PDA

View Full Version : 'Edmonton Rising' reflects opportunity, says mayor

DebraW
22-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Mandel's re-election billboards panned
'Edmonton Rising' reflects opportunity, says mayor

Wed, August 22, 2007
By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU

Mayor Stephen Mandel re-election billboards – the one pictured here is on 50 Street near the Whitemud Drive – have started popping up around town.

Mayor Stephen Mandel has launched his re-election bid with a new billboard campaign featuring the city’s skyline and the slogan “Edmonton Rising.”

But the promo has left some observers confused and wondering what message the one-term mayor is trying to deliver.

Mandel said the slogan reflects “great opportunity” in Edmonton.

University of Alberta political scientist Jim Lightbody was left scratching his head by the slogan. “I don’t know what on Earth he was thinking,” he said. “Edmonton rising? From what?”

Lightbody called the slogan “meaningless, feel-good and without substance.” He said to him the phrase conjures up images of zombies rising from the dead. Or it could be a veiled attack on the previous administration.

“If you wanted to over-think it, and no one is going to, it could be suggesting that previous councils and mayors somehow knocked the city into the graveyard.”

Scott Hennig, with the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, said it could be a reference to costly decisions that have been made at city hall.

“Both council wages and property taxes are on the rise, there’s no question,” said Hennig.

Mandel defended his new slogan.

“It’s a time when the city can reach a new level of opportunity, of economic development, of belief in itself,” he said. “I think it’s the beginning of a change for the city.”

Lightbody said that message will resonate with Mandel’s core supporters – people with money who are “immune to the kaboom,” but it will be a harder sell for people struggling.

David McCalla, Mandel’s campaign manager, said 15 billboards went up across the city on Monday.

While Mandel’s name doesn’t appear directly on the adverts, at the bottom of each sign is the web address: www.re-electmandel.com.

McCalla said “Edmonton Rising” is not the slogan for this year’s campaign, but more of a teaser of what’s to come.

Former mayor Bill Smith said he doesn’t see the campaign as an attack on previous city leaders – and he likes the slogan. “It’s kinda catchy,” Smith said.

He said Edmonton has been growing and the phrase is appropriate. “It’s quite magic, what’s happening,” Smith said of the booming economy.

Chaldeans Mensah, a Grant MacEwan political scientist, also liked the approach. “It connotes the idea of the city emerging out of the doldrums of inactivity and mediocrity.”

The election is Oct. 15. So far no high-profile candidates have stepped forward to challenge Mandel.

[email protected]

-30-

DebraW
22-08-2007, 06:39 PM
^ What do C2E members think?

Have you seen the billboards? (I have seen the ones on 50th St. near the Whitemud and on 91 Street and 40th Ave.)

Mind has yet to be made up...I like the city skyline but it is a sort of bluish grey and stark in appearance and the shot of the city was the same old same old shot.

Dakine
22-08-2007, 06:51 PM
hhehe i like this part

.” He said to him the phrase conjures up images of zombies rising from the dead

Sonic Death Monkey
22-08-2007, 07:04 PM
http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2007/08/22/MandelBillboard1.jpg

Schweiktoo
22-08-2007, 07:33 PM
hmmm, this might be a case where the interpretation of the viewer tells the most:

Jim Lightbody/Canadian Taxpayers = negative (go figure)

Grant McEwan Guy/Bill Smith = positive and optimistic

nuff said.

IKAN104
22-08-2007, 08:31 PM
http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2007/08/22/MandelBillboard1.jpg

ooooohhhh, so that's what those billboards are for. I'd seen them around but I never realized it was Mandel's re-election thing.

.... guess they're not very effective. :-D

DebraW
22-08-2007, 09:28 PM
^ I had seen them before too but I am sure there was no text when they were first put up.

ED1
22-08-2007, 09:44 PM
When I saw that billboard the first few times (after finding out it was a Mandel election billboard), the phrase "phoenix rising from the ashes" came to my mind.

... the zombie thing was a close second. :)

E-Town Crusader
22-08-2007, 10:11 PM
The phrase "phoenix rising from the ashes" came to my mind.
Same here.

bornandraised
23-08-2007, 03:42 AM
Considering how catchy Mandel's advertising was for the 2004 election, I'd say these are a bit of a letdown. Not that he really has to put out much effort this time, but these are almost worse than putting out nothing at all.

