PDA

View Full Version : Be a part of C2E History!

RichardS
07-11-2006, 08:58 PM
On Wednesday, November 22nd from 7 - 9 pm, several C2E moderators and the 2 Co-Chairs of the Steering Committee want you to be a part of our Top Ten Ideas for a Greater Edmonton panel. This will be held at the World Trade Center in Edmonton.

That night, we will review the submissions from the Great Ideas for a Greater Edmonton contest, as well as the Great Ideas from the original forum. The objective is to come to a consensus as to the forum's Top Ten for 2006. This Top Ten will be broadcast at a media event in December.

To that end, we are inviting you to send to us your intention to attend. Please reply to this thread if you can make it. We will apporach this in 2 ways depending on user response.

The first 30 responses (max).

-OR-

If we get more than 30, we will have to draw names from a hat and ask those folks to attend. The reason for 30 is to allow for the set focus groups we have planned for the evening. If we find an absolutely overwhelming response, we may look at increasing that number, but we still want to keep the night managable.

So, if you can make it, please attend.

DanC
07-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Most likely I can make it.

MylesC
07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Alas....that is the night of our last full rehearsal before concert season hits :cry:

DebraW
08-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I am sure I am in YEG that night. So count me in.

Great :idea: :D :D

Cheers,

m0nkyman
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Can people show up even if they aren't on the panel? I can't commit because I'm leaving for Victoria on the 15th, and I haven't booked my return flight yet...

Breezy_Bri
08-11-2006, 06:38 PM
If you end up being short of people let me know. Wednesday nights I host the Little Flower Open Stage http://littleflower.ca , however I can find someone to substitute for me. One thing I do wonder about though is do you think it is appropriate for a person who has submited an idea to also serve on this pannel?

RichardS
08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Yes, it is. There will be enough people to weigh in on ALL the ideas, therefore I am not worried about one idea getting any preference. Plus, how we have this organized it will be pretty much impossible for any idea to come in pre-loaded with support.

RichardS
08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Can people show up even if they aren't on the panel? I can't commit because I'm leaving for Victoria on the 15th, and I haven't booked my return flight yet...

We need to know by the 18th...

Sonic Death Monkey
08-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Sure, pencil me in.

IanO
16-11-2006, 06:36 PM
im in...

CW
17-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm in as well

onishenko
17-11-2006, 03:51 PM
count me in, I'll try to make it.

lux
17-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd be glad to.

lux
17-11-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd be glad to.

(I didn't just disqualify myself from the contest by agreeing to look at the proposals did I?

Arghh....Yet again, the age-old dilemma of greed vs. civic duty.)

RichardS
17-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Nope. The prize is long awarded by the time we discuss.

lux
17-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Woohoo!!! Greed and civic duty!

uberurban
18-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Since Richard assured me I don't need to dress up fancy... I can be there

Maybe I can get that RAM plan done by then too

ShermanT
18-11-2006, 02:26 PM
...but please wear clothes!!!

ThomasH
19-11-2006, 02:42 AM
I'll try to be there, no guarantees though.

RichardS
20-11-2006, 07:21 PM
So, if you can't be there Wednesday, can I ask those who want their input to create their list using the following....

2-3 short term ideas from the forum (max 1 year to implement)

2-3 medium term (1-3 year) goals/ideas from the forum.

2-3 LONG term (+3 year) goals/ideas from the forum

and

1 Legacy project.

Any combination of this list is fine.

You can PM me with your list, or e-mail [email protected] and title your e-mail MY LIST.

RichardS
21-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Additionally folks, can can you come prepared with what you think are your top ten overall ideas, that would help speed things along.

RichardS
21-11-2006, 11:07 AM
One more thing, if you could please CONFIRM your attendance for Wednesday night. We need final numbers tonight to ensure that we have enough people attending to make this effort purposeful.

If not, we will move this to the 30th of November. PLEASE LET US KNOW ASAP SO WE CAN LET OTHERS KNOW.

Breezy_Bri
21-11-2006, 11:07 AM
If you end up being short of people let me know. Wednesday nights I host the Little Flower Open Stage http://littleflower.ca , however I can find someone to substitute for me. One thing I do wonder about though is do you think it is appropriate for a person who has submited an idea to also serve on this pannel?

Richard I can't seem to find a sub for tommorow night so I guess I won't be able to make the meeting.

DebraW
21-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Confirming attendance for tomorrow or Thursday, November 30 if the date is changed...

Scratchlana
21-11-2006, 02:25 PM
The date of the meeting has been changed. It will be held Thursday, Nov. 30 at 7:00 pm at EEDC.

DanC
21-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Oh jeez! So Nov 30th now, got it.

IanO
21-11-2006, 03:16 PM
nov 30th im there.

DebraW
21-11-2006, 04:11 PM
My confirmation for Thursday, November 30th.

Are the other details the same?

Same times? 7 - 9 p.m.
Same place? WTC--6th Floor?

RichardS
21-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Oui

Sonic Death Monkey
21-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Nov 30 works better for me. I'm there.

