PDA

View Full Version : City to spend $140,000

qualityresults
22-08-2007, 01:39 AM
City committee approved in principle to spend 140,000 on advertising to advise of the dangers of excessive idling.

They are going to discuss with city vehicle drivers what is acceptable idling of their vehicles.

The original proposal to restrict excessive idling in the city of Edmonton was a Great Idea (especially considering the source of the by-law originated with a grade 5 student who spoke in front of the committee) in theory, however, there are a lot of things that need to be considered before passing an excessive idling by-law, eg transit buses, transport trucks and diesel engines in winter.

Without a by-law I am afraid that spending 140 000 dollars to tell people what excessive idling is and what it does may be falling on a lot of deaf hears and be wasting money.

What about the train engines in the CN yard south of 82nd ave just sitting there? or causing us to just sit there and wait. how much green house emissions from 100 cars trucks and buses restarting their vehicles because the train has passed after 15 minutes only to come back after picking anothr 2 cars. I shut my car down if there is a long wait but if everyone sitting there waiting did?

How about cracking down on the smoking cars as they spew more greenhouse gases than any idling does in a day, every time they move. (you know the ones that look like they just took off in a 3/4 mile race just turning the corner) Just a thought!

Just because the bylaw needs work doesn't mean we have to spend money unnecessarily either. Let's work on it before we dismiss it and then spend the money to enforce (which is another problem with this type of by-law, excessive is a term of perception)
the by-law when it is complete and ciable.

NBS
22-08-2007, 02:22 AM
if you have a fairly new vehicle, especially a Toyota, if you plan to be waiting for about 1 minute, it is better to turn your engine off - the restart will emit substantially less than idling for that equivalent time. Drive thrus, waiting at a rail crossing, or a really long light (Calgary Tr/23 ave) are all appropriate places to shut he engine off.

Medwards
22-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Its 140 G, I'm not going to worry about a little public safety message/save the environment message.
QR, if we had it your way, we'd work on everything with out spending a dollar. :roll:

Casa
22-08-2007, 11:02 AM
City committee approved in principle to spend 140,000 on advertising to advise of the dangers of excessive idling.

They are going to discuss with city vehicle drivers what is acceptable idling of their vehicles.

The original proposal to restrict excessive idling in the city of Edmonton was a Great Idea (especially considering the source of the by-law originated with a grade 5 student who spoke in front of the committee) in theory, however, there are a lot of things that need to be considered before passing an excessive idling by-law, eg transit buses, transport trucks and diesel engines in winter.

I would think that the by-law would have guidelines built into to allow for things such as transit buses and especially diesel engines in the winter (there is no need to leave your diesel run in the summer while you run into the bank or whatever else you are doing). Last time I checked the city didn't just slap together a by-law without some research into what was required.

Without a by-law I am afraid that spending 140 000 dollars to tell people what excessive idling is and what it does may be falling on a lot of deaf hears and be wasting money.

$140,000 doesn't buy a lot in today's market - particularly when you are talking large billboard ads and/or television/radio spots.

What about the train engines in the CN yard south of 82nd ave just sitting there? or causing us to just sit there and wait. how much green house emissions from 100 cars trucks and buses restarting their vehicles because the train has passed after 15 minutes only to come back after picking anothr 2 cars. I shut my car down if there is a long wait but if everyone sitting there waiting did?

Then I think that is an issue that needs to be taken up with CN - there are laws about how long a train can block an intersection.

How about cracking down on the smoking cars as they spew more greenhouse gases than any idling does in a day, every time they move. (you know the ones that look like they just took off in a 3/4 mile race just turning the corner) Just a thought!

Just because the bylaw needs work doesn't mean we have to spend money unnecessarily either. Let's work on it before we dismiss it and then spend the money to enforce (which is another problem with this type of by-law, excessive is a term of perception)
the by-law when it is complete and ciable.

