PDA

View Full Version : Roller Blades On Whyte

will
17-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Today my wife and I were enjoying some great weather and were biking riding/ rollerblading on Whyte ave. To my astonishment there are new signs (at least new to me) that show no biking, rollerblading or skate boarding on Whyte. I can understand this move as these forms of multi-modal forms of transportation are too invasive for the pedestrian traffic typical to Whyte ave; however, with the vehicle dominate design and a lack of bike lanes (or other types multi-modal traffic) is very disheartening as a citizen who doesn't always just walk on Whyte.
I suggest no parking on Whyte during daylight hours, and use the parking spots as a bike/ multi-modal traffic lane.

I would love to hear what the city's intention is with Whyte, or any other thought son the matter.

Gord Lacey
18-05-2010, 01:24 AM
You're lucky you didn't get a ticket, as they're really cracking down on those on Whyte.

Are rollerblades banned on ALL city sidewalks (I know bikes are)? I tried to find a bylaw about it, but couldn't.

bjr
18-05-2010, 05:48 AM
From Bylaw 5590, the City of Edmonton Traffic Bylaw
webdocs.edmonton.ca/bylaws/C5590.DOC

BICYCLES
49 (1) A person shall not ride a bicycle on any sidewalk.
(2) This section does not apply:
(a) if the bicycle has a wheel diameter of 50 centimeters or less; or
(b) if the sidewalk is designated as a bicycle path.

BICYCLE CONDUCT
50 A person riding a bicycle on a sidewalk or bicycle path shall:
(a) yield the right of way to slower moving people;
(b) alert anyone about to be overtaken by sounding a bell a reasonable amount of time before overtaking;
(c) use reasonable care when overtaking another person; and
(d) travel under control and at a reasonable rate of speed having regard to the nature, condition and use of the sidewalk or bicycle path including the amount of pedestrian traffic.

OTHER VEHICLES
51 (1) A person shall not roller skate, in-line skate, skateboard or ride a scooter or other similar vehicle on any sidewalk in:
(a) the Downtown Area; or
(b) the Old Strathcona Area.

(2) This section does not apply:
(a) if the sidewalk is designated as a bicycle path; or
(b) to the use of a mobility aid by a person requiring such an aid.

(3) For the purposes of this section the Downtown Area means the area bounded by and including both sides of the roadways:
95 Street NW, Jasper Avenue NW to 103A Avenue NW
103A Avenue NW, 95 Street NW to 101 Street NW
104 Avenue NW, 101 Street NW to 112 Street NW
112 Street NW, 104 Avenue NW to Jasper Avenue
Jasper Avenue, 114 Street NW to 124 Street NW
121 Street NW, Jasper Avenue to 100 Avenue NW
100 Avenue NW, 121 Street NW to 114 Street NW
114 Street NW, 100 Avenue NW to 99 Avenue NW
99 Avenue NW, 114 Street NW to 104 Street NW
104 Street NW, 99 Avenue NW to 100 Avenue NW
100 Avenue NW, 104 Street NW to 102 Street NW
102 Street NW, 100 Avenue NW to MacDonald Drive
MacDonald Drive, 101 Street NW to 100 Street NW
100 Street NW, MacDonald Drive to Jasper Avenue
Jasper Avenue, 100 Street NW to 95 Street NW.

(4 ) For the purposes of this section the Old Strathcona Area means the sidewalks adjacent to the following roadways:
82 (Whyte) Avenue NW from 112 Street NW to 99 Street NW
104 Street NW from 82 (Whyte) Avenue NW to 83 Avenue NW
83 Avenue NW from 104 Street NW to 103 Street NW
103 Street NW from 82 (Whyte) Avenue NW to 83 Avenue NW
West side 112 Street NW from 87 Avenue NW to 82 Avenue NW
East side 114 Street NW from 87 Avenue NW to University Avenue

OTHER VEHICLE CONDUCT
52 A person roller skating, in-line skating, skateboarding or riding a scooter or other similar vehicle on a sidewalk or bicycle path shall:
(a) yield the right of way to slower moving people;
(b) alert anyone about to be overtaken by giving an audible signal a reasonable amount of time before overtaking;
(c) use reasonable care when overtaking another person; and
(d) travel under control and at a reasonable rate of speed having regard to the nature, condition and use of the sidewalk or bicycle path including the amount of pedestrian traffic.

edmonton daily photo
18-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Will I fully agree... I, on my roller blades can travel at teh same speed as foot traffic and not cause disturbances. It is illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalks to begin with and it's illegal for rollerblades to be on the road.

