PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever eaten Crayfish Before?

MagicMonkey
28-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I've seen crayfish in the NSR but never tried catching and eating them before, anyone tried it? I made a trap so catching them should be easy enough and I look forward to trying to cook'em up.
I'm going to try the trap over the weekend so I'll post how it goes after.

MJ
28-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Never eaten it. Before you are taking fish out of any body, do refer to the Sportfishing Regulations.

On Crayfish:
Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.

Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.

On the NSR, do read the Mercury section of the regulations on page 23 and be aware of the risks.

Happy trapping, be sure you're killing these things when you get them out of water. And if you don't have a sportfishing licence already, it doesn't look like you need one since I believe this should be classified "by hand" capture of crayfish instead of angling. Whenever in doubt, do contact SRD.

Further reading I found at outdoorsmenforum.ca http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=318103

Blueline
28-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Too many articles to post
Have eaten them in New Orleans and elsewhwere

sbrussell
28-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Had them last summer in Portland. They are delicious, but a lot of work to eat. Curious about the the NSR variety.

chupa
28-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Crayfish are excellent eating and yes they are very common in the NSR.

I would however use caution eating them from this watersource as the river does have high concentrations of naturally occuring mercury from the silty bottom.Considering that crayfish are like living filters it may not be a good choice from this waterbody...

MagicMonkey
28-05-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't know, people were catching and eating them down stream of the waste water treatment plant in Spokane without any intimidate ill effects. And they eat "crawdads" in the southern states and those rivers by virtue of population density alone have to be dirtier then the NSR. But it does give you pause to think, they are bottom feeders and scavengers.

All I know is I've been unable to find any postings or articles locally or provincially that give personal experience. I bought some canned cat food from Walmart tonight and I'll try the trap overnight tomorrow and see what comes up.

richardW
28-05-2009, 10:48 PM
delicious stuff, its kinda like a poor mans lobster. but ya lots of work to get the meat out.

this also reminds me of an episode of survivor-man where he just stuck his hand in a random muddy hole and pulled out this huge crayfish, it was ridiculously random.

Blueline
29-05-2009, 07:56 AM
"I would however use caution eating them from this watersource as the river does have high concentrations of naturally occuring mercury from the silty bottom.Considering that crayfish are like living filters it may not be a good choice from this waterbody..."

Have you ever thougfht what all those yummy crabs and lobsters are eating ....
Like I said, if your like me and love these foods:
Don't Pet the Dog !

chupa
29-05-2009, 09:35 PM
From Health Canada.

North Saskatchewan River
Caution: Health Canada has set fish consumption guidelines based on the concentration of mercury in fish tissue and the human body's ability to eliminate mercury at a slow rate. You should not eat fish from the North Saskatchewan River more than once a week and do not eat the liver or other organs. Pregnant women, women of child-bearing age, and children under the age of 15 should not consume the fish at all. The mercury in many areas of the province, including the North Saskatchewan River, is likely from natural sources (Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations 2007).

MagicMonkey
04-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Well I caught one crayfish in the trap over the weekend, and a few more after, cooked it up and it tasted fine. I've left the trap in the water all week and surprisingly no one has stolen or tampered with it.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3301/3595175127_f9d52b89a4_m.jpghttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3630/3595983236_c173137b59_m.jpg

richardW
04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
nice. but you might not get very far eating that with a spoon ;)