PDA

View Full Version : C2E - Help our neighbours in Slave Lake.

Admin
16-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Dear members,

Normally this forum is not used for posting, but just announcements. With the extremely heartbreaking events happening to our friends, brothers, and sisters in Slave Lake and area, I am making an exception.

Please use this thread to post ideas or events designed to help out our displaced Alberta family members. If there was ever a time for C2E members to step up, this is it.

Even if you want o simply post your thoughts and well wishes, please do so.

Thank you.

moahunter
16-05-2011, 10:13 AM
It is terrible to lose your house. I was in the position where we were unable to return to our house just for a few days and it was horrible. I can't imagine what it is like to lose everything you own and care about, not to mention the devestation to the community that matters to you.

I will contribute to a donation appeal, if I could do more I would. Best wishes to the people of slave lake.

Paul Turnbull
16-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Evacuees coming to Edmonton are at the Edmonton Expo Centre. The City of Edmonton has asked people NOT to drop of supplies as they are not needed at this time. They will provide updates if they do need supplies.

Right now there's not a lot more that can be done. Various municipalities have stepped up to provide for the evacuees and something like 1000 firefighters are working all over the province right now. I expect in the longer term the evacuees will require aid above and beyond since from the sounds of it Slave Lake will be gone. :(

Note that there are also fires north of Slave Lake near Wabasca and also near Red Earth Creek. My parents used to live in Red Earth and it's where I spent my summers when I was in University. I know Red Earth has been evacuated as well. We may have more than one town destroyed by these fires.

Admin
16-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Is there anything from or being organized by the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc?

Paul Turnbull
16-05-2011, 11:15 AM
CTV has listed some phone numbers available if you are looking for friends or family who were living in Slave Lake:

Family members looking for information on where medical patients were moved can call Alberta Health Services at 1-866-301-2668.
Anyone looking for help in finding family and friends in Slave Lake can call 1-780-523-3388 for assistance.
The Alberta arm of the Red Cross is accepting donations for displaced residents. You can donate by calling 1-800-418-1111.

Culled from Daveberta.ca (http://daveberta.ca/2011/05/slave-lake-fire-and-evacuation/)

IanO
16-05-2011, 11:34 AM
At the moment the things they need most are rain and knowing our thoughts are with them and those fighting to control the fires.

Great idea for a thread though as we will be ready to assist where needed.

JBear
16-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Good to hear no injuries or deaths reported. I have friends from Slave Lake who are just in disbelief this has happened, but their health & safety is of course #1 concern. Thank you for your support!

hosshumard
16-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Is there anything from or being organized by the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc?

The following email was sent to all Northlands volunteers this morning from the CEO...

Late last evening, Northlands was asked to assist in providing shelter to Slave Lake area residents that might be in need. As a result, Hall D has been designated as an initial registration and refuge space for evacuees in immediate need. We determined that if needed, there was a potential to house approximately 150-200 total people in this space. We are currently working with the City and the Red Cross to expedite the set up of the venue to meet the needs of the evacuees.

At this time there are no requirements for volunteer help. If this should change we will be in contact with you.

As more details become available, we will be sure to pass them on to you.

Richard L. Andersen
President and CEO
Northlands

Blueline
16-05-2011, 12:29 PM
They may be able to accept donations of goods
http://www.eerss.ca/
10255 - 104 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1B1
Phone: (780) 428-4422
Fax: (780) 423-6712

Gemini
16-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I heard on the 12 o'clock news that people from Slave Lake are starting to arrive in Edmonton and that temporary accomadation has been put up for them on the Northlands grounds. Some have bought motor homes but there are beds inside the Agricom Bldg. Hopefully we hear soon where donations can be made.

Admin
16-05-2011, 02:47 PM
From CBC.CA

Important numbers

To donate toiletries, bedding: Edmonton Emergency Relief Services 780-428-4422
To donate to Red Cross: 1-800-418-1111
To register as evacuee or to reach evacuees: Red Cross 1-800-565-4483.
Info on hospital patient evacuees: 1-866-301-2668
Wildfire information line: 1-866-916-INFO
WildFire Road Closure Hotline: 780-644-5653 or 310-4455

blainehamilton
16-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I was stuck just west of slave lake for almost 6 hours yesterday afternoon/evening, finally got out of there close to 9pm. Trip home took almost 5 hours thanks to the detour thru Athabasca and a truck rollover I came accross about 20 minutes south of Hondo.

