PDA

View Full Version : Ward 4 candidate Cardinal draws on aboriginal & other ti

DebraW
09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Ward 4 candidate draws on aboriginal and other ties

Gordon Jaremko, edmonton journal.com
Published: Sept. 09, 2007 5:00 pm

Lewis Cardinal rode connections with the arts, entertainment, academic, ethnic and native communities into a noisy launch Sunday to a campaign for a seat on Edmonton city council.

"Yes I am aboriginal - get over it already," joked Cardinal, brother of CTV Corner Gas comedy-series star Lorne Cardinal.

But the inner-city Ward 4 candidate and supporters such as retired Liberal senator Thelma Chalifoux and Cindy Hurtig, a niece of publisher Mel Hurtig, said he neither can nor should forget his heritage as a descendant of chiefs in the northern Cree settlement of Sucker Creek.

"He's way cool," Hurtig said. "An aboriginal person has the insight to see all people as human beings. It's not the skin colour we look at," Chalifoux said.

"We can identify with ethnic communities' struggles," said Cardinal. He does volunteer work on civic initiatives to encourage and integrate immigrants to Edmonton, and has lived in the city most of his life since 1967.

His credentials include a 2005 Alberta centennial medal for services to multiculturalism, human rights and diversity.

The 45-year-old father of two and communications consultant is a former director of native student services at the University of Alberta and founder of the Indigenous Media Institute of Canada.

His arts credits include message shows such as a provincial museum exhibition that explored cultural similarities between Canadian natives and South Americans, titled When the Eagle Flies with the Condors.

"I'm not anti-development," Cardinal said. "I am anti-irresponsible development. We need to challenge developers to think about the environmental side. That's where the city plays a clear role in communications between the community and developers."

He sketched a campaign platform supporting safe streets, public transit, environmental protection, help for the poor and homeless, respect for heritage and encouragement of culture.

Edmonton is a hotbed of history, creativity and the arts, Cardinal said. "It is how we recognize all that talent that truly makes us a great city."

Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

m0nkyman
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
"I'm not anti-development," Cardinal said. "I am anti-irresponsible development. We need to challenge developers to think about the environmental side. That's where the city plays a clear role in communications between the community and developers."

Why is it that whenever a politician makes a statement like that, it's usually not true? :?

RichardS
10-09-2007, 12:06 AM
...because, like "SMART CHOICES", they again are platitudes that hide the real agenda - so they try to hide the stuff that people dont' want to hear until elected and they have to show some more truer colors.

AKA - poltiics and campaigning...

DebraW
12-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Hicks on Six
Wed, September 12, 2007

COULD BE AN UPSET IN WARD 4

If there's any ward in Edmonton where a sitting councillor might get turfed in the October municipal election, it's the downtown Ward 4.

The very popular Michael Phair, who always won the top slot by a landslide, is retiring.

Jane Batty's running for her third term, but she's up against two strong repeat contenders in Ben Henderson and Debbie Yeung. Now social activist Lewis Cardinal is coming on strong.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Jane, but because of the strength and quality of her opponents, she could end up in third spot.

-30-

Duckie
13-09-2007, 12:35 PM
The little bit of information of Cardinal Lewis's campaign that's currently available sparked my interest, and I stopped by his campaign office to see if they had more. Maybe I'm just naive, being new to the city, but I had no idea he didn't live in the ward.

"Hey grew up here, and spent much of his life in the ward," his campaign manager told me. I doubt I'll be able to vote for him, now. :-(

Anyone else aware of Ward 4 candidates, and where in the ward they live? As a south-of-downtown resident, I'd prefer a candidate who lives on my side of the river, for some reason.

murman
13-09-2007, 12:40 PM
"An aboriginal person has the insight to see all people as human beings. It's not the skin colour we look at," Chalifoux said.

I'm sorry, but I feel like registering a human rights complaint against Chalifoux. I've just been dissed, it would seem.

glasshead
13-09-2007, 12:41 PM
The little bit of information of Cardinal Lewis's campaign that's currently available sparked my interest, and I stopped by his campaign office to see if they had more. Maybe I'm just naive, being new to the city, but I had no idea he didn't live in the ward.

"Hey grew up here, and spent much of his life in the ward," his campaign manager told me. I doubt I'll be able to vote for him, now. :-(

Anyone else aware of Ward 4 candidates, and where in the ward they live? As a south-of-downtown resident, I'd prefer a candidate who lives on my side of the river, for some reason.

Ward 4 extends south of the river I believe...

