PDA

View Full Version : Extending the pedways

highlander
02-12-2006, 01:45 PM
There are 3 projects right now that have an impact on the pedway system. The Bay building Reno plans that are posted show that they will connect to the Manulife 2 podium pedway. They don't have a basement plan posted, but I'm sure that they will connect to bay station too. The others havent posted any plans.

The Cecil's sobeys should also connect to bay station. There's noone who would connect through The sobeys, but to not connect is a lost opportunity. The Professional is the same, but with a logical connection to Corona. There is also limited opportunity to expand north. In the future, Corona Station Could be the hub of a new Pedway section.

The question is, are the Connecions Planned? What does the city have to say?

IanO
02-12-2006, 02:47 PM
UofA will be connected to bay...

Sobeys - NO POINT IMO....too small....for that $$$

Proff would be nice to connect to corona, but im more that any major new towers, hotels should be.

Cured
02-12-2006, 03:04 PM
^ I agree, not much point with the new Sobeys.

I think the planned Norquest expansion has a series of pedways. It would be nice to see them link up to Corona Station.

It would be nice to have a better pedway link from the main library to Edmonton Center - rather than detouring around Churchill LRT. Especially when i have the little kids with me.

There are a few buildings in the Government district that have pedways between them, but overall there is no comprehensive system in place. It would be nice to connect them all together and then to the Legislature tunnels and back to Corona LRT.

newfangled
02-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I did some work on the design of a proposed pedway underneath Jasper that would have run from the Westin/WTC to the LRT Entrance by the Hotel Mac. This must have been at least a year ago or so by now, and I have no idea what became of it.

RichardS
02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
It's still around...and still being talked about.

MylesC
02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
The Professional is quite a ways from Corona. I don't think that an extension would be worth the money.

Sonic Death Monkey
02-12-2006, 07:48 PM
The Professional is quite a ways from Corona. I don't think that an extension would be worth the money.
Not really. The underground pedway from Corona extends as far as the SW corner of 108 and Jasper. The Professional is almost across the street from that, so a pedway connection there should be very do-able.

That rat-maze pedway trail through the old Bay/Manulife 2 is annoying, so I hope that path gets straightened out and shortened once all is said and done.

highlander
02-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Corona's Pedway should extend right to the NW curb of jasper & 108, so If they build the whole expansion then there should be little cost to Connect.

The Gov't district could definately use some better connections.

highlander
02-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I just looked up a UofA map, and it seems that there have been additions to the network since I graduated, mostly at the engineering side. If the new Physics Building adds the connections that it should, there will be a main (SUB+Engineering+Science+Cab) system and the HUB secondary system, and only a few lonely buildings (education, Earth Sciences, Van Vliet). The Hospital is all interconected too, so there are only a few missing links to make it all connected. The university will likely soon have a bigger network than downtown.

LindseyT
03-12-2006, 01:42 AM
I just looked up a UofA map, and it seems that there have been additions to the network since I graduated, mostly at the engineering side. If the new Physics Building adds the connections that it should, there will be a main (SUB+Engineering+Science+Cab) system and the HUB secondary system, and only a few lonely buildings (education, Earth Sciences, Van Vliet). The Hospital is all interconected too, so there are only a few missing links to make it all connected. The university will likely soon have a bigger network than downtown.

Give me a pedway from Windsor to ChemE and I'll never have to walk outside again! It's been pretty sweet the past couple of weeks to be able to stay in the cozy indoors of NREF and ETLC with the occasional trip by pedways to SUB for subway.

Edmcowboy11
03-12-2006, 02:27 AM
One connection I'm wondering about is from the new Nurses building on the MacEwan campus to the parkade. So far I don't see anything as I've driven by. I think it would be pretty silly if they have the parkade right next door and no connection.

Sonic Death Monkey
03-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Back to downtown...

If any development around the CN building occurs (Stationlands, new NHL arena), I want to see some pedway connections from City Hall and/or Churchill.

I also want to see the pedway through the library parkade (between Churchill and the Westin) redone somehow. Perhaps enclose the existing one.

GizmoForMayor
04-12-2006, 12:56 PM
The pedways are great when it's cold, but they also have a nasty habit of killing all life on the street. Buildings and retail should be focused towards the outside in my opinion and that's only viable if people are 'forced' to walk on the sidewalk. With the risk of sounding like a anti-pedway nazi, I would suggest freezing the construction of any new ones (pun intended) and tell people to buy warm coats instead (plus, global warming will make pedways obsolete soon anyways :P )

I know this idea won't be very popular...but I'm throwing it out there anyways

Citysource
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
It's still around...and still being talked about.

There is a budget request to fund this before City Council for construction to begin next year.

