PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks and the High Level Bridge

Titanium48
27-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Back in 2001, when I first heard that "ground zero" for the fireworks was being moved to it's current location, my first thought was "I better go down early and stake out a spot on the high level bridge"... until I found out that the bridge would be closed :(. I ended up watching from a decidely sub-par spot near the Leg. The next morning I heard about the now-infamous "Canada Day riot", and later found out that a crowd of people angry about not being allowed to cross the bridge after the fireworks was a contributing factor.

For the last couple of years, a friend has hosted a party at his Saskatchewan Drive apartment (excellent view), where I noticed people watching from the north bank of the river, directly across from "ground zero" and as close to it as they would be if they were on the bridge.

So, Why is the bridge closed for the fireworks? I thought perhaps that being 50m higher than the spectators in the valley might make a difference, but then why is the LRT bridge closed too? It is much lower and further away and it is even protected for falling debris by the LRT tracks above. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

RichardS
27-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I hear safety concerns with so many people leaning over the bridge....

IanO
27-06-2006, 05:00 PM
isnt it something to do with the great divide waterfall?

RichardS
27-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Not sure. They've had it open during the times it is on (and I have been drenched), plus I hear that is a reason why they use potable city water instead of river water (so people don't drink river water). So, I think the waterfall is not really the issue here.