PDA

View Full Version : West LRT derail pool

moahunter
27-03-2009, 11:40 AM
When do you think the current WLRT planning will be derailed for further study, or whatever? Will Council push it back, or will Council even be allowed to vote? Your votes are visable to others (click on the vote). Here is the latest time-line.

Stage 1: Listening and Learning - March/April 2009
Stakeholder interviews and questionnaires will share information on route options and seek input and feedback to identify specific impacts from each route option

Stage 2: Evaluating Benefits and Impacts - May/June 2009
Workshops and e-Consultation will be held to get input from stakeholders and the public on strategies to address pedestrian/traffic impacts; community/institution/business route options

Stage 3: Sharing Information on the Recommended Route - September 2009
Open houses and communications materials will be used to share information on the recommended route that will be presented to City Council

Stage 4: Presentation to City Council and Decision - November 2009
A public hearing will be held in November 2009 where residents, stakeholders and the general public can share their input directly to City Council

Stage 5: Report Back - December 2009
Information on City Council’s decision will be reported back to participants.

sundance
27-03-2009, 11:51 AM
You might want to add another option to the poll, later than Jan 2010, with this council it will probably be decided in 2030 or so

moahunter
27-03-2009, 11:53 AM
^To clarify, the poll is not so much, when will WLRT route be decided (for we know that may never happen in our lifetimes), but rather, when will the current process as per above, be derailed - maybe a delay, or similar (must happen before end of December, or we will have a final decision).

moahunter
27-03-2009, 12:13 PM
To keep this thread "bumped" and attract more votes - predict what you think will happen (lets not debate, just predictions - should be fun to look at once this is over).

I predict that City transport department will still recommend 87 avenue, and the City will be asked to consider some other metrics. This will happen in September, and the time line above postponed.

GreenSPACE
27-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I think it will get derailed in November at council hearings when people point out to council that every option that transportation is giving is flawed in some way or another. Which means it probably won't go back to council till early spring 2010.

Also affecting that is that if there is any delay in decision in November, Council will be forced to delay it till the new year because of budget deliberations.

grish
27-03-2009, 12:49 PM
i think the non-connected option down SPR might derail the progress as people would question how these options can be seriously and reasonably compared.

Chmilz
27-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I think in Stage 3/September. Doesn't matter which route is taken, that community will be up in arms about it.

I'd like to see whatever decision is made be based on current development, and not on potential future development. SPR theoretically *could* be the best route. Maybe. Someday. 87th ave would be the best route today. Take only facts and leave aside all what-if's and maybe's and the options get narrowed.

MrOilers
27-03-2009, 01:49 PM
It'll go right until the end, then at the last minute everything will be scrapped and the process will start all over again in June 2010.

They'll find an excuse.

etownboarder
27-03-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure how council can use "Laurier heights NIMBY" attitude to derail any WLRT decisions... do they do it because they're afraid Laurier residents will vote against them in the next election? Sorry folks, but Laurier isn't that dense of a neighborhood. How many votes could there possibly be in Laurier? 500-1,000? There just isn't any good reason to derail anything... make a decision and stick to it.

edmontonenthusiast
27-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm going to be optomistic and say they'll get a choice this time.

Green Grovenor
27-03-2009, 02:38 PM
The SELRT route maps, released today, seem to solve one of the WLRT mysteries. The route on 102nd Avenue through Rail Town would connect with SELRT, if the High Level Bridge alignment is selected as the path to Millwoods. Perhaps that why the original WLRT consultants disappeared, only to be replaced by the SELRT team. Lewis Estates to Millwoods would be one line.

Or is that too much of a conspiracy theory?

moahunter
13-11-2009, 05:52 PM
And the outright winner, is, DTrobotnik. Well done! You correctly predicted when WLRT would again be derailed.

Sorry there is no prize for winning, as in reality, all of us have lost, again.