PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Map...hope this puts Edmonton on it.

DebraW
14-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Mysterious Map

Bob Layton's Blog
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So, city council has an extra 15 million dollars to put into an art gallery. I was thinking about that as the front end of my car hit a nasty pothole. But then, I donít know how much pavement you can repair for only 15 million dollars.

We had to beg to get the snow cleared so we could get into our neighborhoods, but there was 15 million dollars sitting unneeded somewhere for the art gallery. Kids in the inner city are hungry. How far would 15 million go towards a hot lunch program? The homeless are freezing but maybe they can beg enough change for a ticket to get warm in the art gallery.

How many times will you ever go there? Some on council suggest communities just outside the city should chip in, well, donít hold your breath waiting for that. And, as always, some are suggesting this new gallery will put us on the map.

I keep hearing about this map that doesnít have us on it. Werenít we told over the years that the Oilers and the Eskimos and international events and the Grand Prix and many other wonders had put us on that mysterious map? Sure hope this 15 million dollars gets us on the next one.

--30--

DebraW
14-02-2007, 04:17 PM
^ I heard this editorial this morning and it resonated with me.

Here are a sampling of the five comments (so far) back to Bob's Blog.

Wayne said...

RE: Mysterious Map

I live in Strathcona County. The last time I checked, we were on 'THE MAP'.

It's no wonder mayor Stephen Mandell would like to see municipal shared revenues. Edmonton has expensive tastes.
February 14, 2007 - 12:08:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel said...

That should be enough to rename a few streets! We can never get enough of that!

This city council is a joke! It makes me even happier to be living in a surrounding community.

February 14, 2007 - 11:22:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
terry bastable said...

great idea on the comfort station.

Perhaps we should also consider a bus service to bring them from downtown to the heart of Glenora.

But the crux seems to be that this is the Alberta Art Museum, why should Edmonton have to fund any of it, like the outlying areas we pay our provincial taxes and should not have to pay for provincial facilities located in our city.

February 14, 2007 - 10:03:54 AM

Alain Deverdenne said...

Since we can never find a solution that satisfies everybody, we may as well send out another batch of rebate cheques to Albertans. Probelm solved!!!

February 14, 2007 - 9:09:06 AM

Dusty said...

I am more concerned about the background behind these additional costs in the first place.

Is it fraud? Or is it incompetence?

It seems our society has forgotten the purpose of drawing up a contract. A contract that does not have a clear, unambiguous bottom line is worthless. The onus should be on the contractor to do proper cost estimating or even lock in his costs prior to offering a bid.

Whether an art gallery, traffic interchange, new home, or energy delivery, without a clear and definite final cost to the consumer, the only map we end up on is the one showing gullible fools who are ready to be fleeced.

DW

February 14, 2007 - 8:51:27 AM

Bob:

RE: RE: Mysterious Map
They tell us it's the rising cost of cement that's driving up the price. Maybe we should be stockpiling cement for future use.

--30--

murman
14-02-2007, 04:45 PM
^ I heard this editorial this morning and it resonated with me.

Here are a sampling of the five comments (so far) back to Bob's Blog.

DW

February 14, 2007 - 8:51:27 AM

Bob:

RE: RE: Mysterious Map
They tell us it's the rising cost of cement that's driving up the price. Maybe we should be stockpiling cement for future use.

--30--

Um... dude... that stuff hardens if you let it sit around.

Glenco
14-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Mysterious Map

Bob Layton's Blog
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

So, city council has an extra 15 million dollars to put into an art gallery. I was thinking about that as the front end of my car hit a nasty pothole. But then, I donít know how much pavement you can repair for only 15 million dollars.

We had to beg to get the snow cleared so we could get into our neighborhoods, but there was 15 million dollars sitting unneeded somewhere for the art gallery. Kids in the inner city are hungry. How far would 15 million go towards a hot lunch program? The homeless are freezing but maybe they can beg enough change for a ticket to get warm in the art gallery.

How many times will you ever go there? Some on council suggest communities just outside the city should chip in, well, donít hold your breath waiting for that. And, as always, some are suggesting this new gallery will put us on the map.

I keep hearing about this map that doesnít have us on it. Werenít we told over the years that the Oilers and the Eskimos and international events and the Grand Prix and many other wonders had put us on that mysterious map? Sure hope this 15 million dollars gets us on the next one.

--30--
Blah blah blah blah blah.

53latitude
14-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I suggest some people place there comments on that blog. Bob's Editorials have become pretty negative. I sure hope the oilers game go over to 1260 soon.

grish
14-02-2007, 05:17 PM
voted no because, well, it wouldn't. I am still very much in support of the gallery. Any investment in the arts is good. THis one will expand exhibition space and make it more attractive. That in turn will invite more people and more shows into the library. This in turn will put a little bit more money in to the city's businesses and provide a few extra jobs. It will also help the development in and around the gallery. etc, etc...

as for the sherwood park guy--sounds like he would consider a stick man sufficient to be called art. It may be so. For all the other people living in the Prk and the surrounding areas--wouldn't they come to see art displayed at this new and improved gallery? Shouldn't they pitch in?

m0nkyman
14-02-2007, 05:45 PM
We'd be a lot poorer according to my method of keeping books if we didn't appreciate art.....

Rocket252
14-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Isn't the goal of these forums to constructively and positively look at all sides of an issue?

People are asking questions about costs and rightly so. Give them the opportunity to voice their opinions.

edmowl
14-02-2007, 06:34 PM
One way to look at it is why does a different design mean in itself that there will be more economic activity?

