PDA

View Full Version : Who will speak for Edmonton?

daleb
27-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I voted in the PC Leadership race last Saturday and I'm really disappointed that no Edmonton candidates made the final three. Does this outcome worry anyone else?

Brentk
27-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I am just concerned about a Morton win. I am not sold on Dinning because I am think he is focus on Calgary. I am not usually one to raise that flag (the Calgary flag), but with Dinning I am worried Edmonton will be only a political centre, not a business centre....what do you all think?

Chump
27-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Morton leans so far to the right he's going to fall over any second.

Dinning has addressed the concern about a balanced approach to both cities and we're just going to have to take his word for it. :roll:

Glenco
27-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Morton leans so far to the right he's going to fall over any second.

Dinning has addressed the concern about a balanced approach to both cities and we're just going to have to take his word for it. :roll:
Never trust a Calgarian.
We are witnessing a major split in the conservative party. If Morton wins the leadership he will have a hard time winning the next election. If Dinning does then there will be a split of the right wing. Either way I think the next election we may see a true working legislature in Alberta with real opposition. Something that has not happened in Alberta in living memory. Every riding will be of significance. Even Edmontons

Caesar555
27-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Hopefully this rift in the PC party signals a shift in the power structure in Alberta. Will a 'new' party finally take over? Man, I hope so.

grish
28-11-2006, 11:36 AM
So, now that we are down to 3, is it Stelmach or Dinning that would be best for edmonton?

LindseyT
28-11-2006, 12:10 PM
So, now that we are down to 3, is it Stelmach or Dinning that would be best for edmonton?

A farmer vs a guy who fights gridlock everyday on his way to work.

One would make our urban centers a priority, one would make a dated unsustainable rural lifestyle a priority.

Neither are ideal...but I know who I'll rank first on my ballot.

grish
28-11-2006, 12:18 PM
I kinda had a similar thought--Dinning is more likely to understand the fight with the counties, for example.

LindseyT
28-11-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd hope so.

Then again, Edmonton could go for broke. Vote for Morton knowing he would have a hard time winning Edmonton and Calgary, and perhaps allowing an Edmontonian to run for liberal leadership with a good chance of winning the urban vote in the next election.

Glenco
28-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I think Ted Morton is best for Edmonton. He will upset the apple cart so badly no one knows how things will settle. It will be interesting and besides we have nothing to lose. Jim Dinning will not give Edmonton equal billing with Calgary. Not going to happen. No way. Who do you think paid for his campaign?

RichardS
28-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Dinning gave Edmonton a lot of lip service during the run, but I also think that he has a provincial view, so I don't see this as heavily Calgary-sided as Klein. Ted, well, I am sure Taft is licking his chops at the chance of his team winning. Ed, I find him to be the least charasmatic of the 3, but also the most moderate. I haven't made my mind up 100%, but I have a good idea.

Glenco
28-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Dinning gave Edmonton a lot of lip service during the run, but I also think that he has a provincial view, so I don't see this as heavily Calgary-sided as Klein. Ted, well, I am sure Taft is licking his chops at the chance of his team winning. Ed, I find him to be the least charasmatic of the 3, but also the most moderate. I haven't made my mind up 100%, but I have a good idea.
You could be right about Dinning, he did support Betkowski in the last leadership race and then had to do some fast talking to get in Klein's cabinet.
There are three main constituencies in Alberta. Rural, Edmonton and Calgary. You need two out of three to win. If he can not win the rural vote he does need Edmonton badly.

E-Town Crusader
28-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Jim Dinning is the Alberta equivalent of Paul Martin.

Fear mongering is being used on Morton like it was on Harper in the last federal election.

MylesC
28-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I believe Dinning is *much* more provincially focused as opposed to Klein. He was born here and spent much of his life here.

*shrug*

grish
28-11-2006, 06:06 PM
what about Stelmach's being from Greater Edmonton. Is he our home-town boy now? I mean, Edmonton candidates have come out in his support. Perhaps Edmonton will find more prominence in the cabinet--hence Edmonton's interests are finally taken into account.

MylesC
28-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't vote for Stelmach because it seems that he could be the PC's version of Strom.

Steady Eddie...but so boring some loud and charismatic guy could come along and rebuild some other party in his image and sweep.

grish
28-11-2006, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't vote for Stelmach because it seems that he could be the PC's version of Strom.

Steady Eddie...but so boring some loud and charismatic guy could come along and rebuild some other party in his image and sweep.

I am just talking about the benefits to Edmonton.

Personally, I don't care much for the PC's. I am a little more to the left in my wordly views. I would actually be very happy to have a slightly weaker PC party so that things are never rammed through again. I much prefer slim majorities to keep governments on their toes.

ThomasH
28-11-2006, 06:13 PM
I have a feeling that with Stelmach Edmonton won't be able to annex the surrounding communities.

RichardS
28-11-2006, 08:19 PM
I am not looking for so much a benefit to Edmonton as I want a leader with a PROVINCIAL focus. Do the announcements/business from the capital and travel only when necessary and that will be a HUUGE shift.

But then, that's just me...http://images.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

grish
28-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a feeling that with Stelmach Edmonton won't be able to annex the surrounding communities.

I don't think we want to annex them as much as we want to find a workable arrangement to share in the good, the bad, and the ugly. share the profits and share the costs of infrastructure and share the costs associated with the social challenges and...

Sonic Death Monkey
29-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Hopefully this rift in the PC party signals a shift in the power structure in Alberta. Will a 'new' party finally take over? Man, I hope so.

If Morton wins, it's possible that a lot of centrist Tories will switch to the Liberals and one of the failed leadership candidates (Hancock) takes over from Taft and leads them to victory in the next election. People like Gary Mar are already hinting at leaving a Morton-led Tory party.