PDA

View Full Version : Cloured text

16-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Why has the option of coloured text been removed? Can it be put back please.

edmowl
16-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't know but I can lend you an 'o' for your thread title ;)

16-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't know but I can lend you an 'o' for your thread title ;)
:D Thanks and well sptted! :-D

edmowl
16-08-2009, 05:21 PM
:) :) :)

Medwards
16-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm glad they removed coloured text (and also sizing)

Green Grovenor
16-08-2009, 08:45 PM
^ High-floor text and low-floor text are the same, IMHO.

16-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Why? Coloured text is a great tool in responding to posts to highlight points. Can't understand why you would be so against it. Bring it back.

ShermanT
17-08-2009, 01:51 AM
The first reason is that spammers seem to use text that is the same colour as the background as a way to hide links and text from moderators. Just another way to prevent spam from being effective.

The second reason was that colour and font sizing were being abused to direct attention to a users' posts instead of using the content within the post. Basically it was another way for people to scream their points across at each other instead of discussing in a civilized manner. The majority of posts on C2E do not use colours or font sizes and the few that did caused disruption to the flow of the thread when one was trying to read it.

Bolding, Italicizing, and Underlining are the various tools that can already be used to highlight points. With these other tags in place to provide emphasis/highlighting, there seemed to be very little benefit to keeping colour/sizing so they were tossed. Are there any other reasons you can come up with to keep them?

17-08-2009, 06:32 AM
The first reason is that spammers seem to use text that is the same colour as the background as a way to hide links and text from moderators. Just another way to prevent spam from being effective.

The second reason was that colour and font sizing were being abused to direct attention to a users' posts instead of using the content within the post. Basically it was another way for people to scream their points across at each other instead of discussing in a civilized manner. The majority of posts on C2E do not use colours or font sizes and the few that did caused disruption to the flow of the thread when one was trying to read it.

Bolding, Italicizing, and Underlining are the various tools that can already be used to highlight points. With these other tags in place to provide emphasis/highlighting, there seemed to be very little benefit to keeping colour/sizing so they were tossed. Are there any other reasons you can come up with to keep them?

On your first point Ceres, it is unfair that the minority (spammers) are taking away the majorities right to use colour if we want. Colour was an option before.

Secondly, those tools are fine but colour is much clearer to highlight someone's point. There's no need for larger sizing.

Thirdly, if colour has been tossed then why are new posts displayed in red throughout? Obviously C2E has use for colour.

Dusty Bear
17-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Is this really an issue? Good riddance to garish multi-coloured posts in oversize fonts that made it hard to read and came across as screaming.

grish
17-08-2009, 09:05 AM
very small font: what if I write my posts
very large font: by warning that the font size is
huge red font: huge (and red)?
regular font: Would that be read any differently?

kcantor
17-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Why? Coloured text is a great tool in responding to posts to highlight points. Can't understand why you would be so against it. Bring it back.
i for one won't miss the multi-coloured, multi-hued posts any more than i miss capitalization although i will admit that capitalization by others doesn't bother me the same way.

i think one of the other reasons not to keep them is that without them there is - or should be - a greater emphasis in writing and presenting one's position logically without relying on the crutch of screaming colour (and as noted, we do have italics and bolding and quotation marks...).

Is this really an issue? Good riddance to garish multi-coloured posts in oversize fonts that made it hard to read and came across as screaming.
:smt038:smt038:smt038

besides, we also still have our emoticons (noting of course that they also lose their impact when overused).

19-08-2009, 06:40 PM
This message displays when I remove the colour code tags from my signature "Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 1 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines". The signature is a few words long.

noodle
19-08-2009, 07:01 PM
This message displays when I remove the colour code tags from my signature "Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 1 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines". The signature is a few words long.

I would highlight the entire field (use ctrl-a on your keyboard or cmd-a if you're on a mac) and just retype it from scratch rather than edit out the tags. That'd clear up any lingering issues.

ShermanT
19-08-2009, 07:08 PM

I've added a few more characters and an extra line to signatures. That should fix the problem.

noodle
19-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I've added a few more characters and an extra line to signatures. That should fix the problem.

Pfft. Showoff.. ;)

ShermanT
19-08-2009, 07:29 PM
At least I use my powers for good and not for evil... gotta count for something right? :P

19-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks noodle and Ceres (but I still miss the colour :sad:).