PDA

View Full Version : Talking about female politicians

KC
15-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Stupid people saying stupid things...

‘This is not acceptable’...
http://www.ipolitics.ca/2013/02/15/this-is-not-acceptable-michelle-rempel-takes-aim-at-sexist-trolls/

madam premier blog

http://madampremier.tumblr.com/

Gemini
15-02-2013, 11:28 PM
There are always going to be people that run down female politicians. There are always going to be people that run down just about everything. Gender is an easy target for some people. Women can screw up just as badly as guys and there will be people who are not very pleasant in their criticism when that happens. Some of the words they use are pretty foul but empty vessels usually make the most sound anyway. Human nature being the way it is there are more people out there that will tell you what you are doing wrong than what you are doing right.

KC
17-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Some people lack that social 'filtering', so while many can be highly 'intelligent' on one front, many of the same people are total dunces on other fronts.

peeved
20-02-2013, 06:05 PM
If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. It's like an offensive T.V. show. If it offends you don't watch it. This lady wasn't elected to to waste tax payers money by complaining about what some ***** has to say about her on twitter.

East McCauley
20-02-2013, 06:48 PM
^Michelle Rempel used a Member Statement to draw attention to sexist comments posted on the Twitter accounts of female politicians. That hardly constitutes wasting taxpayers money.

MP Charlie Angus quit Twitter earlier this year because of repeated racist comments posted to his Twitter account.

People who hide behind anonymity to hurl insults deserve to be challenged. Good on Ms. Rempel for doing so.

Gemini
20-02-2013, 08:08 PM
At the end of the day anyone in the public spotlight is open to all kinds of ridicule and most of it is unnecessary. Take Princess Kate for example. There were photo's of her the other day and the press all start talking about the Royal Baby Bump. Now, a baby is a wonderful thing but when you read some of the comments after the articles some of them are very mean spirited. Public life is not for the faint hearted.

peeved
20-02-2013, 10:18 PM
As far as I'm concerned she was elected to challenge more important things. Challenging people like this encourages them to continue ignoring them gives them no reason to continue. She reacted exactly the way this person wanted her to he got the attention he wanted and she lost.She better get off twitter or get use to these kind of people. She set her self up for every ***** on twitter looking for attention now she either takes the heat or get's out of the kitchen but if she chooses to take the heat then she should quit complaining about it.

Replacement
21-02-2013, 12:07 PM
What isn't being properly understood here is that new social mediums are the breeding grounds of uncontested hate, invective and messages of the type that would not be tolerated or approved in any other forum. If there was a candidates debate and someone from the back row shouted something similar at a candidate I would imagine backers from EVERY candidate as well as the rest of the audience would be requesting that person leave immediately. I would imagine some wrath being focused on that individual.

We're doing young people, children, no favors growing up in an anything goes twitterverse thinking that all this is appropriate, acceptable behavior.

Whether the focal point be gender hate, racial hate, or hate dissemination in general there needs to be an answer to some of this.

Social media is not moderating itself. It is often being a cesspool that not only allows, but encourages this nature of offensive statement and behavior and fosters it.

Everybody should be concerned with this.

edmonton daily photo
21-02-2013, 02:57 PM
^ Start here on C2E look at some of the bullies this place has created.

expat
21-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Social media is essentially a tailor-made outlet for uncreative sociopathic narcissists, who if they don't receive the positive affirmation they crave, cry foul and chuck their dummy (pacifier) out of the pram (stroller).

edmonton daily photo
21-02-2013, 03:38 PM
People have been treating their neighbors like crap for years... we now simply have a written record.

I have/had a neighbor that has gone to the extend of trying to get me fired from my work. He is cray cray

East McCauley
21-02-2013, 04:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned she was elected to challenge more important things. Challenging people like this encourages them to continue ignoring them gives them no reason to continue. She reacted exactly the way this person wanted her to he got the attention he wanted and she lost.She better get off twitter or get use to these kind of people. She set her self up for every ***** on twitter looking for attention now she either takes the heat or get's out of the kitchen but if she chooses to take the heat then she should quit complaining about it.

Not sure if you've had a chance to check out the Madam Premier blog. Many of the comments posted on the Premiers' social media accounts go well beyond being idiotic into the realm of anonymous threats and abusive insults. This online bullying needs to be exposed and challenged, not ignored.

edmonton daily photo
21-02-2013, 04:54 PM
I think it simply highlights the way "real men" talk about women...

