PDA

View Full Version : Fog lights

Medwards
30-01-2007, 09:29 AM
I dont get it. Why do people need to drive around with their fog lights on at all times. I mean, in most vehicles, its a whole extra switch/button you need to press. It doesn't do you any extra good in normal conditions, or during the day/night, unless there is fog/snow/rain.
Seeing as I drive early enough in the morning, and late enough in the day/evening to and from work (out to spruce grove) that its still dark out, its annoying, and pointless. You blind most drivers in front of you, especially if your driving a jacked up truck/ SUV. Its not like my car is lowered or anything, this has bothered me in a few vehicles that I drive/ have driven.
I just don't get it. Is this some sort of "look at me ma, I have foooooooog lights, I'm sooo cool now"

Is there something I'm missing here?

rockdoc
30-01-2007, 10:13 AM
ahhhhh, somebody out there that i agree with!!!

i drive on the highways a lot and i am sick and tired of looking in the ditch to see where i am going...

there is a problem out there....it' s called i'm the only one on the road syndrome...add those new high powered bulbs and one can't see a damn thing...i'm getting airplane landing lights...cause i want to light up the night...

great topic...

TJ
30-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yup, I have a SUV and even for me fog lights are a problem sometimes. The other day I was riding with someone in their small car and was blinded by oncoming fog lights. I asked the driver how they managed to see and they said practice and good luck.

Seems a problem to me. :evil:

North Guy66
30-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Good luck in trying to get these idiots to switch off their foggers. If you succeed can you also get people to start using their turning lights?

TJ
30-01-2007, 10:51 AM
^ good point.

Titanium48
30-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I hate the blinding 4-lamp oncoming trucks too, but the eye level headlights on the trucks/SUVs are a problem themselves even if the foglights are off. If they switched the headlights off and left the lower-mounted foglights on it would be much better, assuming the foglights are aimed properly and have the proper cutoff. I'd like to see a standardized range for headlamp height so my eyes stay above the reflector cutoff. While we're at it, how about a standard bumper height so a minor collision with a truck doesn't become a hood or trunk/hatch destroying event.

Dusty Bear
30-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Coincidentally, I had the same problem on the Groat Road while driving to work this morning. Some ***** in a mini-van behind me left his fog light (one was burned out) on, blinding me any time I checked my rear view mirror.

Barry N
30-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Coincidentally, I had the same problem on the Groat Road while driving to work this morning. Some ***** in a mini-van behind me left his fog light (one was burned out) on, blinding me any time I checked my rear view mirror.

This in it's self is a problem. I can't begin to count the number of cars on the road with only 1 headlamp functioning. Or worse yet ,people who drive with their parking lights on instead of activating their headlights when it's dark. I swear they are unaware that's it's dark. :evil:

Titanium48
30-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Or worse yet ,people who drive with their parking lights on instead of activating their headlights when it's dark. I swear they are unaware that's it's dark. :evil:

Sometimes it's hard to tell. If the streetlighting (or, more often, parking lot lighting) is so bright you have no trouble seeing it's easy to forget to turn on your lights. I'd like to see cars that have all of the lights come on with the ignition, with the light switch switching between DRL, low and high beams only.

Medwards
30-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Or worse yet ,people who drive with their parking lights on instead of activating their headlights when it's dark. I swear they are unaware that's it's dark. :evil:

Sometimes it's hard to tell. If the streetlighting (or, more often, parking lot lighting) is so bright you have no trouble seeing it's easy to forget to turn on your lights. I'd like to see cars that have all of the lights come on with the ignition, with the light switch switching between DRL, low and high beams only.

Some options in newer cars have automatic headlights - they come on automatically when it gets dark, and turn off when theres too much daylight. (Or at least go to daytime running lights)

Cured
30-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I agree. Fog lights are extremely annoying most of the time. The ones that are aimed at the road properly I can live with, but it seems like 75% of the ones you see at night are aimed straight ahead and cause huge problems for oncoming drivers.

The aftermarket HID headlamps are a real ****-off too.

RichardS
30-01-2007, 03:33 PM
DRL's are now often put in small portions and not that overly bright, so that it saves your headlights while burning was is the equivilant of a back up light.

As for the fog/rain lights, I do think that some provinces legislate their use and their aim. They are supposed to be focused to the ground in front and dispurse to the ditches. They are NOT to be focused up, their pattern is useless in this regard. If you are being blinded, it is usually due to misalignment.

People out there think fog lights help them see better at all times, sorry, you're wrong. They are only used in adverse weather conditions, and even at that you are supposed to slow down. They help you define the edge of the road, and the lines. That's it.

I too am sick of being blinded, and I am up in an SUV. :(

LindseyT
30-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I have never noticed fog lights to be a problem. Now, super bright head lights or people driving around with brights on is a different story.

Medwards
30-01-2007, 04:35 PM
I have never noticed fog lights to be a problem. Now, super bright head lights or people driving around with brights on is a different story.

how often are you on the highway after dark? (ie: a highway that has no city lights on it)

LindseyT
30-01-2007, 05:55 PM

how often are you on the highway after dark? (ie: a highway that has no city lights on it)

I drive out to the cabin at Wab just about every weekend during the summer, very often at night.

24karat
30-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I just don't get it. Is this some sort of "look at me ma, I have foooooooog lights, I'm sooo cool now"

Is there something I'm missing here?

