PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Drive vehicles

Funk E-Town
20-11-2006, 12:41 PM
What’s up with all these Right-Hand Drive cars invading our streets?

I understand that some people are using a loophole in the import laws that allow vehicles older than 15 years of age to enter the country with fewer restrictions.

Now I understand that for some, owning a supped-up Nissan Skyline All Wheel Drive Twin Turbo is the cat's meow - but aren't these just plain unsafe to operate on our streets (I am mainly referring to highway use here - where visibility when passing is impaired by the simple fact that you are now sitting on the wrong side in your car to have a proper field of vision of oncoming traffic)

I guess it will take a few accidents, complaints, a review committee, then the hiring of an "expert" consultant who will conduct an "environmental scan" that will determine "industry best practices" (and mostly bill us a big chunk of change - of course...) to reveal that: if you are going to allow multiple vehicles to travel at high speeds on a common stretch of road - maybe standardizing things may reduce risk to the occupants... duh...

LindseyT
20-11-2006, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a skyline.

I don't understand what you mean by the visibilty while passing. Yes, you are on the other side of the car so you don't have a parallel line of sight when coming onto up coming traffic...but is it any different from passing a car on your right on a standard vehical?

Regardless, people should be aware and comfortable with the size of their car.

Funk E-Town
20-11-2006, 01:49 PM
...but is it any different from passing a car on your right on a standard vehical?

You never pass a car on the right in two-single lane two-way traffic (or at least I hope you don't...)

This applies to instances in the above noted setting - if you are operating a right-hand drive vehicle and try to pass - you do not have a clear sight of oncoming traffic unless you cross the median with the left side of your car.

This is the main reason why in places like Australia, vehicles that are not complying to the local standard are not allowed on the road.

Now I have absolutely nothing against people owning neat - unique - rare to see - imports. As long as they do not present a reduction in safety of our roads. These folks should have to convert them to Left Hand Drive if they want to operate them.

grish
20-11-2006, 05:34 PM
to safely pass you need a good driver who can follow the rules of the road. If the car one is driving is mechanically sound--who cares that the driver is on the other side?

RichardS
20-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I do, considering I had to dodge out of the way of some dolt in a RH drive car the other day....

IanO
20-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I do, considering I had to dodge out of the way of some dolt in a RH drive car the other day....

i know more than a few people with RHD cars and id bet most are better drivers than avg. joe. Not all and i can understand the concerns here, but i dont see this being an issue to be honest.

i just wonder how they do drive-thru:>

RichardS
20-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Reply with their own megaphone....

I care because the RH drivers are not all as good as the folks you or I hang around. Drivers here are pretty poor in the first place...not many have seen an autocross track...

IanO
20-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Reply with their own megaphone....

I care because the RH drivers are not all as good as the folks you or I hang around. Drivers here are pretty poor in the first place...not many have seen an autocross track...

true, but i dont see RHD vehicles all crashing and stuff.

RichardS
20-11-2006, 07:04 PM
No, only because of their numbers...

I almost took one out on Sunday - but 4WD and a ditch saved that little pocket rocket from becoming my speed bump....

LindseyT
20-11-2006, 07:13 PM
...but is it any different from passing a car on your right on a standard vehical?

You never pass a car on the right in two-single lane two-way traffic (or at least I hope you don't...)

I was referring to passing a car to your right going in the same direction as you.

Chump
20-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Just drive the RH car backwards.

Problem solved.

RichardS
20-11-2006, 08:56 PM
call it a forklift?

TroyD
24-11-2006, 08:29 AM
i just wonder how they do drive-thru:>

They drive backwards like in the movie "Cars"...lol.

KC
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
No big deal - just another hazard on the roads like cell phone users and coffee drinkers (while driving).