long distance move. If you want to do it yourself: Budget, Hertz and Ryder all have good trucks but personally (having moved to Regina and back) I think you'll find hiring a moving company worth the cash.

bsa
01-11-2007, 10:35 AM
""Stay away from U-Haul if you can especially for a long distance move. ""

IKAN104
why do you say that?

240GLT
01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
^Shoddy and poorly maintained equipment and horrible emergency assistance.

I used U-haul to move from Van. to Calgary. They gave me a clapped out mid 80's diesel van body truck and a car trailer with bad wheel bearings. Driving that rig through the mountains was unpleasant to say the least.

I'd use U-haul to move within the city but I'd never go long distance with them again.

DebraW
01-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I have heard similar stories and some TV news show like W5 or Dateline or 60 Minutes did a story on the issue.

bsa
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
How about renting lockable trailers from U-Haul? For my stuff a 5' x 8' trailer should be sufficient. Are their trailers OK?

microbus
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
I agree... rent from U-Haul for local moves, but for anything
involving highway driving, try to find another place to rent from.
I rented a truck from them once, and only once.
Budget is my rental company of choice, but there are several
choices out there.

artemisdivine
03-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Just remember that in Edmonton parking can be at a premium so inquire about that. And often we have to plug in our car batteries at night so you may run into trouble with street parking i.e. if too far from an electrical outlet (being from Vancouver you would not be aware of this). :-D

Alberta Rent - Free to search, free to place ads
http://www.albertarent.com/

Canadian Residential Rentals
http://www.canadianresidentialrentals.com/ab.html

Remai Group
http://www.remaigroup.com/edmonton/

Midwest Property Management
http://www.rentmidwest.com

i can say that one place i really want to rent from when I have enough money (newer building, 6 appliances, underground parking etc) is running at a rate in the south west of:

2 bedrooms (762-1036 sq. ft.) Ľ $1120-1300
1 bedroom (614-709 sq. ft.) Ľ $965-1050

EDMONTON - ALPHABETICAL AREAS BY NAME

Abbottsfield
Alberta Avenue
Aldergrove
Argyll
Avonmore
Balwin
Beacon Heights
Beaumaris
Bellevue
Belvedere
Bergman
Beverly Heights
Blackburne
Blackmud Creek
Bonnie Doon
Breckenridge Greens
Brintnell
Calder
Callingwood
Cameron Heights
Canora
Capilano
Castledowns
Clareview
Cloverdale
Crestwood
Dechene
Delwood
Donsdale
Dovercourt
Downtown Edmonton
Dunluce
Eastwood
Ellerslie
Elmwood
Evansdale
Forest Heights
Fulton Place
Glastonbury
Glengarry
Glenora
Gold Bar
Grovenor
Hazeldean
Highlands
Hollick-Kenyon
Holyrood
Idylwylde
Inglewood
Kenilworth
Kensington
Kilkenny
King Edward Park
La Perle
Lansdowne
Larkspur
Laurier Heights
Leduc
Lendrum Place
Lymburn
Lynnwood
Macewan
Malmo Plains
Mayfield
Mckernan
Mcleod
Mcqueen
Meadowlark
Mill Creek Ravine
Millwoods
Montrose
Newton
North Glenora
Northmount
Oleskiw
Oliver
Ormsby Place
Ottewell
Parkallen
Parkview
Patricia Heights
Pleasantview
Potter Greens
Prince Charles
Prince Rupert
Queen Mary Park
Quesnell Heights
Richford
Rio Terrace
Ritchie
River Valley Highlands
River Valley Rundle
Riverbend/Terwillegar
Riverdale
Rossdale
Rundle Heights
Rural West Big Lake
Rutherford
Sherbrooke
Sherwood
Sherwood Park
Sifton Park
Silver Berry
Southwest Edmonton
Spruce Avenue
Spruce Grove
St. Albert
Stony Plain
Strathcona
Strathearn
Suder Greens
Summerlea
Summerside
Terra Losa
Terrace Heights
The Hamptons
The Meadows
University
Virginia Park
Webber Greens
Wedgewood Heights
Wellington
Westmount
Westridge
Westwood
Wild Rose
Windermere Estate
Woodcroft

bsa
03-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi artemisdivine

What area is that??

""i can say that one place i really want to rent from when I have enough money (newer building, 6 appliances, underground parking etc) is running at a rate in the south west of:

2 bedrooms (762-1036 sq. ft.) Ľ $1120-1300
1 bedroom (614-709 sq. ft.) Ľ $965-1050 ""

gabek90
20-11-2007, 12:22 AM
regarding ways to move, U-haul etc., when my wife and I moved from Alabama to Seattle we got a trailer from IBF freight lines. They drop off a small 18-wheeler trailer, which you load, then they pick it up and load the rest of the trailer with freight. You arrange when you want it dropped off at your new place. It was cheaper than a uhaul or ryder truck and way more convenient. We are planning to use them again when we move to Edmonton in January. I think it's www.ibf.com.