PDA

View Full Version : City Council Interaction Required

IKAN104
23-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I would love to see this forum be a way for citizens to interact with city council. Many great ideas, suggestions and valid complaints are voiced here and it would be a shame if the decision makers were unaware of it all.

Council members would not only have their finger on the pulse of the people but could also direct other citizens, who have contacted them directly, to these forums to discuss their opinions with "the rest of the city".

All of city council as well as EEDC decision makers and top city bureaucrats should be requested to monitor these forums and better yet, contribute to these forums.

I would hate to see this turn into a "letters to the editor" website where people voice their opinions to a powerless audience.

Forums are a great place to vent but if we really want to make a difference then the decision makers have to be in on the conversation.

MylesC
23-03-2006, 03:14 PM
That's a great idea. Considering there has been interest and interaction from the Next Gen group perhaps they could get Councillors Krushell and Phair to pop over!

RichardS
23-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Folks,

The intent of this forum is for everyone to post their ideas. I would love it of a government or chamber official posted responses, but in the highly political nature of their world, I would not hold my breath.

However, I KNOW they are watching. I know some of the log on names and they lurk daily. So, this is a bit more than letters to the editor. Why?

Because letters to the editor only can publish a few things, and mostly it is the boo birds that write. Attaboy's and the like don't make good copy for their limited space. This forum will allow all to write and in near real time.

So, much much more powerful than a letter to the editor.

ShermanT
23-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I am glad to know that people in positions of power are at least watching so that all of this isn't just for our own entertainment. The intention is to always do something and to make things happen in this city.

Even for those who just read, this forum might eventually get to the point where it could take too much time to read. I know something that another forum does is to do a weekly or bi-weekly post to summarize all of the interesting things that happen in their forum (with links to the threads in case they want to know more). We might eventually need to start doing this, so that busy individuals don't miss anything.

RichardS
23-03-2006, 06:30 PM
GREAT idea.

Fell
23-03-2006, 06:53 PM
That is genuinely nice to know that municipal government is keeping an eye on these forums. It's understandable, given their situations, that they often keep mum.

RichardS
31-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Remember, the city is aware of us, and they DO watch.

urbangrrrl
18-05-2006, 03:28 PM
You seem to be a fairly knowledgeable lot. I'd like to think that intelligent responses are taken seriously too. But if I could interject... a trivia bit ... the chamber of commerce isn't government. I know, I'm a small business owner. the chamber doesn't get money from the city or the province or the feds... it derives its money from its members... like me! the chamber represents the business interests of this city, not government.

So, before you throw the chamber into the mess that can be government, don't. It's private enterprise baby that makes this city run! :D

RichardS
18-05-2006, 04:10 PM
:D

We never associated the Chamber with Government, however, the Chamber does have its own unique set of politics...

urbangrrrl
18-05-2006, 06:51 PM
As does every organization, virtual or not.

RichardS
18-05-2006, 09:03 PM
Oui