Bingo! It's the same as those guys that have their stereos cranked up so loud that they rattle windows of buildings as they drive by. I always say "nice, stereo. How much are the payments?"

Sonic Death Monkey
30-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Anytime I see someone coming the other way with fog lamps or those HID lamps, I flicker my high beams on and off as usual. No response, and I keep my high beams on. Screw 'em.

LindseyT
30-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I still don't see what the big deal is. They are rarely as bright as head lights and the only time they are annoying usually the headlights are ultra bright anyways, making the fog lamp issue moot.

RichardS
30-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Lindsey, I think the confusion arises from the fog/rain lights (yellow, amber for fog, and a green hue to soft white for fog) to DRIVING lights, which are auxiliary lights.

...and then some are just mis-aimed by the owner as they think that the fog lights help at all times.

I've run into quite a few out by WAB, especially the redneck with the headache bar and 4 1,000,000 candlepower specials...

LindseyT
30-01-2007, 09:53 PM
So fog lights...the ones that are always near the bottom of the car aren't the problem right?

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4382/tom1ni9.jpg

Chump
31-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Anytime I see someone coming the other way with fog lamps or those HID lamps, I flicker my high beams on and off as usual. No response, and I keep my high beams on. Screw 'em.

Oh come on now, gimme a break. I've been biting my tounge on this thread...

I'm gonna leave my fog lights on in Edm next time, just to annoy all of you. :P :wink:

And Lindsey, those are them. And by the sounds of this thread that very picture is going to send people into a raging fit of FLIRR - Fog Lamp Induced Road Rage :D

Edited to add the following:
If people would actually take their vehicles in for regular maintenance once in a while, the mis-aligned headlight issue would be much less of one.

RichardS
31-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree that the misaligned headlight is a problem.

Lindsey, that is where any version of these lights can be mounted. The difference is the lens and the bulb used.

Medwards
31-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Oh come on now, gimme a break. I've been biting my tounge on this thread...

I'm gonna leave my fog lights on in Edm next time, just to annoy all of you. :P :wink:

And Lindsey, those are them. And by the sounds of this thread that very picture is going to send people into a raging fit of FLIRR - Fog Lamp Induced Road Rage :D

Edited to add the following:
If people would actually take their vehicles in for regular maintenance once in a while, the mis-aligned headlight issue would be much less of one.

Bite your tongue as much as you want. This isnt a problem inside Edmonton. Its never dark enough on street-light lit streets. The problem is when that jacked up F350/silverado/Etc with "Fog lights" is charging down the highway behind me, and his fog lights are on (pointlessly), and even if they are at the aligned properly, they still blind me via my side mirrors or rear view mirrors. I dont have vision problems, or problems with light(s).
Dont make me get out MS Paint for a detailed drawing.

Good thing rear view mirrors have the quick switch to pull the mirror up/down so that its not glaring in my eyes.

Titanium48
31-01-2007, 02:15 PM
... The problem is when that jacked up F350/silverado/Etc with "Fog lights" is charging down the highway behind me, and his fog lights are on (pointlessly), and even if they are at the aligned properly, they still blind me via my side mirrors or rear view mirrors. I dont have vision problems, or problems with light(s)...

Trucks (particularly the jacked-up ones) are a problem with or without fog/driving lights. The normal low beam headlights are mounted too high and shine directly into your back window and side mirrors. The solution is a standard headlamp height range to stop this from happening. Add an annual inspection to ensure all the lights (factory and aftermarket) on vehicles are at an appropriate height, are aimed properly and haven't been replaced with overwattage lamps and most of the blinding glare issues will be solved.

Casa
01-02-2007, 10:31 AM
As for the fog/rain lights, I do think that some provinces legislate their use and their aim. They are supposed to be focused to the ground in front and dispurse to the ditches. They are NOT to be focused up, their pattern is useless in this regard. If you are being blinded, it is usually due to misalignment.

:(

This is very true. Alberta is actually the only (or one of the only) provinces that does not have a provincial rule that states you can only drive with your fog lights on when the conditions are foggy/rainy. Most other provinces are actually quite strict on this rule, and ticket people frequently.

I find that most people in this province think they are there just for looks, and don't have them aimed properly so that even if they did have them on while driving in fog or rain they would still be as completely useless to them as when they are driving with them on in their daily driving.

KC
07-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I flash them with my car's rear fog lamp (it's bright - it's red) but never get a response.

They seem clued out - as if they don't even know their lights are on.

RichardS
07-02-2007, 01:26 PM
They know as on 99.99% of the cars you physically have to trun them on each time you enter the car...

Medwards
07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
They know as on 99.99% of the cars you physically have to trun them on each time you enter the car...

Every car/SUV I've been in with fog lights have a completely seperate button for foglights. (as you've stated) People know they are on.

ori
20-02-2007, 01:45 PM
I agree. Fog lights are extremely annoying most of the time. The ones that are aimed at the road properly I can live with, but it seems like 75% of the ones you see at night are aimed straight ahead and cause huge problems for oncoming drivers.

The aftermarket HID headlamps are a real p*ss-off too.

I would agree that if the installation was done properly where the lights were aimed on the road properly then it would not be a problem. Same for applies for driving lights(these have white light). As for those who turn on there fog lights(true fog lights are amber or yellow in color) on clear nights its useless.