PDA

View Full Version : wanting to move to edmonton from Montreal

ilona
09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Hi everybody,

My husband and i are in looking into moving to Edmonton from Montreal. Hopefully within 2 months.
We have nog childeren, but planning on starting a family:My questions: Is Jasper Avenue a "clean" street to move to? (Meaning to start a family there, kids safe etc?)We dont know Edmonton at all, but my husband is looking into a job at Jasper Avenue. Is Jasper ave Centrally located?
Knowing that Montreal is overall medium/low paying jobs and standard living is costly. How is that ratio in Edmonton? What is the average salary needed for rent, utilities, a car, food, phone and perhaps a child, and once in a while a night out? Simply, with the middle class salaries you guys make there, is it easy to get by?
We want to move to Edmonton and start over, lived for 3 years in Montreal and cant take this city anymore. How is the mentality of people in Edmonton? Judgemental, or very open? Any problems with the French?

If anybody can let me know anything that would be great.
Thanks a lot,
look forward to moving

Brentk
09-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Jasper ave. is the main avenue of the downtown core. If you are looking for living in a condo/loft this area town is idea, so is oliver. I believe this area of town is probably the most ideal and up and coming regions of the city.

grish
09-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Jasper Avenue is a main downtown street in edmonton. There are family friendly neighbourhoods along it or near it--Oliver is a good example. However, you are most likely to live in an apartment condo or a townhouse at best.

If you mention a price range and your needs, we will be of greater assistance with suggestions.

microbus
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
It also depends on which part of Jasper Ave you want to live on.
Jasper Ave runs from 82 St to 124 St. The part from 109 St
to 124 St is usually called the Oliver area, and an area where
you can walk just about anywhere to get anything you want
or need.
109 St to 97 St along Jasper Ave is the downtown core,
basically the centre of the city.
97 St to about 90 St or so is the Alex Taylor area, and not
the best choice to live in.
90 St to 82 St has several high rises and dozens of apartment
buildings, along with a good supply of houses.
Approximate prices, changing every day mind you...
A nice 1 bdrm apartment $800 - $1000
Power and phone $100 - $125
Groceries for two $300 - $400
Gas for one vehicle $100 - $150
Weekly night out times 4 $300 - $400

So $1600 to $2075 to lead a decent middle class life :shock:

The University of Alberta has a French-language campus,
and I've never witnessed any hostilities towards French-
speaking residents, ever.
Most Edmontonians are open-minded, and I've heard
tourists say very friendly 8)

ilona
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
It also depends on which part of Jasper Ave you want to live on.
Jasper Ave runs from 82 St to 124 St. The part from 109 St
to 124 St is usually called the Oliver area, and an area where
you can walk just about anywhere to get anything you want
or need.
109 St to 97 St along Jasper Ave is the downtown core,
basically the centre of the city.
97 St to about 90 St or so is the Alex Taylor area, and not
the best choice to live in.
90 St to 82 St has several high rises and dozens of apartment
buildings, along with a good supply of houses.
Approximate prices, changing every day mind you...
A nice 1 bdrm apartment $800 - $1000
Power and phone $100 - $125
Groceries for two $300 - $400
Gas for one vehicle $100 - $150
Weekly night out times 4 $300 - $400

So $1600 to $2075 to lead a decent middle class life :shock:

The University of Alberta has a French-language campus,
and I've never witnessed any hostilities towards French-
speaking residents, ever.
Most Edmontonians are open-minded, and I've heard
tourists say very friendly 8)

Let me change my question concerning the french. I am origanally Dutch, we moved to montreal from the Caribean and i have a hard time getting along with the mentality of the French, and their language feud. I speak french, english, dutch and german and still seem to be an outkast in montreal to the french. I was just wondering if there was any of that mentality in edmonton.
Thanks for your answers. I see that Edmonton overall is a cheaper place to life.

ilona
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Jasper Avenue is a main downtown street in edmonton. There are family friendly neighbourhoods along it or near it--Oliver is a good example. However, you are most likely to live in an apartment condo or a townhouse at best.

If you mention a price range and your needs, we will be of greater assistance with suggestions.

In the beginning moving there we would like to sit somewhere without a 1 year lease, more month by month. (if exsisting) Getting the feel of it, finding a job, getting to know the city. For the first couple of month a 1 bedroom+bathroom etc. furnished and utilities included would be great, just so we can find our turn. After that i would be looking into a 2 bedroom appartment preferably also with utilities included in a nice and newer building. I searched on the internet and saw that a lot of places are non smoking and no dogs, any idea along jasper ave. were both would be allowed?
thanks again

sdimedru
09-01-2007, 12:01 PM
the centurain tower allows smoking, but no dogs(i've had trouble finding any places that allow dogs! i'd appreciate any suggestions aswell!).

it's just off of jasper ave, on 116st

it's an older building, with 1 & 2 bedroom places

Brentk
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
[quote=microbus]Let me change my question concerning the french. I am origanally Dutch, we moved to montreal from the Caribean and i have a hard time getting along with the mentality of the French, and their language feud. I speak french, english, dutch and german and still seem to be an outkast in montreal to the french. I was just wondering if there was any of that mentality in edmonton.
Thanks for your answers. I see that Edmonton overall is a cheaper place to life.

Edmonton is quite a bit different than Montreal. My family is German and I grew up in a pretty dutch area of Edmonton. I would venture to say that these two cultures have and had a huge influence on the city.

Have you been to edmonton? having just moved back I find it to be like a new frontier town. If you are a driven person and are looking for opportunity this is the place.

24karat
09-01-2007, 12:19 PM
There's a pretty good German club here in Edmonton. I've been there a few times for their excellent buffet restaurant.

IanO
09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
www.movetoedmonton.com

some of your best information can be found here

also

www.edmonton.ca

good luck

Spencer
09-01-2007, 01:52 PM
the centurain tower allows smoking, but no dogs(i've had trouble finding any places that allow dogs! i'd appreciate any suggestions aswell!).

it's just off of jasper ave, on 116st

it's an older building, with 1 & 2 bedroom places

I know for sure the Grand Central manor apartments do allow dogs (or at least did). I lived there 2 years ago for a couple of months. They just required a $250 non-refundable pet deposit). There were numerous people there that had dogs and with Railtown Park right beside it walking the dogs was pretty easy. I am not sure of their smoking rules though.

microbus
09-01-2007, 08:52 PM
ilona... I've never witnessed mentality like that....
my wife is from the southern states, and still has
a bit of a drawl, and no one makes her feel like
an outcast cuz of that :)

Glenco
09-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Boardwalk Properties has several buildings that are "small dog" friendly. They have a website you can google.
Edmonton is a multicultural city, friendly, and has lots to do and see. People here generally do a lot of walking and spend time outdoors when they are able. We have a lovely greenspace and walking trails..even designated "off leash" parks for dogs. Getting jobs here is quite easy right now, and there are lots of opportunities for advancement for those who are interested in moving ahead. :)