Sonic Death Monkey
21-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Additionally folks, can can you come prepared with what you think are your top ten overall ideas, that would help speed things along.
We could each post our Top Ten ideas in the Ideas forum for further feedback and discussion.

lux
21-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Nov 30 works better for me2 for some reason. So consider me confirmed.

uberurban
21-11-2006, 07:44 PM
The 30th is better for me too. That will give me more time to work on my RAM plan and it means I can get more than 3 hours sleep tonight, which was all I was looking forward to before I read this. Ahhhh... relief..

I have so much time now I can even post the odd message :wink:

ShermanT
21-11-2006, 07:51 PM
30th is good for me as well.

Wow... a RAM plan? Should we all get our PowerPoint presentations going as well? I suddenly feel under prepared :P

onishenko
21-11-2006, 11:49 PM
count me in for the 30th.

highlander
22-11-2006, 12:44 PM
30th is good. Much Better. I'll be there.

TroyD
23-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I'll be there Richard and hopefully the rest of the original Promote Edmonton will be there.

ThomasH
23-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I'll try to be there but again, no guarantees.

Sonic Death Monkey
24-11-2006, 09:30 PM

My Top 10 ideas:

1. Fix the hairpins at Gateway and Sask Drive immediately as a relatively cheap and short-term fix, until a long-range plan is in place for Gateway.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1186

2. ETS to take over the High Level streetcar, make it fully operational and extend it down to Whyte Ave at one end and downtown to the Shaw/Louise McKinney Park at the other. This would not only give commuters a good transportation alternative, but it can give tourists a nice view of our city, Legislature and river valley enroute to Old Strathcona. And those old streetcars add a touch more charm.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=205

3. Turn MacDonald Drive between the Crowne Plaza and Hotel Mac into a pedestrian-only promenade with cafes, bistros, wine bars and select retail. And if MacEwan vacates their building as rumoured, it would be an excellent multi-use facility (resto-bar/retail/office/entertainment venue...please don't give it to some church/cult). Replace the plankboard stairway going down to the bottom of the hill with concrete and/or asphalt.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=639&

4. "Different Collars, Different Colours" slick megamedia blitz to promote Edmonton
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1105

5. Considering that companies bid for ever-changing naming rights to the arena (Rexall Place, Skyreach, etc), allow for a corporate/public/P3 arrangement of a brand-new downtown arena on the Post Office site. Any corporations who chip in the largest amounts will receive the naming rights by descending contribution for a fixed period of time before it rotates to the next one. And let the companies outbid each other for the top spot. Further details and examples in the following link. Oh, and make sure this new arena is connected by pedway to the rest of downtown.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256&

6. Knock down the parkade entrances blocking out the plaza behind the Milner library and integrate this plaza with its surroundings (Churchill Square, Rice Howard Way).
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1341

7. Rossdale redevelopment: scrap the silly water research lab idea and turn this into a multi-use resto-bar/retail/office/entertainment/boat-launch/historical-interpretative district to bring more life to the banks of the river valley. No, not a Granville Island but something far better.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207

8. Get more life on High Street/124 St as an alternative to Whyte Ave, and integrate with new RAM.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561

9. Proceed with the Legislature area revitalization as planned. Knock down the Annex. Level the Terrace and create a promenade similar to idea #3 above. Gut the Federal building for a new hotel. As for displaced office workers...office space crunch -> new 30 story tower in the core.
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49

10. Create a Greater Edmonton Regional Authority (GERA) modelled on by GVRD. Voting power preferably by per-capita otherwise by majority vote. The metro area already shares healthcare and some utilities, so extend this to public transit (METS = Metro ETS or GETS = Greater ETS), major roads between municipalities, emergency services, recreation and tourism. Revenue-sharing is not necessary at all, but revenue will determine how much each city or municipality chips in on metro transit and the rest. And above all, recognize that economic prosperity in any one municipality benefits Edmonton and the metro area as a whole. Upgraders in Strathcona -> workers with money to burn -> shop, dine and drink in Edmonton. All this requires is an Alberta premier and municipal leaders with some long-term vision.

RichardS
24-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks SDM.....you didn't have to post them online... :)

Sonic Death Monkey
27-11-2006, 08:37 PM
What can I say except that I'm egotistical enough to do so! :twisted:

uberurban
30-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Where's the sleepy faced smiley? I'm tired... can't see myself having enough done to unveil my RAM plan at the meeting. Should be ready to put something on here before the end of the weekend though. Is the meeting still on? Another postponement to next week would be cool :wink:

DanC
30-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I might have to pull out...looks like I am getting hockey tickets for the game tomorrow.

ThomasH
30-11-2006, 12:46 AM
I'll be there.

onishenko
30-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Love the list Sonic, some great ideas!

What time tonite? 7? What entrance?

RichardS
30-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I will lock this thread now as I have sent a private message to everyone who RSVP'd. Please send me (RichardS) a private message if you have any more questions.