PDA

View Full Version : Hazardous Tree Removals Along River Valley Trails

urbanlandscape
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Last September I moved to Edmonton and noticed that the edmonton river trail system really needs to evaluate their hazardous trees that plague the river trail system.

These such trees can be seen acting as a lodgepole sandwiched up against each other.

Broken limbs nested in with other good tree branch crotches.

No one wants to see chainsaw tree stumps but also public safety has to be taken into consideration. Look behind the University of Alberta and you will see aspens and spruces in amuck all over the place.

Yes this is expensive/environmental concerns but public safety is at hand.

Kind of hard for community groups to go in and start cleaning up as free labour as liabilities are at hand. Trees are heavy and unpredictable.

So in this I do not know.

Do we start a tree removal system of removing the hazardous trees.

that costs money huge amounts of it.

Trees stable the slopes. Remove the ecosystem and we get landslides.

Urban forestry has to take this into consideration.

I love the river valley system and I think it is a great system but liabilities come into public safety.

Thank You

Chump
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Woohoo, another flatlander! Welcome :D

Regarding your post - I don't understand the safety concern - falling trees?

RichardS
08-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Isn't it Banjo-playing stubble jumper?

An insult from Winnipeg sure is calling the kettle....

Sonic Death Monkey
08-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Public safety?
Well, I know I've nearly had my eyes gouged out by overhanging branches whilst cycling the valley, so maybe you have something there.

But there's also appearances as a reason for trimming trees. I've previously mentioned the trees blocking the Decore lookouts on Sask Drive...I mean, why have these lookouts if you can't see a bloody thing?

Chump
08-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Isn't it Banjo-playing stubble jumper?

An insult from Winnipeg sure is calling the kettle....

I forgot about that...don't underestimate the size of stubble! Need some good vertical momentum to clear some of that stuff I find.

Sounds like that skill may be useful on edmonton trails, methinks...

Until the chainsaws come out - wear a helmet!

DanC
08-11-2006, 10:49 PM
The City does monitor and remove dangerous or fallen trees. What you can do if you feel it is an immediate danger is contact the Park Rangers. They should be able to take a location down and put it through to the right people to have such hazards removed.
HOWEVER, please don't be a whiny bitty and call in ridiculous things such as a branch hanging into a path or brush growing over the side. It is a natural area and that comes as part of the deal. If you feel a branch is going to get ya, stop and break it off and throw into the bushes.

ralph60
08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
I am an avid hiker and have walked virtually every trail in the river valley and ravine system numerous times. I think there is a definate need for a tree maintenance program but it need not be horrendously expensive. I think a couple of crews of summer students with chainsaws and wood chippers (I would hire NAIT students, U of A students and chainsaws would be a poor mix) could make a huge improvement to the health and appearance of the valley.
The dead trees are both a hazard to people using the parks and a fire trap.
I think that cutting down the dangerous dead-fall, laying the trunks on the ground, chipping the branches and leaving the chips on the ground would eliminate the hazards, preserve the forest bio-matter and maintain the animal habitat that depends on dead trees. Not all standing dead trees need to be cut, they are essential habitat. The city cuts a lot of the dangerous trees but I feel removing the branches and chipping them would eliminate the fire hazard and be more aesthetically pleasing.
The river valley is Edmontons greatest asset, it must be preserved as well as be maintained. My greatest fear for it is a wildfire that would feed on all of the dead undergrowth.

urbanlandscape
09-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Ralph60 you have hit the nail on the head in regards to deadfall and other bio matters in regards to fire hazards. More and more the dry summers get so does the thatch in the river valley.

When you walk on the stuff you can hear the crunchiness of dryness under your feet.

I think the aspens are aging and succumbing to the droughts that we've been having.

The bad areas of mention for hazardous trees is the trails along the river bank north of the muttart.

I was there one windy day and I ran to get out of there it was horrible.