PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Edmonton during the Expo

grish
18-04-2007, 01:22 PM
How will people be arriving in Edmonton?

Edmonton International is set to expand to comfortably accommodate 8 to 12 mil passengers (or just under 1million per month) a year over the next ten years. Will it be large enough if we were to host the Expo?

Say we get 10 million visitors over a 5-month span who will arrive and then leave--2 "uses" per passenger--for a total of 20 million. That's extra 4 million per month on top of the projected 1 million per month.

Even if we only get 5 million people fly in, that is still 10 million "uses" of the airport. So, we will have to rely on either the Calgary Airport or rail from Vancouver and the East. To use Calgary Airport and not flood Edmonton with extra few million of cars on the road, we then might have to speed up some sort of public transport from Cowtown. Dare I say HSR?

So with that, how about I'll let you good people write what you think our challenges in bringing people here will be and suggestions to resolve these.

My suggestion is a combination of:
1. A major investment into our International airport now.
2. Retain the City centre as a functioning airport on a temporary basis. Perhaps as a means to highlight new air-travel technology on short to mid range haul flights.
3. Build a faster train service to Calgary as well as Vancouver and points in Saskatchewan.

sdimedru
18-04-2007, 01:54 PM
wOW this could be a huge issue, I never thought about it.....

off to ponder

ike9126
18-04-2007, 01:57 PM
^^
Build ANY train service
first though what everyone else has been saying has to be done, better public tranisit(its beginning to sound like a broken record) otherwise people wil get here and be stranded

RichardS
18-04-2007, 02:32 PM
With the infrastructure at YEG, including the planned infrasturcture at YEG, we can get these numbers through here. Plus, any train service to YYC will offset the load. It doesn't need to be high speed. There are rail lines right up to the YXD proposed site...and a temp terminal there can be constructed way faster, cheaper, and have less opposition than anything near Grandin.

As for YEG, you'd be surprised what LRT to the airport can do, combined with a few temp gates/fingers, appropriate security staffing, opening up other doors to security, and even god forbid we bring back the moving passenger loading vehicles we sold to Montreal so we can utilize the space behind the gates as it was originally designed to do!

bdejong
24-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I think the airport will be fine at that point. The key is to give visitors a very easy way from the airport to the site. LRT would be huge for this. Without that, you will leave people stranded. They have to be able to make it to the site seamlessly and efficiently.
As far as arrivals and departures, once expanded I am confident that the airport will be able to handle things. Keep in mind not everyone will fly in, I am sure there will be tour operators bringing in many asian people in through vancouver and then onto a train through BC as an example

DebraW
24-04-2007, 12:57 PM
^ You bet there will be tour charters (bus, train...).

Thank you for your comments! (Keep them coming....) :D

kcantor
24-04-2007, 01:37 PM
How will people be arriving in Edmonton?

Edmonton International is set to expand to comfortably accommodate 8 to 12 mil passengers (or just under 1million per month) a year over the next ten years. Will it be large enough if we were to host the Expo?

Say we get 10 million visitors over a 5-month span who will arrive and then leave--2 "uses" per passenger--for a total of 20 million. That's extra 4 million per month on top of the projected 1 million per month.

Even if we only get 5 million people fly in, that is still 10 million "uses" of the airport. So, we will have to rely on either the Calgary Airport or rail from Vancouver and the East. To use Calgary Airport and not flood Edmonton with extra few million of cars on the road, we then might have to speed up some sort of public transport from Cowtown. Dare I say HSR?

So with that, how about I'll let you good people write what you think our challenges in bringing people here will be and suggestions to resolve these.

My suggestion is a combination of:
1. A major investment into our International airport now.
2. Retain the City centre as a functioning airport on a temporary basis. Perhaps as a means to highlight new air-travel technology on short to mid range haul flights.
3. Build a faster train service to Calgary as well as Vancouver and points in Saskatchewan.
grish,

what you point out is the importance of early commitment and early planning in order to identify and address any potential "bottlenecks".

as important as it is, even the airport may not be the biggest issue however. expo 86 attracted more than 22,000,000 visitors so your starting point of 10,000,000 might well be considered quite low and not overly optimistic. two things i do not know (ok, ok, two of the many things i do not know) are how many of those visitors were multiple visits (i.e. visiting the fair every day for three days) or how many of those visitors were "local" (some of whom visited weekly or more for five months). all of that - along with other modes of transportation - will have to be factored in.

one of the interesting items that can be quantified more readily is that single day attendance at expo 86 peaked at more than 341,000 so local management and movement of people on a daily basis is at least as important as the airport (which still has some pretty big "air side" slow periods if non-air side movement and traffic could be addressed).

ken

grish
24-04-2007, 02:03 PM
ken, i purposely lowballed the attendance esimate to account for:
1. repeated visitations
2. an incrase in overall attendance.

for example, say we get 35 million visits that includes 10 million out-of-towners visiting three times during their stay (i.e. 30 million visits due to out of town traffic and another 5 million visits due to locals). So that is 10 million out of towners...

if numbers look scary at low-ball estimates, imagine the problem we might face if we actually get 20 million visitors instead of 10. i just want us to be ready.

i appreciate you pulling the number of daily visits. i think so many years later it may not be unexpected 500,000 people going to and from the exhibit daily. we have to have plans in place.

Spencer
24-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I would imagine that numerous people would have driven to Expo 86 as well. There are probably 15 - 20 million people that live within a days drive of Vancouver. I'm not sure how many people this would have been but, I think we need to get ahold of YVRs #s during that time and the years previous and after in order to get a firm idea of the spike in air traffic to Vancouver.

Sonic Death Monkey
24-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I would imagine that numerous people would have driven to Expo 86 as well.
Our family hauled an RV to Expo 86, and we stayed in some makeshift campsite somewhere in Surrey with little or no utilities.