Just another example of the city trying to control everything it shouldn't, while more focus could be put elsewhere.

Dusty Bear
18-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I, on my roller blades can travel at teh same speed as foot traffic and not cause disturbances.

You may be able to, but there are a lot of people who can't, unfortunately.

glasshead
18-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Will I fully agree... I, on my roller blades can travel at teh same speed as foot traffic and not cause disturbances. It is illegal for bikes to be on the sidewalks to begin with and it's illegal for rollerblades to be on the road.

Just another example of the city trying to control everything it shouldn't, while more focus could be put elsewhere.

except bylaws or any law for that matter are generally written for the <1% of A-Holes of the population. I sure hope the city has a bike/roller blade/multi-use plan up their sleeve for whyte

IanO
18-05-2010, 10:28 AM
bladers and bikes on sidewalks **** me off in crowded areas... and i am the other at times too, but respect pedestrians by not putting them at risk

jstock
18-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Those sidewalks are crowded and roller bladers are a potential danger to pedestrians.

abaka
19-05-2010, 08:55 AM
The dirty truth is that skateboarders, roller-bladers, and bicyclists are far more annoying and dangerous to pedestrians than motorists are.

Mostly because of their universally entitled attitude.

The sidewalk is to walk on. Everything else goes on the road -- if you can keep up with the traffic speed and be safe. If not, you deserve everything that happens to you.

will
19-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The dirty truth is that skateboarders, roller-bladers, and bicyclists are far more annoying and dangerous to pedestrians than motorists are.

The sidewalk is to walk on. Everything else goes on the road -- if you can keep up with the traffic speed and be safe. If not, you deserve everything that happens to you.

I do not disagree, however, it like I said earlier I wish there was a way I could enjoy Whyte if I choose not to walk. The suggestion is making a lane on the road for Bikes/ boards/ skates and to use the street parking as 'that' lane during daylight hours. If it were up to me I would like 1 lane of traffic each way on Whyte and have a FREE street car running from campus to 99st.s

theblueskin
09-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I do not disagree, however, it like I said earlier I wish there was a way I could enjoy Whyte if I choose not to walk. The suggestion is making a lane on the road for Bikes/ boards/ skates and to use the street parking as 'that' lane during daylight hours. If it were up to me I would like 1 lane of traffic each way on Whyte and have a FREE street car running from campus to 99st.s

Agreed. Something like this would be far preferable to the current set up. Whyte ave is a nice pedestrian street and it would be even better if cyclists and roller bladers were given a proper space of their own, so that they wouldn't feel compelled to take to the sidewalks. Also I get tired of people cruising whyte just for the sake of it and stinking up the place. One lane for cars would be plenty.

Gord Lacey
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Actually, one lane for cars isn't enough, as evidenced by the backed-up traffic on the weekend (not a weekday during rush-hour) because they were resurfacing the road. I agree that it would be nice to see a bike lane, but Whyte is a major road traveling East/West, and it can't be one lane each way.

JOA
09-08-2010, 10:02 PM
^Agreed. Some people seem to forget that Whyte is the only way across the tracks at 103rd until Argyll...

Gord Lacey
10-08-2010, 07:32 AM
There's also Sask Drive, but that's only good until Calgary trail, which didn't help at all this weekend.

Replacement
10-08-2010, 09:08 AM

The trouble with this, and I hate to say it (but as a bicyclist I have to) is that if the parking lanes became separate bike lanes the drivers in this city would not adapt and would run you over at any right/left hand turn they make. Drivers in this city pass you without even thinking about it and immediately turn right alongside of you again without even thinking about it.