DebraW
23-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Mayor launches bid for re-election

Gordon Kent, The Edmonton Journal
Published: August 23, 2007 2:05 am

The first 15 billboards promoting Mayor Stephen Mandel's re-election campaign were unveiled this week.

On signs across the city, the slogan "Edmonton Rising" and a campaign website address were added to pictures of the city skyline that went up in early August.

Mandel vows he isn't taking voters for granted, even though he doesn't have any well-known opponents right now.

Billboards around town indicate Mayor Stephen Mandel is gearing up for re-election.

"We still have to run a campaign that's respectful of this office. Being mayor is important," he said Wednesday.

"What we really want to do is engage the citizens of Edmonton and challenge them about what the city can look like."

But former councillor Jim Taylor predicted it will be hard attracting people to the polls Oct. 15 without an interesting fight for the mayor's chair. "Traditionally, that happens ... I have all the results back to when we became a city (in 1904)," he said.

"There will be low turnout because there are no plebiscite issues and no mayoralty race, really."

The exceptions are likely to be Ward 3, Ward 4 and Ward 6, where incumbent councillors are retiring, and in some surrounding municipalities, Taylor said.

About 42 per cent of voters cast ballots in the 2004 civic election that was marked by a close battle between Mandel, incumbent Bill Smith and challenger Robert Noce.

So far, only three candidates -- Dave Dowling, Peter Lefaivre and Bill Whatcott -- have indicated on the city's election website that they plan to run against Mandel.

Nomination day is Sept. 17.

The last time a mayor faced such low-profile opposition was probably 1980, when 21.4 per cent of eligible residents went to the ballot box and returned Cec Purves with almost 10 times the votes of his nearest challenger.

Mandel, who won't discuss details of his platform until the campaign is officially launched Sept. 7, hopes to have brochures ready this weekend.

Further changes will be made to the billboards as the weeks go by and there are also plans for ads on bus shelters.

Mandel expects his team will spend a little less than the record-breaking $479,000 the last election cost, though he still plans to go door-knocking so he can talk to people.

"We made a decision to run a campaign as hard as last time because I think it's important to gain the support of citizens."

Campaign manager David McCalla said there will probably be hundreds of volunteers involved in the campaign, but admitted people are a little more "blase" than they were three years ago.

"We were at 41/2 per cent in the polls in the middle of September last time, so I wouldn't say it's harder (to get supporters)," he said. "Lots of people are willing to help, but ... they have busy lives and they don't want their time wasted if it's not necessary, and we respect that, and the same goes for their financial contributions."

[email protected]

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

DebraW
23-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Edmonton rising

I'm on vacation and not supposed to be thinking about city hall, but the big billboard on 118th Avenue in Beverly couldn't be missed today. "Edmonton rising" it says, with a cityscape of the Edmonton skyline. It's the Stephen Mandel mayoral re-election billboard, and a pretty impressive one too.

I'm a reporter so I don't endorse any candidate, but I recognize a slick campaign slogan when I see it, and "Edmonton rising" is just that. It triggers that feeling a lot of Edmontonians have that we're finally having the kind of boom that Calgary has taken for granted for years, and that Edmonton lost so painfully in the 1990s.

Of course, "Edmonton rising" doesn't tell the whole story. The problems of the boom are already apparent, with the homeless crisis, rising rents, multiplying potholes, staff shortages everywhere, and so on.

Still, this is a good time in Edmonton. Did Mayor Mandel create that good time? That's for the voters to decide. In any case, he's presiding over it.

Posted Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:09 AM by Susan Ruttan

-30-

amanzano
23-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Edmonton rising

I recognize a slick campaign slogan when I see it, and "Edmonton rising" is just that. It triggers that feeling a lot of Edmontonians have that we're finally having the kind of boom that Calgary has taken for granted for years, and that Edmonton lost so painfully in the 1990s.

Posted Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:09 AM by Susan Ruttan

-30-

That's the feeling I got...after thinking about it for a 10minutes.

