PDA

View Full Version : Travel Alberta is on my list!

sean
10-05-2006, 07:33 PM
This isn't the first time I've complained about Travel Alberta and their non existant promotion of Edmonton, and probably not the last.

We got this nice little supplement from them promoting Alberta, and a second one promoting Calgary. Nicely printed, nicely laid out, except for the fact i'm betting there isn't one for Edmonton.

People wonder why we don't get any recognition, well try checking out their webiste, and see how much we get mentioned.

Going through their pdf booklets, I can't help but think we're being majorly shafted in several aspects, and it really has to stop.

grish
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
perhaps we can start a campaign by simply e-mailing them with questions about tourism in edmonton. keep asking them for places to do, for attractions, for places to stay, for day-trip, for surroundings, etc..
their phone: 800.ALBERTA (800.252.3782)
can anyone help with the e-mail?

RichardS
10-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Feedback forum

http://www1.travelalberta.com/cfforms/exitsurvey/

To have a rep call you

http://www1.travelalberta.com/madetoorder/home.cfm?segment=4&link=text#

Travel Info

[email protected]

Marketing Info

[email protected]

grish
10-05-2006, 10:55 PM
so lets bombard them with legitimate questions. if you're planning a weekend around town--give them a call/ e-mail etc and have them assist you with planning. sooner or later they will realize that such information should be more readily available on their publications/ web-sites.

RichardS
11-05-2006, 09:35 AM
I am also taking a little different tact...before I e-mail, I am going to try to find out what is actually there, and how far I have to search.

From what I see so far, you CAN find stuff, you just have to dig. What I do find is fairly accurate and fair.

My biggest beef - the acutal PROMOTION. TV spots, magazines, etc are too focused on one area - Calgary - Banff and the cowboy culture....

sean
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Richard, alot of the information is there, it's just the fact that you have to dig for it is the problem.

Really, unless your looking for it, you could pass Edmonton by completely without knowing. The way the information is delivered seems skewed in Calgary's favor, whether by relation to the mountains or the fact that there is simply more links to Calgary promotions put in better placement.

I wouldn't complain so much since we allowed it to happen, but it should be changed, both locally and on that site.
I'm still curious about their print job and if they did a supplement for Edmonton as well as Calgary. I just want to see fair advertising pretty much.

SAL
11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Travel Aberta does a Calgary (southern AB) insert in the Edmonton Journal and an Edmonton (northern AB) insert in the Calgary Herald. You have to buy your ad in the inserts. The Alberta DVD, however, is all about horses running in the foothills and majestic mountains. Those who did not know better would believe that Alberta had no cities or no more people than those three cowboys.

RichardS
12-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Here is something that bugs me...

Check this thread out. Why can the ERAA put out something much better than TRAVEL ALBERTA???

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426

sean
12-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Sal, thanks for the info there.

Richard, your right, that is an absolutely nice video.
Nice looking site too.

The only thing i'd change is the title graphics and making the thing play inline in a browser as soon as you hit the page, with the option of downloading a better quality video.

RichardS
14-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Really, unless your looking for it, you could pass Edmonton by completely without knowing. The way the information is delivered seems skewed in Calgary's favor, whether by relation to the mountains or the fact that there is simply more links to Calgary promotions put in better placement.

I agree 100%. My comment was more on trying to be fair in the investigation. You can find stuff, but either by design, negligence, or pure fluke, you need to dig to see anything Edmonton. I would like to stay as fair as possible, even though I am one of the more vocal complainers about Travel Alberta's treatment of anyone outside the Calgary/Banff corridor.

Maybe our CanWest Global friends can help with this one though. In a recent pullout in the Journal, DestinationWest had its 2006 travel guide. In it you could get info on Cold Lake, the Okanogan, the Peace Region, and right in the middle was a 2 page CALGARY spread. I looked through the insert, and there was NOTHING metioned on Edmonton. To be fair, no Vancouver either, but Victoria was there.

So, I must ask, do the individual cities/regions have to submit an ad, or just how is the space and copy allocated?