As a reminder to anyone who does have to travel to that area, the following highways are closed to the general public:

Highway alert: Wildfire Road Closure Hotline 780-644-5653, toll free through 310-0000 as well. Due to wildfires all access into Slave Lake is closed. Evacuation access out of Slave Lake is available on Highway 2 eastbound. Highway 2 is closed west of Slave Lake from Highway 33 to the Town. Highway 2 is closed east of Slave Lake from Highways 2A/Highway 44 into the Town. Hwy 88 is closed north of Slave Lake up to Highway 986. Highway 750 is closed from Highway 679 to Highway 88. Hwy 44 between the Junctions of Hwy 2 and Hwy 663 is closed.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/road-reports/northern

nosheep
16-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Where im at it looks like Fort Mckay is on fire too most of the camps and sites have been evacuated.

The_Cat
16-05-2011, 11:22 PM
This is terrible news. I wish the residents of Slave Lake all the best.

JBear
17-05-2011, 12:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=is6X_VoAC-Q

Aerial tour of the Town after.

0:23 is 4th Street running left to right on the bottom. 4th Ave is the first up-down street. On the corner is a skating rink you can see part of. We used to live in this area, but fortunately for now it's untouched (friends owned it). The mayors house is near here but untouched I've heard. 1 of 3 elementary schools is on the left edge, just up from the rink. Looks like fire ran in front of it.

0:37 Still looking eastward, the charred remains of the Town office, and Alberta Gov't offices attached to it on the west. Looks like the Provincial side survived mostly. I never worked in this building when I was a Town Employee, but was inside of it during my visits back. Such a shame :(... To the east and across Main Street you can see a 3 story building and 5 town homes. In between those 2, to the south of the parking lot was a 3 story apartment building. My first apartment was in that building. You can't even tell a 3 story building was there!

0:50 The main drag in this shot is 6 Ave SE. This is looking ENE. 2 or 3 - 3 story apartment buildings. There are another 2 - 3 story apartment buildings in the foreground

1:08 In the back, by the trees near the parking lot was a church

1:10 Way blurry, on the east side of the trees is the RCMP office.

1:16 Looking ESE. I think this is around the 10 Avenue SE area. The Town goes down to 14 Ave SE

1:26 On the westside of Town Looking northward-ish. Trailer park is on the west. This is 8 Street SW heading north. Looks mostly intact.

1:38 Zooming in, still looking northward-ish. You can see the Runway strip in the background just past the houses.

1:42 Looking SE past Hwy 88 & the RR Tracks I think, you can see some smoke.

1:47 Looking Southbound. Again the 3 level apartment complex. Behind it (to the south) is the Ford Dealership. People heard cars and trucks exploding.

1:49 Again the Town office connected to the Alberta Government buildings. Behind it (again to the south) is the Mall. Some damage to it.

1:59 6 Avenue SE again looking Eastward. In the forground, behind the grassed area were another 2 - 3 story apartment buildings. Keep along 6 Avenue, across 6 Street SE, were another 2 - 3 story apartment buildings, maybe 3 apartment buildings.

Blueline
19-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I certainly think that we should all stand up and heartily applaud the public profile and assistance that the Federal Government has taken and provided.

JBear
19-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Federal & Provincial. Heck even some businesses are stepping up. For example, RBC has deferred all mortgages for a year. Mortgages and some loans I think.

Blueline
20-05-2011, 08:09 AM
It was announced today that this fire has caused double the property loss that ocurred in Kelowna
Mr Harper has finally found a window in his schedule to visit slave lake
Perhaps slave lake isn't sexy enough up until today ?

Paul Turnbull
20-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Visits by political leaders to disaster sites are basically photo ops. What matters is that federal and provincial resources were in motion already.

Sonic Death Monkey
21-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Saw on the news that Emergency Relief Services needs volunteers to help handle all the donations be made to the Slave Lake wildfire victims.

24karat
21-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Knights of Columbus will be making a major contribution.