PDA

View Full Version : Electricians and a Moving compnay

JS
20-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi. This is my first post. We moved to Edmonton from Toronto in August 2006. We just bought a house in Montrose and we're looking forward to living in that neighbourhood, close to the valley, and hoping we can contribute to making it a strong community.

I've been checking in on the forum and appreciate the thoughtful and interesting comments and advice.

We have two requests for recommendations: any recommendations on a mover/moving company for a local move and on an electrician/company for residential work?

Thanks!

IKAN104
20-03-2007, 11:02 PM
There is a company that does a lot of work here in the North end called "Lexand Electric". They did all the electrical in our house three years ago when it was being built and they were very professional and obviously very experienced. I would hire them again if needed. Sorry, I don't have a number for you but I'm sure they're in the book.

DebraW
20-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the C2E Community and Edmonton JS!

Armada Electrical Services is one I have used and would recommend highly (I also know that they are popular with several property firms.) Phone: (780) 484-6720.

Movers are so subjective, ask five people and they will all say different things I have heard good and bad things about several different moving companies...it comes down to cost, ease and comfort level.

A suggestion I would make is get at least three estimates and get everything in writing!

IanO
20-03-2007, 11:19 PM
DANC will be a great resource here..

DanC
21-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh hi...
For residential electricians, well I have to say that right now it is extremely difficult to find someone to do minor renovations...in fact there alot of guys who are running 1 man "companies" who will accept jobs and never show, never call.
Basically if you have a small job being done, its very hard to find someone to do it. There just isn't enough residential electricians...that being said if you send me a PM I may be able to help you out depending on the scope of the job.
Otherwise, try larger residential companies like KVR and Tiger Electric, but expect to wait.

Spencer
21-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I have used a company called "Handy Man Connection" numerous times. All of their "Handy Men" are bonded, qualified and their work comes with a warranty. I have found them extremely professional and fantastic to work with. They will aslo give you a written estimate before starting any work and I have never seen a job come in over estimate. Phone: 414-6152

Titanium48
21-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Unless your electrical job is a whole house upgrade of wiring from the first half of last century you might want to think about doing it yourself. There's also the rent a truck and buy your buddies some pizza option for moving.

JS
21-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi: thanks for the suggestions and insights - they are much appreciated and I'll follow up.

JS

m0nkyman
21-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I was quite happy with Alstar Electric when I upgraded my panel from 60Amp to 200Amp...

m0nkyman
21-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Unless your electrical job is a whole house upgrade of wiring from the first half of last century you might want to think about doing it yourself.

'Cause playing with 220V is fun. :shock:

For anything more complex than changing a light switch, I really, really, really, really recommend hiring a licensed electrician

Titanium48
21-03-2007, 06:59 PM
I was quite happy with Alstar Electric when I upgraded my panel from 60Amp to 200Amp...

I'd call an electrician for that job too. If the house was built/renovated in the 1970s you also need to watch out for aluminum wiring - I wouldn't want to be messing with that in high current applications (ovens, clothes dryers, etc.). I was thinking of of simple things like hooking up a dishwasher or finishing your basement as DIY jobs.