The billboard doesn't seem to evoke that immediate reaction though. You want that reaction, get ACTION, COLOR, LOTS OF PEOPLE to show that Edmonton's rising

RichardS
23-08-2007, 12:23 PM
It is the start of a campaign...the start...

hmmm, this might be a case where the interpretation of the viewer tells the most:

Jim Lightbody/Canadian Taxpayers = negative (go figure)

Grant McEwan Guy/Bill Smith = positive and optimistic

Couldn't have said it better myself. Consider the source is exactly what went through my mind. My goodness, only negative nannies would go a sfar as to say zombies or imply insults to previous administrations. Edmonton is indeed rising on many levels. Simple slogan to kick off an entire campaign.

DebraW
23-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Campaign season for municipal seats

Aug, 23 2007 - 5:10 AM

EDMONTON/630 CHED - The billboards have been up for a couple of weeks, but its only now the city skyline is apparent of what's up. "Edmonton Rising" is Stephen Mandel's campaign slogan.

Some wonder what the turn out will be if Mandel doesn't face a credible candidate. Janice Melnychuk sees shrinking voter turn out and worries, but Stephen Mandel says he'll campaign to spread the word of what will happen over the next three years, regardless the level of competition.

The official launch date is September 7th for the campaign office.

Scott Johnson

-30-

kcantor
23-08-2007, 02:58 PM
edmonton sun headline reads "mandel's re-election billboards panned". that's probably all the information i need to come out in full support of them. :)

RichardS
23-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I caught that headline too. ...even though the article has a balance of people who like/support the idea, even booster Bill!!!

DebraW
24-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Mayoralty a one-horse race?

Fri, August 24, 2007
By Neil Waugh, Edmonton Sun

It's a sign of the times.

The only difference is Mayor Stephen Mandel appears to have jumped the gun a little with his 15 "Edmonton Rising" billboards.

The civic election campaign has traditionally kicked off after the Labour Day weekend. Before the mid-October vote, the city's boulevards will become a forest of pick-me signs.

Mandel said his billboard launch is all about a "new level of opportunity" which, of course, Howie will lead us into.

But when you come out early as Mandel has clearly done, it raises as many questions about his leadership as it does answers about the city's future.

First of all, Edmonton hardly needs a "new level" of growth. The torrid economic pace that the city has witnessed since the third wave of oilsands development touched off, had little to do with Mandel's efforts.

To the contrary, the mayor's inability to manage that growth - or even deliver basic municipal services like snow-clearing, pothole fixing or a credible police service - has been the most obvious legacy of his first three years in office.

Instead, Mandel has embarked on grandiose schemes while ignoring the fundamental requirements that Edmonton taxpayers are demanding.

At the same time, Mandel has been consistently raising property taxes and going out of his way to pick a fight with the neighbours over taxation of Refinery Row and Upgrader Alley.

The most curious part about the Edmonton Rising signs? Who is Stephen Mandel running against?

To date, no other candidate has stepped forward, while Mandel has been campaigning since the spring.

Also, billboards don't come cheap, and they appear to be the beginning of a far more extensive campaign. So who is backing the mayor to the extent that he has money to burn on an election that appears to be a one-horse race?

What Edmonton needs is a fall mayoral campaign where Mandel is not only tested on his "new level of opportunity" vision but on the reality of his track record.

Hopefully the mayor's billboards will hasten that process.

-30-

grish
24-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I honestly don't know how Null comes up with his thoughts on the situation at edmonton's city hall. i am yet to read anything written by Null that remotely resembles a plausible argument. i know he is paid to write. i just hope they include the thinking part at his contract renewal time.

DebraW
24-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I honestly don't know how Null comes up with his thoughts on the situation at edmonton's city hall. i am yet to read anything written by Null that remotely resembles a plausible argument. i know he is paid to write. i just hope they include the thinking part at his contract renewal time.

^ :lol:

sweetcrude
24-08-2007, 01:00 PM
For the naysayers out there...

Do you really think that the "Edmonton Rising" campaign is the only one that Mandel will use?

