PDA

View Full Version : It's not that bad after all...

Transplanted_Edm
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I can take a lot of shots at the city on this board.

But I had a day off today and rode my bike from Old Strathcona along the river to Emily Murphy park, along the edge of the golf course and then into Hawrelak Park, across the footbridge and then north.

Uncrowded trails, lots of interesting terrain. And about halfway up the climb out of the valley on the NW side of the river near Lauier Heights there is a break in the trees with the most amazing view of downtown. From there it looks like the city is rising out of a vast forest with an amazing river running through it.

Continued on past the mansions and then down the huge hill in Mckinnon Ravine and along River Valley Rd. Back across the river using the LRT bridge and then home.

Truly awesome and all by pedal power directly from my front door. I haven't been to any other city in the world where I could have that good of a ride.

RTA
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I don't think I truly LOVED Edmonton until I took my mountain bike into the river valley for the first time, and found several places where you can stop over the river and feel like you're out in the bush...except that you're still right in the heart of the city. To this day, biking around here is one of my favourite things to do.

I commute daily from Glenora to Downtown by bike, too, and while 102 Ave. would be the most straightforward route, I actually take McKinnon ravine and the trail along River Valley Road, because it is so much more peaceful and scenic, and often it is even faster, too (even despite having to tackle the hill behind Royal Glenora to get into downtown). I never get tired of this route, it's just a beautiful and relaxing (and - thanks to the hills - rather invigorating) ride on my way to and from work.

And to think it's just a very small percentage of the trails available in the valley.

edmontonenthusiast
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Biking doesn't interest me, but I know it's a big draw and though it isn't for me, I will continue to support the (amazing) trails in the River valley.

MrOilers
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
When I take my bike through the river valley I always think of the people who say they hate living in Edmonton so much, and all they have ever seen of the river valley is when they drive across a bridge.

I do wish that the river valley had a couple of destinations in choice places. And no, I'm not talking about clearing trees and putting up big buildings where parkland should be... all it would take would be a couple of cafes here and there where you could stop and have an iced tea or coffee with a sandwich on a small patio near the river, looking up at downtown. How awesome and complete would a river valley bike ride or walk be then? Urban parks in other cities could suck it!

raz0469
02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
^but what about the dilapitated "cherry" trailer on River Valley Road?! That's a destination!

Sarcasm aside, totally agreed.

Chmilz
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
A few public washrooms along the trails wouldn't hurt. Parked at the Edmonton Golf Club and rode the Mill Creek Trails to the Velodrome and back, and the entire way I really had to go...

danimalrex
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
^but what about the dilapitated "cherry" trailer on River Valley Road?! That's a destination!

They have those in the suburbs too. Try something unique. ;)

kcantor
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM

and just think - if that were a private and not a city parking lot, it wouldn't meet city standards... not that it's in a high profile location or anything.

microfiche
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Our rivervalley really is a gem. I think that we will look back one day after Edmonton evolves over the years and reminisce when you could ride your bike on uncrowded trails and feel like the entire river valley belonged to you........Eventually, people will catch on and I forsee a time when trails will be packed full of happy citizens & walking, running, longboarding and cycling in this world class urban park.

I feel this way about Whyte Ave - used to hang out there when I was a teenager in the early 90's - wasn't as crowded as it is today - didn't get why more people didn't hang out there. You got to know everyone else who hung out there and it had a great vibe. Although I'm proud that it's now a nationally recognized strip and that's great - I haven't really "hung-out" there in about 10 years.........doesn't feel like it's mine - and that's cool.

My point is - enjoy it while you can. Our river valley is a unique experience. As Transplanted_Edm mentioned - you really can't find this kind of experience in a place this size anywhere.

raz0469
02-06-2009, 01:31 PM

and just think - if that were a private and not a city parking lot, it wouldn't meet city standards... not that it's in a high profile location or anything.

Yeah, the irony kills me every time I drive by that lot. Twice a day. And it's really quite refreshing to go for a run down river valley road and end up choking on all the dust stirred up by a single vehicle driving in to the lot.

240GLT
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I ride my bike past there (on RVR, not the trail) and have little issue with the dust. In fact I stop at that trailer every once in a while. Especially when raspberries are in season.

Riding in the River valley was my first realization that I had in fact made a good choice in moving from Calgary. As an avid cyclist, I appreciate the valley as one of the citys' finest features.