PDA

View Full Version : central transportation station/ capital region market

grish
29-03-2006, 02:53 PM
The idea: Building a central transit station downtown that will house cross city bus service (ETS), link to LRT, shuttle buses to both airports (airport check-in included), shuttle bus to a VIA rail station, and direct service to all the greater edmonton communities. Invite Greyhound and Red Arrow there as well. Included in the station may be a hotel, office tower, and a convention centre. In addition, travel info for the entire edmonton region and alberta (including northern alberta). Finally, a market featuring local businesses from across the edmonton region. The station would be located downtown with access to businesses, the legislature, and Jasper Avenue--say, at around 107 street and Jasper. (Allow for the calgary rail link to connect to this station in the future?)

The rationale. Give commuters a focal point to make their connections. Give travelers a welcome gateway into the whole region/ province. Give potential investors an idea that the region is home to over 1 million people. Revitalize Jasper Avenue in that area. If Edmonton is percieved to be battling Calgary for importance in the province, this could be a point for edmonton in terms of being the transportation hub of the entire west. Promote travel throughout the edmonton region. connect communities around edmonton to the rest of the province and our airports, rail service, bus service.

The cost: should be shared partially with the surrounding communities to maintain the own terminals within the station. For example, St. Albert stop and tourist info... The cost may be offset by inviting companies lake greyhound to pitch in for their area and a lease to a decent hotel chain the hotel spaces above. The rest, it will not be cheap, but the benefits should be there.

what do ya all think?

RichardS
29-03-2006, 03:12 PM
grish...

First - WELCOME!!! :D

Second - these are awesome ideas. It is too bad that VIA is not going to the CN tower downtown anymore, as that is the PERFECT spot for what you just said.

...and with this "Stationlands" project...well....kcantor, are you there??? Possible synergy????

IKAN104
29-03-2006, 03:36 PM
I love this idea! Even without the VIA rail link it would work. VIA could easily provide a shuttle from this station to the train station.

Wouldn't the big lot across from the greyhound station be perfect for this?

RichardS
29-03-2006, 03:38 PM
/\ too far from the LRT...no?

grish
29-03-2006, 03:40 PM
and jasper ave...

RichardS
29-03-2006, 03:44 PM
If Jasper Ave is a requirement, then build something on the vacant lot next to Edmonton's WTC... :)

In FACT...that may just give us a reason to connect Churchill and Central LRT together in a pedway, and then link the Convention Center and the Mac and the.... :D

LindseyT
29-03-2006, 05:59 PM
The Boston pizza lot would give you a pretty sweet peice of land. Adjacent to the LRT, lots of room for bus terminals and an intire block that could be developed. Underground bus terminals and highrises soaring above.

IKAN104
29-03-2006, 06:04 PM
^ I like it. That location would work well.

RichardS
29-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Cool one Lindsey!!!

grish
30-03-2006, 03:41 PM
yes, great place. wonder who owns it :roll:

WMelhem
30-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Lindsey that would be perfect. Its just that I always saw that lot as the New Arena. But this is better we can have the arena somewhere else downtown. This terminal is something we dont have for some reason and many places do.

grish
31-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I sure feel better sharing this idea. But now what? Can anyone shed some light as to what we share these for?

IKAN104
31-03-2006, 08:29 AM
lol. I was thinking the same thing about some of the ideas I've read about at this forum.

So we come up with some cool ideas. What will it take to make any one of these ideas come to fruition? Any ideas on that?

grish
01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I have raized this question (the questions of "now what?...") in the site suggestion forum under "ideas to promote". I don't know how to post a link to there.

ShermanT
01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I have raized this question (the questions of "now what?...") in the site suggestion forum under "ideas to promote". I don't know how to post a link to there.

Here i'll help out :)

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=235

grish
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
yes, thanks! :P