As a specific pitch to choose Mandel over others, I don't really feel that "Edmonton Rising" will be directly effective. Rather, I think the slogan is rather ingenious on Mandel's part. It is the outward expression of how I think a lot of Edmontonians feel about the city these days. Of course, many realize that there are problems, but I'd say that most also realize that we're doing a pretty good job at dealing with the stresses that come along with a quickly growing community. The pothole/23rd Ave Interchange/LRT topics aside, I feel more than ever that people are willing to open up their imagination to really start talking about where we really want to steer this ship.

Interesting times. I think the "Edmonton Rising" slogan captures that fairly succinctly. More than anything I think the campaign serves to promote the discussion of where we are and where we want to be. Mandel will very likely come out with more specific ads in the near future in addition to these ones. It would certainly be interesting if he didn't, but I'm certain he will.

RichardS
24-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Agreed. For all of the non-issues Neil could have brought up, this one is hilarious.

There has to be a personal axe to grind here.

grish
24-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Null is null. He had nothing to add for a while.

about those signs, I think people who like Mandel will like the signs, those who hate Mandel will hate the signs, and those who don't care so long as we get the city working as it should will be critical of the signs. I think these signs will not turn anyone around to change their vote.

Sonic Death Monkey
24-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe Neil will be supporting Bill Whatcott to run against Mandel.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4629
:shock:

DebraW
27-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Edmonton rising

The Edmonton Journal
Published: August 27, 2007 1:51 am

Re: "Mayor launches bid for re-election," The Journal, Aug. 23.

One has to wonder what Mayor Stephen Mandel and his handlers were thinking with the obscure campaign slogan "Edmonton rising."

My first thought was it was pompous.

Then, it dawned on me: the words "Edmonton rising" encapsulate the recent Edmonton experience elegantly and accurately -- rising taxes, rising crime, rising rent, rising homelessness. These guys are geniuses!

The only thing it doesn't cover is the falling expectations I have in our civic leadership.

Michael Harlow, Edmonton

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

grish
04-09-2007, 11:38 AM
New bilboards are going up. Same background of white edmonton skyline on light blue background, a picture of Mandel and new slogan: Your City, My Passion.

DebraW
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM
New bilboards are going up. Same background of white edmonton skyline on light blue background, a picture of Mandel and new slogan: Your City, My Passion.

Hum...

qualityresults
05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
sounds like someone is listening (maybe)

DebraW
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Mon, September 10, 2007
Edmonton Sun Letters

Every time I see one of those "Edmonton Rising" billboards I'm reminded of one of Glen Sather's better quotes: "Even a fire hydrant could score 40 goals playing with Gretzky".

Paul Bagnall

(Fire hydrant for mayor!)

-30-

DebraW
18-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Mandel election billboard vandalized
Meanwhile, rival stomps platform plank

Tue, September 18, 2007

A Mayor Stephen Mandel re-election billboard was found vandalized today in south Edmonton.

Mayor Stephen Mandel has been torn apart – literally.

One of his southside billboard ads was ripped to shreds by vandals, likely sometime today.

Most of Mandel’s body was torn down, leaving only his decapitated, yet smiling head, part of an arm and the tip of his fingers.

Still intact was the slogan, “Your city, my passion,” his web address and an image of the city skyline.

Mandel learned of the defaced billboard – which was seen by thousands of motorists throughout the day – only after being contacted by a Sun Media reporter.

The incumbent mayor said he didn’t know what could cause that kind of damage other than a vandal.

“It’s hard to comment on something I haven’t seen, but any vandalism is unacceptable by any standards in the city of Edmonton,” said Mandel.

He said his campaign team will try to get a replacement up as soon as possible.

Campaign manager David McCalla, who had not seen the damage first hand, estimated the billboard would cost hundreds of dollars to replace – not huge dollars considering Mandel is expected to spend over $400,000 in his re-election bid.

Jeff Wuite, a spokesman with the Edmonton Police Service, said relatively few incidents of election-related vandalism have been reported so far in this campaign. That includes lawn signs being stolen.

“There hasn’t been a rash of sign vandals,” Wuite said. “Not to say there haven’t been any incidents. It’s still pretty early. We’re just starting to see these things go up.”

Wuite said as far as he knew, the incident with Mandel’s billboard had not been reported to cops.

It wasn’t only Mandel’s picture being ripped to shreds today – but also his policies.

