PDA

View Full Version : Edmontons Theatre

Dan119
13-11-2006, 06:28 PM
I think that Edmonton should update it's aging theatres. Even though The Jubilee was just renovated they haven't done anything worthwhile with it. Why not try to convert Edmonton into a Toronto, or even better, any large U.S. city. When broadway shows finish their run in New York they travel around the continental U.S. and Toronto performing. Why not try to have them come up here to Edmonton for a change. Maybe then we can promote our cities theatre around the world by showing that we have a viable theatre district with worthwhile shows. All we get right now are shows that are 5-10 years old. No one wants to see those shows when we could be filling our theatres with shows that are maybe a year old. The cities arts community would flourish. We, along with Toronto would be the only 2 cities within Canada to even get those big shows so People from western Canada would flock into Edmonton to see the shows instead of going to Toronto or Seattle. It's a win-win solution.

Fell
14-11-2006, 02:53 AM
I love that idea Dan. I wish I could remember which theatre it was, but in that issue of Maclean's with the cover story (paraphrasing) "Move over Toronto, Calgary is the new centre of the universe," it mentioned that Calgary had gone to some very generous lengths to rebuild and improve the city's theatres to better represent the burgeoning cosmopolitan culture of the city.

Wow, sorry for the run-on sentence.

What are the chances that there's money at either the civic or provincial level for anything like this? I admit, I only go to the theatre once in a blue moon here, but I do often feel jealous pangs when I read about some of the shows being put on in Toronto.

I think that this would also be a worthwhile marketing endeavour on the part of the city, in conjunction with The Fringe and perhaps The Works. I think that, if managed properly, it could really draw in many new theatre-goers as well as bolster the Edmonton brand as a whole!