PDA

View Full Version : World class sportfishing in Edmonton?

chupa
11-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes it does sound crazy to some,but its not...The North Saskatchewan river that passes right through the heart of our great city is home to some of the best freshwater fishing to be had anywhere.Many people look stunned when they see people fishing the river or have a fear that being near the water is hazardous to one's health.Its all false,the NSR is one of the cleanest river systems in the world with its waters originating in the rocky's and winding its way into parts of Saskatchewan and beyond.The river is home to several species of fish among the types are;Pike,Walleye,Sauger,Goldeye,and even the giant Sturgeon to name a few...Are they hard to catch?Nope,if you find one of the many spots scattered through out the area many people are catching more fish than they can count,with the right bait offcourse.The myths of a dirty river in Edmonton have done damage to what is very likely a ''trophy'' fishing destination.People that have a interest in fishing and have never been should seriously consider it,you wont regret it.Infact you will problay become one of a growing number of people who hold one of Edmonton's best kept secrets...Just a note the river does contain a natural level of mercury because of the natural silt in the river so the fish can be eaten,but in moderation.

Medwards
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Yes it does sound crazy to some,but its not...The North Saskatchewan river that passes right thorough the heart of our great city is home to some of the best freshwater fishing to be had anywhere.Many people look stunned when they see people fishing the river or have a fear that being near the water is hazardous to one's health.Its all false,the NSR is one of the cleanest river systems in the world with its waters originating in the rocky's and winding its way into parts of Saskatchewan and beyond.The river is home to several species of fish among the types are;Pike,Walleye,Sauger,Goldeye,and even the giant Sturgeon to name a few...Are they hard to catch?Nope,if you find one of the many spots scattered through out the area many people are catching more fish than they can count,with the right bait offcourse.The myths of a dirty river in Edmonton have done damage to what is very likely a ''trophy'' fishing destination.People that have a interest in fishing and have never been should seriously consider it,you wont regret it.Infact you will problay become one of a growing number of people who hold one of Edmonton's best kept secrets...Just a note the river does contain a natural level of mercury because of the natural silt in the river so the fish can be eaten,but in moderation.

Some many people mistake that brown colour they see when looking at it from certain angles as "pollution" when really its just dirt that has been stirred up from the river... this happens in all rivers...

Many people think rivers should be crystal clean like the tap water they drink... :lol:

Sportfishing on the NSR in the Capital Region needs to be promoted more.

E-Town Crusader
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
With the river flow slowing it should soon be turning green.

Twilli
11-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I knew it! Every day on the LRT between Grandin and University, I ask my son if he sees any fish. Of course I know that he can't see any from that high up, but it keeps him occupied for an extra 10 seconds.

Last week my husband told me, in his "I-know-everything" tone of voice, that there are no fish in the river. Which surprised me because, well, it's a river. Why wouldn't there be fish in it?

So HA on him and YAY on me! :P

-T

DebraW
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
I knew it! Every day on the LRT between Grandin and University, I ask my son if he sees any fish. Of course I know that he can't see any from that high up, but it keeps him occupied for an extra 10 seconds.

Last week my husband told me, in his "I-know-everything" tone of voice, that there are no fish in the river. Which surprised me because, well, it's a river. Why wouldn't there be fish in it?

-T

Twilli,

Your husband should know that you are ALWAYS right by sheer virtue of being female! :wink:

TGIF = Thank God I'm Female! :D

Twilli
11-07-2007, 04:04 PM

-T

Twilli,

Your husband should know that you are ALWAYS right by sheer virtue of being female! :wink:

Ah perfect! Now... to convince my male co-workers! :twisted:

Medwards
11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

-T

Twilli,

Don't you know that we only let you think you are always right, just to avoid the arguement? Cause if we argue, we always lose, even if we are right

DebraW
11-07-2007, 04:09 PM

-T

Twilli,

Ah perfect! Now... to convince my male co-workers! :twisted:

Oh they are convinced already but hey are male so read stubborn, resistant to change...and the list goes on.

I have a question to get this thread back on topic! not that I could not continue to trade male 'bashing' barbs till infinity but there really is no SPORT in that...

What kind of fish are found in the North Sask?

Are all safe to eat?

DebraW
11-07-2007, 04:14 PM

-T

Twilli,

Don't you know that we only let you think you are always right, just to avoid the arguement? Cause if we argue, we always lose, even if we are right

^ :wink: Come on do not bait (get it!) me like this...

DebraW
11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
What kind of fish are found in the North Sask?

Are all safe to eat?