IanO
04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
The pedways are great when it's cold, but they also have a nasty habit of killing all life on the street. Buildings and retail should be focused towards the outside in my opinion and that's only viable if people are 'forced' to walk on the sidewalk. With the risk of sounding like a anti-pedway nazi, I would suggest freezing the construction of any new ones (pun intended) and tell people to buy warm coats instead (plus, global warming will make pedways obsolete soon anyways :P )

i used to think so too...but if it is nice out, people will GO OUT.

GizmoForMayor
04-12-2006, 05:33 PM

I hear what you're saying, but people will likely use them as soon as the temperature goes below zero...which means pedestrian street traffic could be hurt for up to six months of the year.

Personally I think there are better ways to spend our money than to build pedways...

Don't get me wrong, I like being nice and toasty too, but our downtown already looks like a ghost town and we need all the people out on the streets...

ChrisD
04-12-2006, 10:25 PM

I hear what you're saying, but people will likely use them as soon as the temperature goes below zero...which means pedestrian street traffic could be hurt for up to six months of the year.

Personally I think there are better ways to spend our money than to build pedways...

Don't get me wrong, I like being nice and toasty too, but our downtown already looks like a ghost town and we need all the people out on the streets...
Yes, but the same can be said for very hot climates like Phoenix etc. Many people in these cities tend to stay indoors when its extremely hot for 5-6 months of the year. Buildings are specifically designed to adapt to the local climate.

onishenko
04-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Yes, but the same can be said for very hot climates like Phoenix etc. Many people in these cities tend to stay indoors when its extremely hot for 5-6 months of the year. Buildings are specifically designed to adapt to the local climate.

Only so in the 'new world'. Take any old European city that hits -20 in the winter, and you'll find a lack of pedway systems. I guess mainly beacause pedways are a thing of 1970ish and up.

I would tread very lightly with pedway systems. Now I'm no urban planner, but I see pedways like crack. A little seems harmless, but people want more and more. It's addictive. (see Calgary for example).

Do it where it makes sense. New office tower to LRT. Underground parkade to adjoining office tower, etc. But be careful. (see cheesy Canadian movie, 'WayDownTown' for more info)

LindseyT
04-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I would like to see some new ideas when it comes to pedways.

Who says pedways have to stay on the same floor and typically cut a building in half? When a pedway enters an office podium with street front retail why can't the walkway go down a flight of stairs and allow access to street front retail from the inside. Then go back up a flight to get high enough to clear the street.

I'm sure someone is creative enough to come up with a design that allows retail and restaurants to be accesible from the street and enterior while maintaining a recieving/shipping area.

It gives people the option of staying warm in the winter, while still being able to access the street front business that are so important.

IanO
05-12-2006, 11:55 AM
^they do now....if you look at the pedway signs there are 3 levels:

above
street level
below

LindseyT
05-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, but if your going from building to building chances are you are staying on the above level. It obviously helps interior and second floor commercial but hinders street front commercial.

Basically find a way to build more pedways that help out street front commercial primarly.

Edmcowboy11
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Well I don't know if Edmonton is ready or need this style of pedway but there are the pedestrian bridges that are located in Las Vegas that eliminate the street level crosswalk but basicly ends there. If I can find a pic or two I'll post it. It's a pretty good idea they have there. I think that type of crossing would be ideal for heavy car traffic areas and intersections.

m0nkyman
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Well I don't know if Edmonton is ready or need this style of pedway but there are the pedestrian bridges that are located in Las Vegas that eliminate the street level crosswalk but basicly ends there. If I can find a pic or two I'll post it. It's a pretty good idea they have there. I think that type of crossing would be ideal for heavy car traffic areas and intersections.

Those bridges exist 'cause there are between six and eight lanes of traffic (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Las+vegas,+nevada&ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=36.114728,-115.173004&spn=0.002162,0.005407&t=h&om=1).
:shock: Try watching a seventy year old retiree cross that!!

summerdave
06-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Not sure if an extended pedway system would kill the hustle and bustle on the street. While not totally comparable to Edmonton's current pedways, or a proposed extended system, Montreal has a massive underground system and its street life is anything but dead.

Check it out - http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C_Target/News/EN/HTML/566_EN.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1

Sonic Death Monkey
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I think Edmonton was moving towards Montreal's underground model back in the early 80's before downtown started to die. There's proof of that, including the long-closed Churchill's Pub and the "future retail space" inside Bay Station. And I vaguely remember a Hawkeye's I somewhere in Central Station (Hawkeye's II is on 102 St).

Edmcowboy11
08-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I brought up the idea of the Vegas bridges because they don't kill the street level pedestrian traffic, they just the pedestrians safely accross the road.