PDA

View Full Version : Jasper and Elk Island, links to our parks

CSR
02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
I had a friend that moved to that place at the other end of Highway 2 :lol: and he complained continuously how all Calgarians would work in the "but we are oh so close to the mountains!" in any comparison of our cities.

( Sad when the best thing you can say about a place is that it's only an hour from somewhere else, but I digress :lol: )

But the simple truth is, Calgary's proximity to the mountains is a huge boost to that city. Now we can't move Edmonton, but we can make better use of the National park on our doorstep, and make travel to our mountian park more convenient.

In Europe people will pay good money, fly in then get crammed into busses and take tours in sweden to see a moose. Beavers are a rare and exotic animal.

We need to encourage tour companies to provide easy guided access to Elk Island and the unique big wildlife experience it provides. We also need to find a way to encourage tour companies to provide easier access to Jasper and the northern mountains. Then we need to promote this with the city, so that instead of going to Calgary and making a day trip to Edmonton to see the mall, people come to Edmonton.

Ideally I'd like to see better, faster train service to Jasper... but with the tracks overcrowded as is, that's unlikely to happen. We need to encourage Bus companies, and we need to work out an arrangement for charter/scheduled aircraft to fly from here to Hinton with bus service to Jasper.

We really need to provide small start up companies that give guided river tours, trips to Elk Island and th like free advertising support. Why, so they can stay in business until the get establishes and so we can use them to market Edmonton as a destination that is much much more than just a big mall.

ThomasH
03-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Alberta needs to consider building a highway directly to Nordegg, I believe that a direct route there would signifigantly cut the ammount of time it takes for Edmontonians to get to the mountains. The Nordegg region also needs to be promoted more by Travel Alberta.

grish
03-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Very good point. I tried looking at a train trip to Jasper--only one train going there and one going back on the weekend. Both travel on saturdays. This seems strange.
Perhaps the rail company or someone leasing from them would think of having a weekend trip deal to leave edmonton on friday night and come back on sunday night. In winter, they could package a ski-lift and local transportation to the mountains. in summer--include a car rental option.

CSR
04-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Very good point. I tried looking at a train trip to Jasper--only one train going there and one going back on the weekend. Both travel on saturdays. This seems strange.
Perhaps the rail company or someone leasing from them would think of having a weekend trip deal to leave edmonton on friday night and come back on sunday night. In winter, they could package a ski-lift and local transportation to the mountains. in summer--include a car rental option.

I've long wished we had such a "weekender" train, but CN makes more / easier profit from freight. When the federal government took over passenger rail traffic fron the railways they let them get away with way too much, and as far as I know, there is no way to force CN to reserve those weekend slots for passenger traffic and give the passenger train priority between here and Jasper.

I think there is a lot of money to be made from train travel if treated as land based cruises... look at rocky mountian railtours. But the big rail compnaies that own the main lines don't seem to agree.

Titanium48
05-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Alberta needs to consider building a highway directly to Nordegg, I believe that a direct route there would signifigantly cut the ammount of time it takes for Edmontonians to get to the mountains. The Nordegg region also needs to be promoted more by Travel Alberta.

Interesting thought. A direct road between the Wetaskiwin turnoff on highway 2 and Rocky Mountain House would be about 110 km long and would cut about 50 km off of the trip to the Rocky - Nordegg area and provide a faster route to Lake Louise. It would be even more useful if highway 11 is ever extended into BC. It wouldn't help getting to Banff or Jasper though.
As for promoting the Nordegg area, it seemed pretty busy last time I was there, although it was the August long weekend so my experience is probably not representative.

expatinvancouver
13-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Has anyone in Edmonton's tourism sector looked into seeing if Via Rail would provide service from Edmonton International (Nisku on CP), Edmonton and Jasper on the off days from the Canadian service. Via has the equipment that provides service on the Skeena from Jasper to Prince Rupert. Or perhaps talk to Rocky Mountain Railtours out of Vancouver, about extending thier Vancouver - Jasper service. When it is easier for foriegn tourists to Visit Jasper from Vancouver or even Calgary, Edmonton is losing it's home court advantage. As to Elk Island National Park, perhaps Edmonton, the Provincial government, Parks Canada and even Strathcona County, could share the cost of a sesonal service to Elk Island provided by Edmonton transit. It need not operate everyday or year around. Say 2 trips in the Morning from Churchill LRT/CN Tower and two trips late afternoon early evening.