PDA

View Full Version : 7 block premium bus service

Sonic Death Monkey
29-05-2009, 06:37 AM
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Premium+buses+test+drive+soon/1642268/story.html

Premium buses may test drive soon

City report wants summer start to express service on Stony Plain Road between 156th and 149th streets

By Gordon Kent, The Edmonton JournalMay 29, 2009 3:03 AM

Premium bus service that could be the precursor of LRT lines in some areas should start this summer along seven blocks of Stony Plain Road, a city report recommends.

The improved service, with frequency comparable to LRT, requires measures that give buses priority, such as designated lanes and advanced traffic signals at congested intersections, says the report released Thursday.
The changes, featuring limited stops, buses coming more often and travelling at higher speeds, would be made over the next three years.

The first stage would see an eastbound morning bus lane open this summer on Stony Plain Road from the Jasper Place Transit Centre at 156th Street to 149th Street.

Am I reading this right? A premium bus service that only goes 7 blocks? Do people have to transfer buses at each end?

Blueline
29-05-2009, 07:47 AM
This is more than bizzare
I suspect that the drivers have come up with this as a solution for an area of congestion.
Sounds short sighted at a minimum

booster
29-05-2009, 07:50 AM
^^It is not a premium bus service for 7 blocks. It is a east bound bus lane for the morning rush to allow all buses to go quicker. Kind of like the 102Ave downtown peak bus lanes. This is a good thing. At least a start. Now if they can do this to Millwoods to remove blockages as well as expand those areas that do not allow the articulated buses on route 8 that would even be bigger.

Dusty Bear
29-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Read it again with my emphasis added for clarity:

The first stage would see an eastbound morning bus lane open this summer on Stony Plain Road from the Jasper Place Transit Centre at 156th Street to 149th Street.

knowitall
29-05-2009, 03:36 PM
This is only one small piece and a first step to a big list of improvements contained in the "Premium Transit" Report. See attachements to item E3..

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/city_organization/tpw-committee-agenda.aspx

edmonton daily photo
29-05-2009, 03:46 PM
BRT
PBT

THey look pretty much the same to me... I would like to see the thought pattern behind this idea evolution.

sundance
29-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Just wait until they release the Ultimate Collectors Custom Edition bus service which goes from point A to point B and stops when there is people waiting or if people want to get off of the bus at a particular stop.

BTW I'm being sarcastic with the above.

An express lane is a good idea for express portions are good ideas for some routes. If they allocate a bus lane for that portion of Stony Plain Road it would probably improve service for the bus riders, cars of course will take a bit longer.

edmonton daily photo
29-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I can't wait for the limited edition foil hologram buses to come out along side the Ultimate Collector Custome Edition People Movement system.

jstock
29-05-2009, 05:50 PM
That stretch of road is pretty fast already in the morning on the 14. It's the evening rush hour that is the pain in the rear.

Edmonton PRT
29-05-2009, 10:09 PM
BRT
PBT

THey look pretty much the same to me... I would like to see the thought pattern behind this idea evolution.

Hopefully this is not a smoke and mirrors tactic to rebrand BRT with PBT. BRT was trounced by Council and the public who did not wish to write a blank check on expensive buses and dedicated lanes costing unknown $$$ when an express sign on the bus, simple signal advances, scheduling changes and some painted lines on the road would have dramatic improvements in transit srevice without all that capital expenditure.

"most transit systems are owned by civic entities with an entrenched administration that is not innovative nor accountable to the end user. There is no interest to improve the service of a monopoly. In monopolistic bureaucracies, the only incentive is to grow the bureaucracy. When they are not delivering, the answer is always the same - we need more money to solve the problems."