As a cyclist its to the point that if I'm on a road I assume drivers are going to pull some stunt like that.

Drivers in this city barely cope properly with pedestrian crossings. Rollerblades and bicycles move much faster and drivers seem not to take notice.
I realize in saying this that Edmonton drivers need to adapt but Whyte Avenue would be an extremely dangerous location to initiate some of that learning.

Jimbo
10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm finding drivers are much better this year. A lot! But I agree it's a good idea to assume the worst, and ride accordingly.

As for rollerblades, I agree that it's a small minority who make everyone else look bad. I've been in a lot of cities where people regularly rollerblade on the sidewalks, even busy ones, and I've never had a problem. The problem isn't so much the activity as it is those who have no consideration for pedestrians right to a peaceful walk.

One big difference now as opposed to years ago is the number of people with headphones.

will
11-08-2010, 12:58 PM

The trouble with this, and I hate to say it (but as a bicyclist I have to) is that if the parking lanes became separate bike lanes the drivers in this city would not adapt and would run you over at any right/left hand turn they make. Drivers in this city pass you without even thinking about it and immediately turn right alongside of you again without even thinking about it.

As a cyclist its to the point that if I'm on a road I assume drivers are going to pull some stunt like that.

Drivers in this city barely cope properly with pedestrian crossings. Rollerblades and bicycles move much faster and drivers seem not to take notice.
I realize in saying this that Edmonton drivers need to adapt but Whyte Avenue would be an extremely dangerous location to initiate some of that learning.

I know people are not always the most aware when it comes to driving in Edmonton, but I know first hand that bike lanes like this do work. I have seen it in Portland as well as many places throughout the US

Replacement
11-08-2010, 06:36 PM

I know people are not always the most aware when it comes to driving in Edmonton, but I know first hand that bike lanes like this do work. I have seen it in Portland as well as many places throughout the US
Except I'm telling you it doesn't work in many places in Edmonton that do have designate bikelanes and bike paths. Cars cross over those to turn left or right without even looking properly. The only reason drivers here don't literally run over pedestrians in crosswalks is they do a last second check to see if its clear. Quite often in the process of already making the turn.
This does not work for bikes which can appear to a driver suddenly and its too late. In Edmonton, even with a right of way, the safety onus all seems to be on the bike rider. Because the driver is not scanning thoroughly to see if bikes are on the path and approaching. I would say the vast majority of drivers fail to scan properly for approaching bikes on bike paths. Even if the bike rider has the legal right of way and the driver is supposed to yield. They just don't.

True latest story last week.

I'm on the river bike path leading to 105th street heading due west. Theres a light on 105th before one gets to the River road multiuse trail. Because I assume(correctly) that most drivers will refuse to stop for a bike rider there if they are on their bike I dismount and wait patiently for any car to stop instead of a fast slow down rolling turn(they are turning right and rarely stop with the redlight as if its a yield instead of a stoplight.) All the drivers are doing is looking left to see if traffic is coming that prevents their highspeed turn. I waited a complete crossing light that I had there with one arm outstretched and standing exactly where I should be waiting for one driver to allow me to walk the pedestrain crosswalk where I had the walk sign. Nobody did. I had to wait to the next light. 10 cars in succession did an illegal turn and with absolute disregard that I had the walk sign and they had the redlight.

I wouldn't call this bad driving as it verges on homicidal stupidity. Not sure what it is about that crossing. Many others just like it. You take your life in your hands or you wait patiently on the curb. A bike rider would have to be either lucky or suicidal to cycle across there going west with the pedestrian crossing walk sign.

Want an interesting exercise sometime? Count the percentage of drivers in this city that come to a stop IN the crosswalk while turning left or right instead of stopping at the actual stopline. Next count the percentage of rolling stops at a stopsign instead of an actual stop. For a cyclist this is infuriating on bike paths and dangerous as well.