Advertising is one of the best ways to get word spread - and quickly about something new - whether its a new company, by-law, event, whatever.

snakes on a blog
22-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I think a bylaw restricting excessive idling (i.e. > 5 min) is a great idea. typically, education campaigns are not that effective and so the $140,000 would be better spent on enforcement. a bylaw could easily take into account your concerns with rail, busses, and older diesel engines. Newer diesels don't require excessive idling to get up to running temperature, even in the cold. but old habits die hard.

IKAN104
22-08-2007, 09:18 PM
I think city council is spending too much time on petty little things like idling vehicles and graffiti removal. By the time their term ends they will have accomplished nothing of significance.

I'm starting to wonder if they are even serious about truly improving this city. :evil:

snakes on a blog
23-08-2007, 10:14 AM
I think city council is spending too much time on petty little things like idling vehicles and graffiti removal. By the time their term ends they will have accomplished nothing of significance.

I'm starting to wonder if they are even serious about truly improving this city. :evil:
What would you like to see them accomplish? I believe that these 'petty' issues affect the quality of life for residents in the city and if allowed to fester they will get out of control.

Casa
23-08-2007, 10:40 AM
^exactly...nipping things in the bud (sorry for the cliche), usually have the best results then letting something get so big it is hard to control.

IKAN104
23-08-2007, 11:15 AM
I would like to see them spend more effort (and money) on the image of this city.

Start a truly effective beautification campaign. Commit some dollars to planting trees & burying power lines along major roadways and hiding the ugly industrial yards from view. Replace crumbling asphalt medians with beautiful treed medians.

I would like to see them make a commitment on 23rd Ave and west LRT. Also I would like to see them take a stand and approve important developments like the Strathearn Heights condos instead of deferring everything until after the election.

And perhaps most importantly I would like to see some vision from our leadership. What are they all trying to accomplish over there? Are they just going through the motions and fighting fires as they come up? Or do they have something real that they want to accomplish?

How about a bridge to downtown? How about extending the high level streetcar into downtown? How about turning the ugliest LRT line in the world (Churchill to Clareview) into something beautiful? How about building a network of cycling trails that would be the envy of every other major city in North America?

In other words I would like to see some dollars committed to something that people will actually notice.

snakes on a blog
23-08-2007, 11:54 AM
All very good ideas, especially beautification campaign. many others require a great deal of commitment from the provincial government (good luck!).

as for an overall vision for the city I too would love to see this, but I doubt it will happen with our current electoral system. by electing 13 non-related individuals every 3 years you are destined to get a mish-mash of opinions and visions.

anyways, i don't think council is wasting time with a anti litter/graffiti bylaw. It's part of the puzzle IMO.

cleverhans
23-08-2007, 03:27 PM
I would like to see them spend more effort (and money) on the image of this city.

Start a truly effective beautification campaign. Commit some dollars to planting trees & burying power lines along major roadways and hiding the ugly industrial yards from view. Replace crumbling asphalt medians with beautiful treed medians.

Those are great ideas -- but we're talking about $140K here. Preventing idling is an excellent step forward healthwise by reducing smog, and is good for the environment.

I think even small gestures like putting up small "Cut down on smog: please don't idle" signs next to train crossings would be a cost effective way to help this cause.

qualityresults
23-08-2007, 10:47 PM
The image is the reason I posted the topic

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4604&highlight=

But the idling issue spending 140,000, is something that needs to be thought out. To turn around and say we are going to be advertising not to idle your car excessively is something like the advertising campaign of the Mayor Mandel's Bid for re-election "Edmonton Rising", But that's another topic.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4613

Not many are going to get the idea, and even less will pay attention. cleverhansI like the idea of placing signs at railway crossings that makes sense, because it is a location where excessive idling may occur.

I can't support a plan that does not have any meat and likely will be 140,000 wasted, that could have been used elsewhere, especially when all we have heard is how we don't have enough money for this and that (23rd ave/gateway overpass, snow removal, potholes and the list goes on)

I know $140K is not a lot of money but if you add 140K and the money spent on film cannisters for smokers and other not a lot of money items they then, in fact become a lot of money, which can be spent in better ways.