X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The B*ke Is Going On?

What The B*ke Is Going On?
    http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...g/cycling.aspx

The City is changing the way we engage citizens in bike route decisions. Citizens will have more say in how and where to build bike routes. It'll be easier for people to attend events or participate online, and we will be looking for input earlier in our decision-making processes.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Complaints lead Edmonton bicycle network planners back to the drawing board

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/insight/Complaints+lead+Edmonton+bicycle+network+planners+ back/9848303/story.html

EDMONTON - Edmonton’s nearly 500-kilometre bicycle network is a green idea that has made large numbers of people see red.

The scheme approved in 2009 envisioned a web of paths, lanes and signed routes being developed over decades to encourage two-wheeled transportation across the city.

But officials have put the brakes on this environmentally friendly future to seek more public input after riding into a wall of anger with last year’s construction plans.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

The jackasses of this fine city who drive cars must of cried about the fact they had to share the road with us bikers. It really pisses me off. Go to Victoria and see how they have their bike lanes, that's how we need to have it cars be dammed!

Comment

^ I am all for bike transportation but IMO the way city admin has been going about it is a bit halfassed.

we need dedicated bike lanes on major thoroughfares not sloppily painted lanes on random raods that nobody uses or can see in the winter. also ive seen places where there are bike lanes painted on the road right beside a multi use path! wtf?
        be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

The jackasses of this fine city that ride bikes should have consideration of the 99% of the population that do not. Streets were built for cars so get used to it.
          Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

The so called 99% can go frack themselves and there's more then 1% of bikers out here so go learn math.

Comment

this is how one road in Victoria is

http://www.bikesd.org/wp-content/upl...ikes-cdot1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Magnoblade View Post
                The so called 99% can go frack themselves and there's more then 1% of bikers out here so go learn math.
                I have to disagree with you on this one. I have seen MORE AND MORE cyclists completely ignore the rules. Ride thru red lights, go wherever it suits their needs. I am aware that vehicles do this as well but if you think a cyclist stands a snowballs chance in hell against a 2200 lb vehicle just because they can't follow the rules then all my prayers are with you.
                Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Like in the photo I like seperation between car and bike, not mixing. Seperate bike trails and paths are the best. Must have the posts so I know it's there or else it's just more tickets and a pain in the butte seeing where the bike lanes are.
                  Last edited by Drumbones; 17-05-2014, 12:41 PM.
                  Just enjoying another day in paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry N View Post
                    I have to disagree with you on this one. I have seen MORE AND MORE cyclists completely ignore the rules. Ride thru red lights, go wherever it suits their needs. I am aware that vehicles do this as well but if you think a cyclist stands a snowballs chance in hell against a 2200 lb vehicle just because they can't follow the rules then all my prayers are with you.
                    I am one of those bikers who actually follow the rules of the road. The ones ruining it for us are those bloody bike couriers
                    Last edited by Magnoblade; 17-05-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I am one of those bikers who actual follow the rules of the road. The ones ruining it for us are those bloody bike couriers

Well ... in that case your get a gold star and move to the front of the class Now let's round up these couriers and hang them by their cajones.
                      Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

Good.. They need to talk to people more before making decisions.. i love biking and i like driving..they really need to figure it out. take for example 95th ave. it was painted last freeken year.. it destroyed a 4 lane road and turned it into a 2.5 lane. with a bike lane on either side. now you cant drive down it.. and you cant bike down it due to no paint on the road ( literally painted last year) if the city had better communication with people they would realize that they could have built a bike only arterial road down 96 ave or 94/93 ave.. all the way to the river valley.. without destroying a minor arterial road in the process.

how wide does a bike arterial road need to be? 3 meters ? sure sounds like something they could build in many parts of the city without adding to our arterial roads. its not like bikes can go 40km/h anyway why not have these thoroughfares in neighborhoods. and hey just like those European cities they can cross parks and walk able spaces. and also if we do that they are separated from traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumbones View Post
                          Like in the photo I like seperation between car and bike, not mixing. Seperate bike trails and paths are the best. Must have the posts so I know it's there or else it's just more tickets and a pain in the butte seeing where the bike lanes are.
                          When I was in Berlin, nobody rode on the street. Those are for cars. They rode on the bike lane which was up on the curb. And pedestrians walked on pedestrian lanes.

Car>Bike>Person when in comes to collisions, so it makes sense that they are properly separated.

Mixing bicycles and cars will just end with frustration, casualties, and increased insurance costs.
                          "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

In the case of 95 ave between 170-189 street,there is already a sidewalk on that stretch. Why not make the sidewalk a SHARED PATHWAY as in other areas of the city, and get the cyclists in a safer area to ride ? There.... I just saved the city $11 million dollars. Shared pathways signage has got to be cheaper than repainting lines in the fall and repainting the next Spring.

Comment

In the case of 95 ave between 170-189 street,there is already a sidewalk on that stretch. Why not make the sidewalk a SHARED PATHWAY as in other areas of the city, and get the cyclists in a safer area to ride ? There.... I just saved the city $11 million dollars. Shared pathways signage has got to be cheaper than repainting lines in the fall and repainting the next Spring.
                              Yep and between 170th and 156 its wide enouf in the sidewalk area/ car front drive area to build a multi use lane as well.. really the only point where its justifiable to build the bike lane is between 156 and 149.. and hey guess what 96 ave is a strait through right there..

Comment

Working...
                              X