^ Never mind I just READ the whole article...

chupa
11-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Its actually very funny because some very well known fisherman in the fishing world have actually posted how they dont want anyone knowing about the fishing in the NSR in other forums.Actually almost all fish contain mercury,do you like to eat swordfish?Tuna?etc,guess what they all contain mercury.A study shows a person would have to eat 1lb of fish everyday for 365 days before the levels would even register on a medical test.The fish of the NSR do get big,10Lb walleyes,30lb pike,and 100lb lake sturgeon are not hard to find if you look.Here is a list of species of the NSR,I personally practice catch and release.

-Walleye
-Northern pike
-Sauger
-Lake sturgeon
-Goldeye
-Mooneye
-Burbot
-Rocky mountain whitefish
and more...

DebraW
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Its actually very funny because some very well known fisherman in the fishing world have actually posted how they dont want anyone knowing about the fishing in the NSR in other forums.Actually almost all fish contain mercury,do you like to eat swordfish?Tuna?etc,guess what they all contain mercury.A study shows a person would have to eat 1lb of fish everyday for 365 days before the levels would even register on a medical test.The fish of the NSR do get big,10Lb walleyes,30lb pike,and 100lb lake sturgeon are not hard to find if you look.Here is a list of species of the NSR,I personally practice catch and release.

-Walleye
-Northern pike
-Sauger
-Lake sturgeon
-Goldeye
-Mooneye
-Burbot
-Rocky mountain whitefish
and more...

Good to know...are there limits on the Walleye for the NSR? (I know that Lesser Slave Lake River used to have quotas).

I LOVE fish, all kinds and done in any manner. Do not like cleaning it (getting the bones out etc.) but have done it.

I have even done some big game fishing in the South Pacific for Marlin...fun but REALLY hard to reel them in as they fight and fight for hours.

m0nkyman
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
North Saskatchewan River
upstream of Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES2.
from Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) downstream to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border
Open all year Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 0; Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 17; Sauger limit 3 from May 18 to Mar. 31; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0.

DebraW
11-07-2007, 08:22 PM
North Saskatchewan River
upstream of Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) see Fish Management Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES2.
from Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) downstream to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border
Open all year Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 0; Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 17; Sauger limit 3 from May 18 to Mar. 31; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0.

^ Damn...Walleye is so good but I thought it was probably a zero limit.

Thanks for the info mOnkeyman! :D

chupa
12-07-2007, 08:29 AM
There are a ton of walleye in the river,a friend and I caught fish after fish a few days ago.The walleye population is healthy in the NSR but the species is heavily protected throughout the province to avoid over exploitation.My next target is a Sturgeon (also catch and release,0 limit).

Twilli
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't know much about fishing, but my son got a (real) fishing rod for his birthday, and I was thinking we could do a trip down to the river valley one morning and test it out.

So, how does one go about fishing in the NSR? Do you need a permit? Do you need a boat? Do you need ummm... to know how to fish?

-T

DebraW
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I don't know much about fishing, but my son got a (real) fishing rod for his birthday, and I was thinking we could do a trip down to the river valley one morning and test it out.

So, how does one go about fishing in the NSR? Do you need a permit? Do you need a boat? Do you need ummm... to know how to fish?

-T

Sounds like a great idea!

^ Um, yes, knowing how to fish is a big part of fishing! :wink:

Bait is something to consider.

Not getting the reel tangled is another key thing!

Where did you buy your son's fishing rod? Perhaps they could provide some pointers and information on bait and permit need.

However, you know the best part of fishing is being out in nature and as a parent; it is about making memories with/for your son.

Going fishin,

:D

chupa
13-07-2007, 04:06 PM
My suggestion twilli is to go the fishin hole and ask the staff what to use.You will need pickerel rigs in sizes #4 and 6,live dew worms and live leeches work well also can be bought there along with weights for pickerel rigs.The staff are very helpful and just let them know you intentions of were you want to go fishing.There are a few good spots through out.Dawson park is one of the better.

24karat
13-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Don't forget to get a license!

North Guy66
16-07-2007, 12:09 AM

-T

http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_2313477_0_0_18/

Hermitage Park Stocked Ponds

This year the City of Edmonton and the Edmonton Urban Fishing Committee will stock Hermitage Park Pond (pond with boat dock) with more than 3,000 Rainbow Trout and the 'Back 40 Pond' (pond located in the off-leash area) with more than 1,600 Rainbow Trout. These ponds are free for public use and all Sport Fishing Regulations apply. An Alberta Sport Fishing Licence is required if you are 16 to 65 years of age. Limit is five (5) Rainbow Trout and non-motorized boats are allowed.