PDA

View Full Version : CBC proves once again they are anti-Edmonton...

ED1
12-01-2007, 02:39 PM
http://www.broadcastermagazine.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=64223&issue=01122007

Maybe we should all write a letter to the head office of the CBC in Toronto or Ottawa and ask why CBC Edmonton is not getting a show like this...

I'll definitely be in uproar if Living Calgary shows up on CBC Edmonton.

grish
12-01-2007, 02:55 PM
i just fired off a fire one. this does make me mad!

i encourage all to send letters.

how about a letter to the editor of the Journal and the Sun about the CBC choice?

ED1
12-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Here is where you can contact the CBC...

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/contact.shtml

RichardS
12-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Is it anti-Edmonton, or just that they have no clue and forgot to look at a map?

Either way, they couldn't show any more proof that they suck. Period.

Hey CBC - ever wonder why no one is watching or listening to you? Try remembering us, and we will remember you.

I wonder if the LIVING shows were the responsibility of each provinces "branch" of the CBC. It would explain a lot considering the CBC has a huge presence in Calgary. I noticed the LIVING Saskatchewan is just that...the province.

...but remember, the CBC's ratings here are in the toilet. Maybe they thought that no one would watch, as no one is watchiong now. Could it be that the content is so bad, and that the only time Edmonton is featured on any CBC documentary or feature is for a murder stat, that we have the initial reason why no one is watching CBC?

Chump
12-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Hey CBC - ever wonder why no one is watching or listening to you?

Ya....my first thought reading this thread, frankly, was "who cares".

I watch the CBC about as often as I drive a Ford.

Now if ESPN (or whoever) was covering go-cart racing in Airdrie instead of the Grand Prix, I'd get a bit excited.... :wink:

Chump
12-01-2007, 03:19 PM
oops

please delete this reply

Dusty Bear
12-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I wonder if the LIVING shows were the responsibility of each provinces "branch" of the CBC.

Nah, the decision was probably made in a Toronto boardroom. Still proving how far removed from reality they are.

RichardS
12-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Like everything else in this country, they beleive that everything is on Highway 1....and nothing exists north of that line...

JeffB
12-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I seem to recall seeing an article earlier in 2006 about CBC Edmonton being one of only two (or some other small number) cities/regions getting a full-hour suppertime news show - something that, if I recall, even Toronto or Vancouver weren't getting. I wonder if these Living shows are filling the other regions' requirements for local content, while not expanding their news shows.

I can't find the article, but I seem to remember that CBC Edmonton's news was going to one-hour in mid-January or early February.

grish
12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
this is from their website:
CBC News at Six (Calgary)
CBC News at Six (Edmonton)
CBC News at Six (Manitoba)
CBC News at Six (Montreal)
CBC News at Six (New Brunswick)
CBC News at Six (Nova Scotia)
CBC News at Six (Ottawa)
CBC News at Six (Prince Edward Island)
CBC News at Six (Saskatchewan)
CBC News at Six (Toronto)
CBC News at Six (Windsor)
I think they have plenty of local content in different places.

living appears to be its own entity.

Sonic Death Monkey
12-01-2007, 04:49 PM
"They air weekdays at 1 p.m. "

Which begs the question, who the hell is gonna watch them anyway? :?:

ED1
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Here's the story...

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2006/11/30/cbc-media.html?ref=rss

When I first heard about it eons ago, Edmonton was supposed to be one of the pilot cities... then the last CBC strike hit. :P

ED1
12-01-2007, 06:34 PM
So according to CBC's schedules, CBC Edmonton will be airing the Toronto version of this show...

I dunno what's worse... having the Calgary or Toronto version...

24karat
12-01-2007, 07:04 PM
In the lastest BBM ratings which were released this week, for 6 pm news.

CITY TV - 900 viewers
CBC - 6000
Global - 98000
CFRN TV -138,000

CBC's almost off the map.

Caesar555
12-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Is it anti-Edmonton, or just that they have no clue and forgot to look at a map?

Either way, they couldn't show any more proof that they suck. Period.

Hey CBC - ever wonder why no one is watching or listening to you? Try remembering us, and we will remember you.

I wonder if the LIVING shows were the responsibility of each provinces "branch" of the CBC. It would explain a lot considering the CBC has a huge presence in Calgary. I noticed the LIVING Saskatchewan is just that...the province.

...but remember, the CBC's ratings here are in the toilet. Maybe they thought that no one would watch, as no one is watchiong now. Could it be that the content is so bad, and that the only time Edmonton is featured on any CBC documentary or feature is for a murder stat, that we have the initial reason why no one is watching CBC?