I was out for drinks at a high end Calgary hotel .. where the straigh married high paid lawyer decide i would like to know how badly he wanted to stick it in the ***** of our small young waitress...

this isn't about the way we talk about female politicians... this is about the treatment of all women.

Gemini
21-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Hate to say this but I think most guys are worse than women when it comes to being explicit with sexual comments. Nobody is saying not to look at the opposite sex but some comments are better left unsaid. When it comes to comments about guys most women are a lot less crude and more discreet.

KC
21-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Hate to say this but I think most guys are worse than women when it comes to being explicit with sexual comments. Nobody is saying not to look at the opposite sex but some comments are better left unsaid. When it comes to comments about guys most women are a lot less crude and more discreet.

But, it's the thought that counts.

For many men, the nasty and disparaging thoughts never even enter their mind. Just like with theft and an number of other crimes, they never even think for a second about committing them. Or finding a wallet on the street - many wouldn't pause for a second to think of taking the money, seeking the rightful owner is a natural reaction.

KC
21-02-2013, 09:10 PM

I was out for drinks at a high end Calgary hotel .. where the straigh married high paid lawyer decide i would like to know how badly he wanted to stick it in the ***** of our small young waitress...

this isn't about the way we talk about female politicians... this is about the treatment of all women.

A healthy disrespect for many people of high position is very well deserved.

Gemini
21-02-2013, 10:29 PM
^I could not agree more..............

edmonton daily photo
22-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Really... so you think the lady leading Ontario should be called a numb **** or a ***.

I think your comment is idiotic. You can respectfully disagree

expat
24-02-2013, 01:48 AM

Give me a break. I've heard similar and worse said by women about young guys...In fact, taking the stance that women need special treatment when it comes to their ability to cope with "bad words" is actually ridiculously patronizing and actually perpetuates the myth that the poor, delicate, darling little ladies somehow need special treatment.

I suspect in some cases, female political figures are playing on your outdated stereotype just to gain exposure and further their political ambitions.

edmonton daily photo
24-02-2013, 08:42 AM
You are right. The Whole of society could use a smart ending up... Look at this site for example I can't call you a ***** and have it show up but the site allows me to call someone a ***.

Here is a wake up call expat.. When MPs in the house feel its ok, which it isn't, to call female members bitches or other such names its not ok. It's sexism... It's about reiterating the outdated notion that the female sex is less than the male... Just like the use of the word *** is about enforcing the idea that the straight norm is superior to all other forms of love.

PS site admin please do the ethical thing and add *** to your blocked list of words

KC
24-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Really... so you think the lady leading Ontario should be called a numb **** or a ***.

I think your comment is idiotic. You can respectfully disagree

Poor choice of words on my part. :-)

One can and should be very circumspect regarding people in office or running large companies, religions, organizations, etc. People don't need to be degrading towards them for innate characteristics (sex, appearances, heritage, etc). They've most often achieved high status as a result of successful competition, not necessarily legal, ethical, open and transparent competition. Often their success is purely a pursuit of self-interest and not public interest. As a result they don't deserve automatic respect but instead a healthy critical look.

expat
24-02-2013, 08:37 PM
PS site admin please do the ethical thing and add *** to your blocked list of words

Why ban it? It's context and intent that bother you surely?...And in the case of the above 'naughty' word, you seem to be the only person on the entire forum using it in it's pejorative sense?

How do you feel about tool, prick, ****, bum, come, horn, knob...?

(**** (male chicken) is apparently banned already :smt005)

North Guy66
24-02-2013, 09:05 PM
^Yes, it seems Ms. Krushell has not met a camera she does not like.
If only she could find herself a good hairdresser.
Really, every time I see her I feel like shouting 'Do something with your hair'.

She looks like she has just rolled out of bed, cant she even add a little lipstick :rolleyes:
You know, normally I am not as vindictive but, please at least try to look like you have groomed yourself before coming to work. Sometimes she looks like she has just come from a six week camping trip in the wilderness and went straight to City Hall.

^ Women can be their own worst critics when trashing female politicians.

Gemini
24-02-2013, 10:01 PM
^Still stand by it.
It's a far cry from from the highly sexual derogatory comments that this thread is about. If we had a cross dressing transgender prime minister who did not look well groomed it would not sit well.