PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Shame?

moahunter
10-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Perhaps the mods could start a thread (only they would post in) which would list bans - be they permanent, or just temporary. If SPAM, IP address would be listed. This would give a place to list reasons for ban, and to emphasise the rules of the board.

Here is an example I saw on another site:

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=161622#post161622

I don't know if it is a good idea or not though - just thought I would raise it.

etownboarder
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't think that's necessary.

moahunter
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
I think it may not be either, it doesn't seem very "social" or "friendly". On the flip side - if a lot of people are "wondering" about a poster, it would be a place to clarify.

Admin
10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
99.9 % of the bans have fallen under two categories.

1)
Spam. A public log of the shoes465 etc doesn't really accomplish anything.

2)
Return posters. less than a handful of people who get banned and log in a couple days latter with a different name and usually a different ip. Any sort of public log just gives them more of the attention they crave.

As with any suggestion of this nature, it will get discussed by the mods.

MylesC
10-01-2009, 02:38 PM
I could also see a problem with I.P. addresses these days as many users through a single, say, Shaw node, would all have the same IP. That becomes very problematic for areas like downtown.

moahunter
10-01-2009, 04:08 PM
I think the IP publish would only be for spammers, at least, that's what the web site I posted seems to do. That is a military web-site - so it has a bit of a different dynamic than c2e and may suit more "discipline" if you will.

Admin
10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Some also forget the desire here by many to remain anonymous, and that there is a bit of respect for the dialogue between the posters to remain private. This even gets expressed in ways where posters will openly chastise moderation decisions on the forum, yet demand responses given in private. While these requests conflict, this site is in enough legal concern right now without adding the open publishing of disciplinary actions.

Gord Lacey
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
On the flip side - if a lot of people are "wondering" about a poster, it would be a place to clarify.

Yeah, I've been wondering why edmontonenthusiast was banned from the site. He started tons of threads, and was a tad annoying, but banned.... I didn't see anything that (I thought) would justify that.

Gord

etownboarder
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
On the flip side - if a lot of people are "wondering" about a poster, it would be a place to clarify.

Yeah, I've been wondering why edmontonenthusiast was banned from the site. He started tons of threads, and was a tad annoying, but banned.... I didn't see anything that (I thought) would justify that.

Gord

Yea, this has been discussed and we were firmly told by the admin not to talk about EE's temporary ban anymore.

MylesC
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I did explain the matter right here (http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=159234&postcount=119).

Can the dramallama go back in its pen now? ;)

Gord Lacey
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Gottcha, sorry, I stopped reading the "top posters" thread awhile ago.

Gord