PDA

View Full Version : The best place to take a tourist

edmontonenthusiast
01-01-2009, 12:20 PM
In your opinion, what is the best place in Edmonton to take a tourist - just one.

Personally I'd say Old Strathcona area because it is so lively and full of stuff to do.

Bray88
02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
I would say west edmonton mall, the river valley, the new art gallery when it opens and Jasper Ave.

Wrecker
02-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Depends on ages, & season. Fort Edmonton Park is great! The royal museum is good as well. Ukrainian Village is a very unique experience you won't find many places. Of course there is west Ed & the Leg.

edmontonenthusiast
02-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I would say west edmonton mall, the river valley, the new art gallery when it opens and Jasper Ave.
99 street.

edmontonenthusiast
02-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Depends on ages, & season. Fort Edmonton Park is great! The royal museum is good as well. Ukrainian Village is a very unique experience you won't find many places. Of course there is west Ed & the Leg.
what is the appeal of the leg aside from the architecture?

Medwards
02-01-2009, 11:32 AM
The whole ledge grounds are somewhere nice to spend a hot summer day, and not just for the legislature...

Wrecker
02-01-2009, 11:45 AM
what is the appeal of the leg aside from the architecture?

Some people like to see old buildings, and the leg is as nice as they come around here. The grounds are also very nice (summer & winter) and the tour is interesting.

Barry N
02-01-2009, 03:41 PM
At this time of year ? Perhaps The Barbados :-)

Sonic Death Monkey
02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
The Legislature is more than just the building. The grounds are very scenic and has all kinds of monuments, statues and historical stuff to check out. The fountains are very busy on a hot day. It's also a popular sunbathing spot.

dbegin
03-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree - Old Strathcona. It's one of the prettiest parts.

edmontonenthusiast
05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
All I can say is I am glad no one said West Edmonton Mall or South Edmonton Common.

Medwards
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
It may not be the best place, but certainly, I would be taking a tourist to WEM

IanO
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
whyte
leg
ft.ed
muttart
hawrelak park
ukraine village

wem

edmontonenthusiast
06-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Here - to have more than one - these are the places I would definitely try to take someone based on priority!:

-Old Strathcona
-124th Street/Gallery
-Rivervalley
-Significant festival
-Jasper Avenue
-Muttart Conservatory/Gallagher
-Coronation Park
-Royal Alberta Museum
-Art Gallery of Alberta
-104st
-Fort Edmonton

Of course it is also depending on the person.

grish
06-01-2009, 03:49 PM
don't forget Devonian botanical gardens, Elk Island and a walk through the ravine--anywhere.

edmontonenthusiast
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
don't forget Devonian botanical gardens, Elk Island and a walk through the ravine--anywhere.
I've been to the Devonian and I would hardly call it spectacular.

Places like Rabbit hill or elk island i would try also, but not priorities.

MrOilers
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Summer/Autumn - I would rent a bike and take them on a ride through the river valley on a cycling trip past the Legislature, High level Bridge, Old Strathcona, Muttart Conservatory, Lousie McKinney Park, and stop for lunch on the patio at Hotel MacDonald.

Winter/Spring - I would take them for a stroll down Whyte Avenue, then walk to the U of A for a drink at RATT.

Funk E-Town
01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
It totally depends on who the "target audience" is...

If it's a European = they want nature = Elk Island or Budget rent a car so they can see the Rockies
If it's an American = The see the statue of Gretzky and to an Oiler's Game - then to the Mall
If it's a Vancouverite = No clue... they always think what they have is better than ours
If it's a Saskatoonian (sp?) = Ikea
If it's a Montrealer = Molson Brewery - then Whyte Ave
If it's a Torontonian = to the Fringe or Folk Fest
If it's a Calgarian (see the "if it's an American section)