Duckie
13-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, I meant that I'd prefer a candidate in the ward who lives on this side of the river, rather than a candidate from the north side of the ward.

glasshead
13-09-2007, 12:45 PM
http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_265_210_0_43/http%3B/CMSServer/NR/rdonlyres/D9A9EF1E-4769-4A28-BB50-8F949CA7B692/5368/ward4_map.jpg

glasshead
13-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes, I meant that I'd prefer a candidate in the ward who lives on this side of the river, rather than a candidate from the north side of the ward.

why?

DebraW
13-09-2007, 01:03 PM
I am taking a guess here and Duckie please correct me if I am wrong.

A candidate cum councillor who lives in the Ward is more aware of the issues relating to all of their constituents as they live there. Having someone from Ward 2 represent deep Millwoods makes the ward system rather meaningless.

glasshead
13-09-2007, 01:18 PM
I am taking a guess here and Duckie please correct me if I am wrong.

A candidate cum councillor who lives in the Ward is more aware of the issues relating to all of their constituents as they live there. Having someone from Ward 2 represent deep Millwoods makes the ward system rather meaningless.

Yes, I understand, but how I interpret Duckie's reasoning is that he won't support a ward 4 candidate because he lives north of the river. Duckie, I assume, is a ward 4 resident, but lives south of the river. Am I missing something here??

Here is Duckie's quote below:

"Yes, I meant that I'd prefer a candidate in the ward who lives on this side of the river, rather than a candidate from the north side of the ward."

McCauley resident
13-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I will not be voting for Lewis Cardinal because of a few reasons - but where he lives is not relevant to me.

All of us barely know all of our neighbours concerns let alone the concerns of those who live ten blocks away. Ward 4 stretches almost 50 blocks from top to bottom - (it appears) more than 100 blocks from left to right. To suggest that someone living close to me will represent my interests better............. :roll:

I take into serious consideration their education & knowledge, their personal lifestyle, their track record, etc...

I take into minor consideration the candidate's promises since they only have one vote out of thirteen. Plus there are hundreds of issues yet they only highlight a few...

I never take their home address into consideration...

Duckie
13-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I typically wouldn't take a councillor's home address into consideration, but Edmonton has stupidly huge wards. I guess there's a theory that fewer wards means a leaner more responsive civic government; but, it also means less accessible representatives, with a broad range of constituents to cater to.

Thus, if two equally attractive councillors were running, one living north of the river, one on the south, I'd choose the one living in my neighbourhood. They may do equally good jobs, but it's the "he/she is one of us" thing. I have an easier time relating to people I meet on the street in my own neighbourhood.

McCauley resident
13-09-2007, 10:31 PM
if two equally attractive councillors were running, one living north of the river, one on the south, I'd choose the one living in my neighbourhood. They may do equally good jobs, but it's the "he/she is one of us" thing. I have an easier time relating to people I meet on the street in my own neighbourhood.
That is clearer than your original point - guess good looks are important when you meet them on the street............... :-D

DebraW
16-09-2007, 03:56 PM
He's my brother

Susan Ruttan's Edmonton Journals Blog
Sept., 14, 2007

When you're running for city council, you use whatever means you've got to get publicity. What Lewis Cardinal, candidate in the inner city Ward 4, has is a famous brother. And boy, is he using him.

Lewis Cardinal showed up at Mayor Stephen Mandel's re-election campaign launch with brother Lorne Cardinal, an actor on the TV hit show Corner Gas, in tow. Actor brother was also at Lewis Cardinal's campaign launch.

Now, he's the featured draw at a $100-a-plate fundraising dinner to fuel Lewis Cardinal's campaign. Presumbly Corner Gas isn't shooting right now, so Lorne's joined the campaign team. Which is fine. As I say, you do what you can to get noticed.

Lewis Cardinal is a candidate with some impressive credentials, but he's in a tough race. There are two seats in Ward 4 and one incumbent councillor, Jane Batty. There are also two candidates, Debbie Yeung and Ben Henderson, who ran in 2004 and both did very well -- not enough to win, but they pulled very respectable numbers.

By the way, Cardinal has an interesting campaign manager, Sherry McKibben. McKibben had a brief one-year stint on council in the mid-1990s, winning a byelection and then getting defeated in the general election. Then for years she was the high-profile and hard-working manager of HIV Edmonton. She quit that job a couple of years ago and I've been wondering what she was doing.

Obviously she's still interested in politics.

Posted Friday, September 14, 2007 12:19 PM by Susan Ruttan

-30-

moahunter
16-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I can't really comment on Lewis Cardinal yet, but Ben Henderson impressed me at our door. Unlike most politicians, he didn't just tell me what I wanted to hear. I probably don't agree with him on many social issues, but he has spine, and accordingly, a good chance IMO.