Surely the proposed design is simply a repackaging.

It's what goes on inside and behind the scenes that makes a difference (Kudos to the present Director who seems to have made a big difference with programming and exhibitions)

JayBee
14-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Isn't the goal of these forums to constructively and positively look at all sides of an issue?

People are asking questions about costs and rightly so. Give them the opportunity to voice their opinions.

Don't you think Bob Laytion has an opportunity to voice his opinion? He gets paid for it, and then has its one-way conveyance to the voting completely subsidised through two media avenues. His opinion is megalomultiplivoiced, in fact.

If he doesn't like potholes, he's not alone, and that's fine. But if he thinks his zero-tolerance-pet-pothole-platoon (Lets call it the "Zed-Tee-Triple-Pee" for short) takes exclusive priority over, for example, city aesthetics and cultural refinement, well, please let me meekly voice my disagreeance.

ThomasH
14-02-2007, 08:53 PM
I voted Yes because it will HELP put Edmonton on the map.
Just like the updated museum, new and better quality condos, expanded LRT etc. Outsiders talk about these kind of things.

I guarantee you that filling potholes, clearing snow, hot lunch programs etc. will do absolutely nothing in putting Edmonton on the map becasue outsiders NEVER talk about petty issues.

Yes, Bob Layton is paid to complain about things, and sometimes he runs out of important things to compain about so he writes petty arguements like the one above.

Suggestion to Bob:
Complain about the lack of serious issues to complain about!

m0nkyman
14-02-2007, 09:20 PM
To hell with the map. I don't care about being 'on the map'.

This gallery is for Edmonton and Albertans. Putting it into a boring box sends the message that aesthetics don't matter, and that art doesn't matter.

That is why art galleries around the world tend to be cutting edge architecturally. Because an institution whose central goal is being the custodian of the art that matters to it's constituents had better send a clear message that design and art matter.

LindseyT
14-02-2007, 09:27 PM
I think Bob should write for the SUN.

I used to find his ramblings somewhat interesting, but lately it has become clear that he is nothing more than a bitter old man who is stuck in 1954.

Between Layton and the guy who whores himself out for Tony Roma's I can't understand how anybody could stand CHED beyond their hourly news updates.

This gallery is for Edmonton and Albertans. Putting it into a boring box sends the message that aesthetics don't matter, and that art doesn't matter.

Bingo. What kind of person wants to live in a world of Hall D's?

DebraW
14-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I think Bob should write for the SUN.

I used to find his ramblings somewhat interesting, but lately it has become clear that he is nothing more than a bitter old man who is stuck in 1954.

Between Layton and the guy who whores himself out for Tony Roma's I can't understand how anybody could stand CHED beyond their hourly news updates.

Bingo. What kind of person wants to live in a world of Hall D's?

I, I, I... can't believe I am about to write this...but, but, but I totaly agree with you (on all points, OMG). :shock:

CHED drives me nuts and with the exception of the news updates, traffic and HOCKEY (if I am on the road) I can't stand to listen esp. Brian "blow hard-whore" Hall. When he comes on to shill something...Tony Romas, That's Aroma or Adult Living (depends underwear MB :roll:) I ALWAYS turn the station.

travis
14-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Half of Bryan Hall's airtime is spent advertising. It fricking annoys me. He catches me off guard everytime. The way he makes the transition into a commercial is so smooth. I never see it coming.

ShermanT
15-02-2007, 02:14 AM
One way to look at it is why does a different design mean in itself that there will be more economic activity?

Surely the proposed design is simply a repackaging.

It's what goes on inside and behind the scenes that makes a difference (Kudos to the present Director who seems to have made a big difference with programming and exhibitions)

In my opinion, the idea that how something looks has no effect on things is an attitude this is wrong with Edmonton and it's citizens. How something looks does matter as beautiful well designed things evoke emotional reactions. Human beings experience things emotionally first then logically second, and lasting impressions have a lot to do with emotion. Yes having the substance is important, but it is also important to have the style. Sometimes it costs more to have your cake and eat it too... I say we need to get going on these things while the going is good.

ShermanT
15-02-2007, 02:17 AM

They have every right to voice their opinion and everyone has a right to a rebuttal to that opinion. I don't see anyone jumping on anyone else for having questions about the costs... I see people replying to the idea that it is costing too much and that it is not worth more than snowplowing or potholes.

TerryH
15-02-2007, 04:15 AM
Can't really say if it'll put Edmonton on more maps. I know the exterior will be noticeable but will that be enough.

But I can say that if it becomes the next "Springfield prison" it'd put the city on even more maps. :-D

Rocket252
15-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I always laugh when that phrase is used - "This will put us on the map"

Which map are we talking about these days? The cultural Oasis map?

We are definately on the sporting map - "city of champions" sic.

We are also on the shopping map - "West Edmonton Mall".

Hey we are even on the Terrorists map these days - "oil and tar sands"

But one art gallary will not put us on "the map"

It is a small but important piece that makes Edmonton what is it and what eventually will gets us recognized.

JimR
15-02-2007, 11:09 AM
It seems to me all progress would be halted if we all fell for the old "what about the hungy children" argument or "what about the "potholes" argument.

And it really devloves into a state of infinite regress.

Our downtown still needs a lot of sprucing up. The Eastern-bloc era buildings in our downtown do nothing to advance our city from a culutural or busines perspective.

We build new opportunties for us all when we have a city that people want to live in and visit. And that means having to actually pay for something once in a while that is not just an ugly, disposable box.

We are riding a major economic wave, so let's build at least a few buildings now that will enhance our city in the long run.