If you actually watch The National, Edmonton is quite well represented.
There have been at least 2 "Road Shows" produced from Edmonton, and UofA Profs/Health professionals are regularly consulted on the issues of the day. Annoyingly, however, some of the reporters using glimpses of Edmonton are based out of Calgary, Vancouver, Regina, or Toronto. But, CBC uses this tactic for stories coming out of those cities as well.

Not too much to complain about in my opinion. Who knows why they decided not to launch Living In... here. Could it be they thought it wouldn't fly? Is is an experiment?

RichardS
12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I do watch The National...and all the Edmonton I usually see is murder here, blizzard there, and the odd bit on the premier...

On NewsWorld, political science consultans are U of C. Health...more often U of C. The National...odd time the U of A.

CBC Edmonton has a great opportunity with their downtown studio near the square to really make an impact, but instead it is institutional looking, I see no activity, and no fun.

CBC Radio I unfairly blasted earlier. They do try hard. I do catch Peter Brown....

So, no. I see more Edmonton on CTV and Global National...

KJ2007
12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I've sent my feedback to the CBC...and I hope everyone on this site will do the same. I really do support the CBC and am troubled by this kind of decision...which seems to occur all too frequently. They seem to have a problem with a province that doesn't quite fit the mould (i.e. one dominant city). Ontario would be the exception, but they always include Ottawa as it is the capital. So for some reason, they think that it is OK to ignore the (at least) sixth largest city in the country; because Calgary always gets top billing (because of the Newsworld connection, among other reasons). The key is that we have to keep the pressure up. To act as if the CBC doesn't matter is just wrong. It does matter.

MylesC
13-01-2007, 10:07 AM
On NewsWorld, political science consultans are U of C. Health...more often U of C. The National...odd time the U of A.

To speak to that...I know more than one prof at the UofA that has been approached by variouis media branches to say something. However, when they don't say what said media agency wants to hear or refuses outright, they simply move on to whomever they know has a PhD and will blab about anything.

aaaaaaaaaaand I just fired off a quick email.

ridgeman
13-01-2007, 10:56 AM
So did I

m0nkyman
13-01-2007, 11:27 AM
They seem to have a problem with a province that doesn't quite fit the mould (i.e. one dominant city). Ontario would be the exception, but they always include Ottawa as it is the capital. So for some reason, they think that it is OK to ignore the (at least) sixth largest city in the country; because Calgary always gets top billing (because of the Newsworld connection, among other reasons). The key is that we have to keep the pressure up. To act as if the CBC doesn't matter is just wrong. It does matter.

Ummm.

Vancouver/Victoria
Edmonton/Calgary
Saskatoon/Regina
Ottawa/Toronton
Montreal/Quebec City
Fredericton/Moncton

What were you saying again about the mould?

RichardS
13-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah, the lack of Quebec City surprised me too...

KJ2007
15-01-2007, 02:42 PM
In case anyone cares, they are showing Living Calgary over our airwaves as we speak. Like I care about an interview with their mayor or anything else on the show. I am so disappointed in the CBC.

I called their local offices to complain and was told by a rather haughty receptionist that they couldn't 'afford' to do a show from both Edmonton and Calgary, so they decided to go with the Calgary show for now. Oh please. I said that they should be ashamed of ignoring Edmonton, yet again, and if they couldn't afford to do all of the shows that they should have dropped one from a smaller city. I can just imagine if the situation was reversed. Calgary would have a fit.

A stupid lifestyle show is just symbolic of the bigger issue. But if we just continue to suck it up, we might as well forget about our city being considered a major city in this country.

ED1
15-01-2007, 03:14 PM
In case anyone cares, they are showing Living Calgary over our airwaves as we speak. Like I care about an interview with their mayor or anything else on the show. I am so disappointed in the CBC.

I called their local offices to complain and was told by a rather haughty receptionist that they couldn't 'afford' to do a show from both Edmonton and Calgary, so they decided to go with the Calgary show for now. Oh please. I said that they should be ashamed of ignoring Edmonton, yet again, and if they couldn't afford to do all of the shows that they should have dropped one from a smaller city. I can just imagine if the situation was reversed. Calgary would have a fit.

A stupid lifestyle show is just symbolic of the bigger issue. But if we just continue to suck it up, we might as well forget about our city being considered a major city in this country.

Did you find out if CBC IS planning to do a show for Edmonton when the money comes around, or are they just not going to bother and give Thunder Bay of all places a show?

