PDA

View Full Version : Rezoning . . .

Brentk
10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
As Edmonton has grown, zones that used to be primarily for Industrial or Industrial-Commercial have been surrounded by Residential, Residential-Commercial, and Professional Business parks.

Even though this can't be changed in the short term this could changed in the long term, I suggest a more focused look at Industrial parks so they do not land in the middle of the city, but continue to grow. Right now it seems there are pockets of Industrial lands just placed randomly through out the city giving the appearance of a lot of empty space, and quite frankly it doesn't make the city look attractive to have so many industrial pockets.

Just drive down 99st southbound to get a good example. From the Whitemud you hit Residential-Commericial, then Industrial, and the South Edmonton Commons, and then a Business Park...we need change.

IanO
10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
indeed...not to mention RA9 and HDR and CMU and RMU issues downtown which the new downtown plan hopefully will address.

slogan
14-11-2006, 03:20 PM
When I think about rezoning, I am thinking about stopping the massive residential developments and focus on pushing Edmonton up, not out. If Edmonton had a denser population, I believe we would naturally have more of the good ideas that are being talked about happen. We would have cooler, non-chain retail stores) we would have a more vibrant arts community, we would have the base of population to support the excellent activities that would put Edmonton on the map. We have a large enough population to support a lot of great things, but the fact is that they are spread all over the area and most people are not going to drive 45 minutes to go support a small, funky store. They will on the other hand drive to a massive complex of box stores that are the blight of the city.

We need to change the rezoning to force more condos to be built, not single detached houses. Sure it would mean that we can't all afford to buy our piece of paradise, but it would bring more vibrancy to the city in the same way that a lot of major centers we wish to emulate already have.

IanO
14-11-2006, 03:31 PM
When I think about rezoning, I am thinking about stopping the massive residential developments and focus on pushing Edmonton up, not out. If Edmonton had a denser population, I believe we would naturally have more of the good ideas that are being talked about happen. We would have cooler, non-chain retail stores) we would have a more vibrant arts community, we would have the base of population to support the excellent activities that would put Edmonton on the map. We have a large enough population to support a lot of great things, but the fact is that they are spread all over the area and most people are not going to drive 45 minutes to go support a small, funky store. They will on the other hand drive to a massive complex of box stores that are the blight of the city.

We need to change the rezoning to force more condos to be built, not single detached houses. Sure it would mean that we can't all afford to buy our piece of paradise, but it would bring more vibrancy to the city in the same way that a lot of major centers we wish to emulate already have.

i like where you are going, but a dense city does not mean more vibrant arts or cooler stores...that can happen either way.

slogan
14-11-2006, 04:13 PM
I agree IanO that a dense city does not always mean success. You need that density to be at a certain age/ prosperity/ interest level, but I feel like the economics could work in Edmonton. For the longest time, everyone could afford a house in this city and they could purchase these in almost any zone. I feel that because of this, this "cool" (read - young and looking to spend their money) demographic is spread throughout the city and we just can't get the critical mass to support a lot of the ideas being thrown around this forum. Old Strathcona is probably the closest to the kind of density I am talking about due to the proximity of the University which draws in the "cool" demographic. If we had more of these dense pockets similar to the university within the city, we would likely see more of these funky areas. Hence if we rezoned, people in this demographic would buy more condos, less houses (no longer affordable) and more funkiness would result.

It could be too much of a good thing and density brings other pressures, but so do 1 hour commutes.

I can't say I have thought my idea out very well, but perhaps some others have and can add some sense.

IanO
14-11-2006, 04:18 PM
dont worry i know where you are going and agree mostly...but density doesnt make things cool, the people do...and in Edmonton there is a demo that is exactly what you speak to, but in general most Edmontonians seem to prefer costco, walmart, and WEM than high street etc.

but i do very much agree about your points on densification.