The mayor’s chief rival, Don Koziak, said the incumbent should be grateful for the millions in new infrastructure dollars the city is getting from the province, rather than complaining it’s not enough.

Koziak was responding to newspaper ads that ran in the major dailies today. In them, Mandel explains he’s “upset” because the province is not giving Edmonton its fair share of new infrastructure money.

On a per capita basis, Mandel says Calgary and Sherwood Park are getting more.

But Koziak, who is also running for mayor, said it’s just “sour grapes.”

“It seems to me we should be thankful we got this money we weren’t expecting, as opposed to being ungracious and complaining it’s not enough,” said Koziak, who has close ties to the Alberta Tories and worked behind scenes on Stelmach’s leadership campaign.

“It’s like your friend wins the lottery, gives you $10,000 and you complain he didn’t give you $20,000.

“You’re better off than you were before.”

Mandel said Koziak is entitled to his opinions.

Stelmach’s 10-year plan will see the Capital region, which includes 24 municipalities, receive $3.1 billion. Edmonton will get $2.1 billion. In the same amount of time, Calgary will receive $3.3 billion.

Cathy Olesen, mayor of Strathcona County, said she didn’t appreciate her municipality being singled out by Mandel. She also didn’t like his ads.

“It’s not something I’d do,” Olesen said.

Election day is Oct. 15.

[email protected]

-30-

Glenco
18-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Tue, September 18, 2007

The mayor’s chief rival, Don Koziak, said the incumbent should be grateful for the millions in new infrastructure dollars the city is getting from the province, rather than complaining it’s not enough.

Koziak was responding to newspaper ads that ran in the major dailies today. In them, Mandel explains he’s “upset” because the province is not giving Edmonton its fair share of new infrastructure money.

[email protected]

-30-
He said what?
Does this guy hope to get any votes in Edmonton? He is just as arrogant as his dad.

glasshead
19-09-2007, 08:57 AM

Tue, September 18, 2007

[email protected]

-30-
He said what?
Does this guy hope to get any votes in Edmonton? He is just as arrogant as his dad.

If I may paraphrase...

"Hey Edmonton, just be glad my buddy gave us some cash and shut up!" Unbelievable.

IanO
19-09-2007, 10:16 AM
i like the Edmonton Rising theme....it can mean so much to many different areas....vague yes, applicable to everything going on right now, yes.

DebraW
20-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Mandel promises committee to fight homelessness

Susan Ruttan, edmontonjournal.com
Published: September 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Mayor Stephen Mandel promised today to create a new committee to end homelessness in Edmonton in 10 years.

The promise was part of Mandel's social platform, his first policy statement of the civic election campaign.

In it, the incumbent mayor outlines initiatives of the last three years that he's proud of, such as a plan to create housing for first-time homebuyers on unused school sites, and the Capital City Clean-Up to reduce littering.

The new committee on homelessness will include social agencies, government and business, Mandel told reporters at a press conference in the Catholic Social Services offices on 118th Avenue. Its model will be a U.S. council on homelessness that has shown promising results in many U.S. cities, he said.

Mandel repeated an earlier promise to crack down on aggressive panhandlers, either with a new bylaw, more enforcement or better education for those who solicit money.

And he promised to create transitional housing for low-income people who may be displaced by the redevelopment of the Downtown East area along 96th Street.

[email protected]

© Edmonton Journal 2007

-30-

travis
20-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Tue, September 18, 2007

[email protected]

-30-
He said what?

If I may paraphrase...

"Hey Edmonton, just be glad my buddy gave us some cash and shut up!" Unbelievable.

Hmmm,

It must be a Ukranian conspiracy.

(j/k)

grish
20-09-2007, 04:22 PM
the sun, in one of their idiotic editorials by Null Void, has mentioned ethnicity of Stelmach and Koziak as a benefit to have.

I hope this board doesn't succumb to this level of thinking as it really is irrelevant who are your mommy and your daddy and where they gave birth to you. What is relevant is the quality of person, the ability as a leader, and the ability to generate good ideas we get in our mayor.

I am really hoping that will be the case and hope that the back stabbing that Stelmach has demonstrated in funds allocation is an isolated mistake, not a pattern in behaviour. I guess I am just a dreamer :oops: