PDA

View Full Version : Is Edmonton dog-friendly?

sustainablesue
03-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi there! Just signed onto this forum, (great idea by the way), I am currently living on Vancouver Island..moved here from Vancouver 4 years ago to find work and a better quality of life for myself and my 2 beautiful rescue dogs.
Even though the Island sports many outdoor trails, parks, swimming spots, etc...and many, many dog-owners..shortly after my relocation here I encountered community issues relative to dog-restrictions, the threat of BSL (after the Ontario precedent), and found that not only were there little to no affordable housing options on the Island for a single income person, but that when 2 dogs came into the picture I may as well have been a violent offender for the way I was treated. Could not find a rental option in over 12 months!!..yes that is in over one year..so I had to purchase a mobile home that was one hour away from my place of work at UVic..suddenly the whole quality of life thing on the Island seemed to be thinning.
Long story short..I am recently re-educated in Community Sustainable Development and am ready to relocate where my commitment to community will be better applied and appreciated ( I hope)..and so I will again be in a situation of finding a suitable place for myself and my fur-kids. Does anyone know how strict the municipal dog restrictions are, what kind of leash laws there are on trails, in parks, etc...where are good local parks, trails for dog owners, and anything about BSL or dangerous dog by-laws, licensing, etc.. anything dog related would be helpful.

For example, I noticed that proof of spay and neuter were required for the cost reduction in license fees, as my dogs are adopted from the SPCA I have no proof of this but for my male is pretty darn obvious anyway:-), is there anyone who knows what is acceptable proof in this situation?

thanks!!

m0nkyman
03-02-2007, 09:43 PM
BSL will happen in Victoria or Edmonton over my dead and rotted corpse...

Victoria council got schooled in how hardball I play when they breathed the words BSL... that won't happen again. :twisted:

RichardS
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Edmonton is extremely dog friendly IMO. Plenty of off leash space.

DebraW
03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
As the owner of two beautiful Golden Retrievers, myself I can attest to the fact that Edmonton is very, very dog friendly. My two-year old Golden is registered and yeah it did make a difference once we had him fixed. Our pup is just 6 ˝ months old so we are just in the process of getting his license but as he is of show champion stock he will not be fixed until we decide if we are going to show him or not.

Not certain what kind of “proof” the Edmonton SPCA requires as to neutering though, males are pretty easy but females. Here in Edmonton you cannot adopt a dog or cat from the SPCA without them being spayed or neutered.

There are great dog parks and numerous off-leash areas as well and the city of Edmonton Parks and Recreation site lists them. Most owners are good “pet parents” and I find lots of congeniality among owners. Edmonton has over 40 sites where your dog can run and play without having you on the other end of the leash. Some off-leash areas are in river valley parks, some are on undeveloped land, still others in neighbourhood parks. All sites have boundaries. Area maps with boundaries are posted at each site. http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_1652294_0_0_18/offleashparksites.htm

The breed of your dogs can determine certain bylaw restrictions (i.e. certain breeds of pit bulls etc.) Here is the city website on this. http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_267_0_0_47/http://cmsserver/COEWeb/household/pets/restricted+dogs.htm

Hope this helps! :D

JayBee
04-02-2007, 05:26 AM
For those of us who are lost here, what is BSL? Any relation to BSE?

Sonic Death Monkey
04-02-2007, 07:23 AM
BSL = breed-specific legislation
So this would be things like banning pit bulls.

sustainablesue
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Thank you for the quick relpies everyone! Here is one thing that frightened me a bit on the Edmonton City web site..there is a 'restricted dog' by-law..so not BSL but close to it....and one of my dogs is a mix breed with terrier in him..he is brindle so could be Boxer, could be Staffie, who knows? So how strict is this restricted dog by-law and how can one 'prove' what dog breed their dog is if the City needs this, and do they actually ask or what?? Just wondering if anyone knows how well enforced this is....and if should I get something from my vet in BC with 'certification' that my dog is not of primary terrier breed (if I can even do that?), just to be safe.

The Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw # 13145 (242 KB) defines a "restricted dog" as any dog:

That has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal causing physical injury and resulting in a conviction under this bylaw

That has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal on more than one occasion, with or without causing physical injury, and resulting in separate convictions under this bylaw

That has been made the subject of an order under the Dangerous Dogs Act

Certified by an Alberta licenced veterinarian to be primarily of the breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club
Certified by an Alberta licenced veterinarian to be primarily of the breed American Staffordshire Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club
Note: The restricted dog definition does not include any dog that is registered, or eligible for registration, with the Canadian Kennel Club as a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.

Licence Fee
The annual licence fee for a restricted dog is $205.

Regulations and Fines
If you own or are caring for a restricted dog, you should be aware of the applicable regulations and fines as shown in the table below.

Regulation Description Fine Insurance

You must have a minimum of $1 million liability insurance that specifically covers damages for personal injury caused by the restricted dog. $500

Off Property of Owner
If you take the restricted dog off your property, you must ensure it is:

Under control Muzzled Held on a leash no longer than two metres $500

On Property of Owner
When the restricted dog is on your own property, you must have it kept one of the following ways at all times:

Indoors Outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen
Outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property. $500

Attacks Property damage $500

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal $500

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal causing physical injury $2500

Note: This section does not apply if the chase, attack, bite or damage is a direct result of the restricted dog being provoked.

sustainablesue
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
And then under the by-law section there are the following -- so when I want to apply for a new licence, I am worried I may be asked for proof that my dog is not a 'restricted dog' and proof of neuter, which I do not have. What do they mean by proof in a form that is acceptable to the City Manager I wonder? Restricted dog fees are very costly, they require a ton of personal and home insurance, and you cannot take a dog deemed to be this without a muzzle or off-leash anywhere. I have not come across these kinds of by-laws in BC before, so I am just wondering how strictly enforced they may be or if anyone has had any experience with them...because I won't move to Alberta if it jeapordizes the life, or quality of life of my dog somehow.

REQUIREMENT FOR LICENCE 4
(1) The Owner of a Dog shall obtain a Licence for the Dog.
(2) The Owner of a Restricted Dog shall obtain a Licence for the Restricted Dog.
(3) This section does not apply to Dogs or Restricted Dogs under the age of six months.

APPLICATION
6Before the issue or renewal of a Licence pursuant to this Part the Owner must submit to the City Manager.

(a) the Licence fee as established by this bylaw;
(b)proof, in a form acceptable to the City Manager, of the Dog being spayed or neutered if applicable;
(c)any additional information required by the City Manager.

m0nkyman
04-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Apparently I have to work to do... :evil:

sustainablesue
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Perhaps I will see if I can get a direct reply from the City by-law control office to see what kind of proof they require. I am planning on making a trip to Edmonton in March as well, and will try to get a better feel for the city and the enforcement of these by-laws then.

I am very unconfortable with the 'restricted dog' by-law as this is very much the same as BSL, and is not at all the same as a 'dangerous dog' by-law or act which does far more as a public safety regulator as it does not discriminate by breed, but by dangerous dog 'behaviour' instead. Any dog can be a danger to the public, regardless of breed, I am surprised that this was passed in the city at all with all of the evidence that clearly shows that breed specific legislation is completely ineffective and outright bias.

DebraW
04-02-2007, 09:37 PM
^
I hope you get a good feel for Greater Edmonton.

If the city of Edmonton is not a perfect fit for you due to dog restrictions etc., something you might want to consider is some of the bordering counties/cities as all have their own by-laws. St. Albert (N), Sherwood Park (E), Strathcona County (E), Leduc (S), Leduc County (S), Devon (S), Morinville (N), Spruce Grove(W) or Stony Plain (W) are all close to Edmonton, have their own rules & regulations and housing is somewhat less expensive.

It all depends on what you will be doing to earn a living and what kind of life you want...

Some suggestions for you to consider. :)

sustainablesue
04-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Yes! In fact I have already looked into 3 of those areas, and you are correct in that they do have different by-laws..point well taken. I do not know how easy or far this kind of commute would be but this is something I intend to measure when I visit.

My partner will be attending NAIT and then U of A if all goes as planned, so we do not want to be too far from the city. I had enough commuting when I lived in Vancouver and came to the Island to get away from that but unfortunately due to lack of affordable housing and strict pet restrictions I found myself having to move to a rural area outside of Victoria which costs me 2 hours of commutting every day..not very environmentaly friendly at all.

I shall post any updating information I do obtian, in the event that any other dog-lovers need to know about these by-laws.

I have other questions but will post them in the appropriate section accordingly. Thanks for your help so far!

DebraW
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Yes! In fact I have already looked into 3 of those areas, and you are correct in that they do have different by-laws..point well taken. I do not know how easy or far this kind of commute would be but this is something I intend to measure when I visit.

My partner will be attending NAIT and then U of A if all goes as planned, so we do not want to be too far from the city. I had enough commuting when I lived in Vancouver and came to the Island to get away from that but unfortunately due to lack of affordable housing and strict pet restrictions I found myself having to move to a rural area outside of Victoria which costs me 2 hours of commutting every day..not very environmentaly friendly at all.

I shall post any updating information I do obtian, in the event that any other dog-lovers need to know about these by-laws.

I have other questions but will post them in the appropriate section accordingly. Thanks for your help so far!

St. Albert, Sherwood Park, Spruce Grove/Stony Plain and Leduc are all bedroom communities so the commute is not too bad (freeways etc.) NAIT would be closest to St. Albert, but Sherwood Park and Spruce Grove would not be too far either. Time of commute obviously depends on time of day etc. but unless there is an accident or bad weather should be 35 minutes (max) from St. Albert. I have friends who live in all these areas and none seem too bothered with the drive into the city to attend school or work. As all the towns have all major services coming into the city is dependant on work/school.

Cheers,

sustainablesue
14-02-2007, 02:35 PM
The reply re: my inquiry with the City of Edmonton is noted below..so proof of Breed is required from a vet in Alberta, but proof spay/neuter is fine from my BC vet.

"The quote from the Animal Licensing Bylaw that you have attached, is the legislation that would be in effect within Edmonton city limits. I am not sure about the rest of Alberta but you could contact the Alberta Veterinary Association and they should be able to help you. If you have papers stating the breed of dog that would be helpful, or you could go to a Vet as soon as you arrive in Edmonton, to see if they would certify your dogs.
For the proof of spay/neuter, if you could get a letter from your Vet in BC stating that they have been done, that would be sufficient."

Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:10 PM
To: Bylaw Coordinator Internet Mail
Subject: animal control questions

Good day! I am considering relocation to the Edmonton area from BC where I currently reside, and wanted to ensure that there was nothing along the lines of BSL in existence in Alberta before I do. I do notice that there is a 'restricted dog' by-law, (as I have clipped from the City of Edmonton web site below).
I wonder, can you please give me specific information about how the City Manager goes about determining the breed of a restricted dog? What kind of documentation would I need to bring from BC to indicate the breed of my dog as not being this type of dog, and does documentation from out of province qualify?
Also, both of my dogs are adopted from the SPCA, so I do not have formal proof of their spay/neuter, i.e. a certificate, so would I also need to try to obtain something like this before moving to Alberta?
thank you!

------------------------------------
application
6 Before the issue or renewal of a Licence pursuant to this Part the Owner must submit to the City Manager.
(a) the Licence fee as established by this bylaw;
(b) proof, in a form acceptable to the City Manager, of the Dog being spayed or neutered if applicable;
(c) any additional information required by the City Manager.
“Restricted Dog” means any dog:
(i) certified by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Alberta to be primarily of the breed Staffordshire Bull Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club;
(ii) certified by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Alberta to be primarily of the breed American Staffordshire Terrier as that breed is defined by the Canadian Kennel Club;
(iii) that has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal causing physical injury and resulting in a conviction under this bylaw;

SPRUCE GROVE - appears to operate under the Dangerous Dog Act only in dealing with vicious dogs, but does not note anything Breed Specific.

STONEY PLAIN -- I have e-mailed, as I cannot find any Animal Control by-law info on the citey web site.

sustainablesue
14-02-2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/dangerousdogs/bylaws.html

Meant to post this link for details on individual provincial by-laws

rust982000
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey all I am new to the site. I am thinking about getting a pitbull but I am finding it difficult to find an insurance company that provides liability insurance for the dogs.....does anyone have any place they know of???

edmonton daily photo
07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey all I am new to the site. I am thinking about getting a pitbull but I am finding it difficult to find an insurance company that provides liability insurance for the dogs.....does anyone have any place they know of???

All (anyone that I am have delt with) Insurance policies give liability insurance for dogs. It's built into the basic personal liability coverage.

No one is going to sue your dog, so your dog doesn't need liability coverage. You do however.

Mark Gitzel
Licensed Insurance Broker.

rust982000
08-05-2010, 12:15 AM
lol makes sense :) thank you

North Guy66
08-05-2010, 01:10 AM
As long as your dog is not a babysitter.

Halo
13-05-2010, 06:42 PM

I suggest you call an insurance broker, or even a vet or the SPCA.