Dusty Bear
19-01-2007, 10:23 AM
The Journal's Alan Kellogg has some not-so-nice things to say about the CBC recently:

CBC persists in slanting western stories in convenient ways: Programs leave impression Alberta consists of Calgary and Fort McMurray
Source: EDM - Edmonton Journal
Jan 14 05:09
Byline: Alan Kellogg

Edmonton ignored in radio panel; Trail, B.C. deserved Hockey Day in Canada honour, not Nelson

It's like a head cold that turns into pneumonia.

Something irritating about the CBC explodes into a full-blown rant. It's been a week like that. Whenever this affliction flares up, it seems important to log a history, as hospital residents do.

So. For as long as I can remember, including the years I was employed by CKUA, successive clock-radio alarms have been set on what is now known as Radio One. I don't consider myself to be a reflexive Corp basher by any means, and remain a supporter of public broadcasting. There is a personal literature, however modest in content, available in these pages over the years to support that, including numerous pleas for further government funding, lamentations of cuts, defences of controversial moves, etc. Slaggings are much more anchored in disappointment than hostility. To my knowledge, the CanWest leadership has not surgically implanted a chip under my skin. There.

As has often been observed, if CBC didn't exist, we would have had to make it up. Alas, increasingly, you begin to find kinship with the view of Patrick Watson, who built his reputation (and lost some of it) at the corporation. That began as an early, storied creator and eventually, as embattled board chair. It's his view -- I'm never quite sure how rhetorical -- that in order to save the CBC, we must seriously consider blowing it up and starting over again.

The week began with Radio One's The Current, normally based in Toronto, broadcasting on the road from Calgary. For some of us who simply cannot bear the unctuous oozings of Shelagh Rogers, The Current is all that remains listenable on the network's once-proud morning magazine format. For this one, The Current is long on the international proclivities of its ever-so-crisp host Anna Maria Tremonti and short on national politics -- indeed, Canadian current events. Still, it's serious, generally well-produced and often innovative as to topics.

There was a time when a flagship like The Current would have spent a couple of days in each of Alberta's big cities on a swing west. You might consider that division especially appropriate in light of recent events that saw both Calgary Tory leadership candidates lose to a rural northerner. But it chose instead to mimic The National, which last year restricted its Alberta broadcasts to the southern metropolis. Call us prickly little provincials, but it's difficult to shake the notion that our national public broadcaster doggedly chooses to see Alberta primarily through the lens of Calgary, with a nod to Fort McMurray.

They don't get it, or won't. A panel on the subject of Alberta-as-nation-state, at least partially inspired by a Todd Babiak column in The Journal, consisted of Ted Morton, Catherine Ford and Roger Gibbons, each a Calgarian. Say what?

On to the not-so-little box. Hand it to the CBC TV publicists for a change. The buildup for Little Mosque on the Prairie was excellent, to the point that catching the show's premiere Tuesday became a must-see. As a quick survey of a few friends indicated, watching episode two won't be quite the priority. We'll hang in for one more, but mostly out of patriotic duty.

The concept is decent and there was talent onscreen, but much of the dialogue was weak, occasionally downright dreadful. And there is the preposterous operating premise that rural western Canadians sniff terrorists under every platter of samosas. Then again, you guess, people like Corner Gas.

Hockey Day in Canada is a pretty nifty idea, too, and has been running for seven years now. I admit to some grouchiness on the subject watching the Habs bleed four unanswered goals in the first period Saturday afternoon. And don't get me wrong -- this year's chosen hockey town of Nelson, B.C., is a beloved place in our family, has been for decades. Seeing The National anchored there Friday night was cool, as were the recurring postcard images of Baker Street and Kootenay Lake all day Saturday.

It's true that hockey royals the Patricks lived in Nelson for four years and the city was once named for the same Stanley whose moniker graces the cup. But it

isn't exactly the sort of gritty hotbed you'd think the concept was designed for. These days, Nelson is more about kiln-fired pottery and tofu scramble than slapshots and hometown heroes. Nothing wrong with that.

But much better would have been nearby Trail, the homely home of the Smoke Eaters and the classic hardbitten hockey town of national mythology. Then again, it's not much on restaurants and hotels for visiting TV crews.

They hate the jibes and can justifiably point digits back at other media outlets, including this one. But the CBC has a special responsibility -- one it constantly trumpets -- to reflect Canada as it really is, to tell Canadian stories that ring true north. It hasn't been much of a week for that.