No announcement yet.

Help: stolen bicycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KC, yeah, I wonder why there isn't a good bike tracking device. I've looked into dog tracking devices before, and they seemed reasonably-priced (you could pay per "ping" to a GPS), so it's weird that there isn't a GPS bike tracker... or maybe there is and we just don't know about it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

To bad they did not make bicycle frames with glow in the dark paint. Paint them trendy colors that glows when it gets dark. After the coats of trendy colors have been painted on a person could get their name put on the frame then a coat or two of transparent paint put on top of the name. Glow in the dark and also your name will show up. The name and transparent paint can be done after the bike is bought. Added bonus of safety riding at night.
      Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Comment

Bike theft in Vancouver drops 30% thanks to new app. Will other Canadian cities catch on? | Globalnews.ca

https://globalnews.ca/news/3847638/b...ct-529-garage/

Comment

This is a HUGE issue here.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Bigger than Huge... YUGE issue.

Many friends have had their bikes stolen. Most of them didn't take proper steps to secure them, thinking inside a garage would be enough. Thieves will break into your car, steal your garage door opener, or break a window, or kick open the door, and your bike is gone.

And regular house insurance will only cover the first 1000 after editable. Many bikes are worth 3-6k, and are being sold for a hundred or two.

Sad...

I personally keep my bikes locked to each other, and to a bolt in the my garage pad, and make sure to keep my garage door opener with me if I'm leaving my truck on the road. I also leave my cheap bike unlocked. You can have that one, just leave the others alone! (yes plural)
            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Garage security:

You could also put a motion detector light switch or separate motion detector security flood light in the garage to light it right up if anyone enters - though it might just help them in their shopping. I’ve considered getting an external light similarly wired in so if anyone entered the garage at night, it would be very obvious.

FYI:

The 6 Second Garage Door Break-In You Can Prevent - YouTube
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI

Chain comments are interesting
              How to Stop Thieves | Family Handyman
              https://www.familyhandyman.com/home-...p-thieves/amp/
              Last edited by KC; 15-11-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Honestly, KC, the motion lights don't really work to deter people. They're checking things out at 3, 4, 5 in the morning, when no one is even up to see a light go on. I know of 3 instances where our motion lights in the back yard came on, and people still poked around. I caught a guy on camera about 2 months ago, and after the garage light went on he still approached the house and looked on our porch for anything to grab (nothing there, fool!), and set off another light in doing so.

If you REALLY want to know if someone is in the back yard, get one of these:
                https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007HKOKXE

It's meant for an acreage so you know when someone is coming up your driveway. The brown box runs off batteries (mine have been in 2 years already), and transmits to the black box in the house that beeps any time there's motion. Put it in the garage, or alongside the back gate and it'll beep in the house whenever there's motion. Since it plugs into the wall you can also have it on a timer so it only beeps during certain times (10pm-6am, for example). This is extremely easy to install, costs under $100, and can be moved to a different location if you need to (you can also buy a second one and monitor two different areas if you want).
                They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Comment

I remember asking my dad when I was about 18 that maybe a motion light was needed in the back alley and he promptly retorted "Why, so they can see what they're doing as they're thieving?"

We never got a motion light.
                  Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Comment

Originally posted by IanO View Post
                    This is a HUGE issue here.
                    Late spring this year.

600 bikes stolen so far this year, police say | Edmonton Journal

Excerpt:

“Last year, 2,171 bikes were reported stolen in Edmonton, according to police statistics. Bike thefts so far this year are below 2016 levels, when 656 bikes had been stolen by June 4.

Thirty-seven of the 590 bikes reported stolen this year were snatched from schools or post-secondary institutions. The remainder were stolen from homes, backyards, garages and on the streets, police said.“

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-far-this-year

Comment

They are always getting stolen from condo parkades. How great to have to leave them on your tiny balcony..
                      Animals are my passion.

Comment

http://Bike Index

Re Stolen Bikes, register the bikes through Bike Index. The EPS is a partner of the program and check it daily.

You can pick up the stickers with the scan codes at any YEG bike shop. Its quite easy to register. did 5 bikes in under a half hour. Took long to get the serial number off my bikes.

Comment

https://bikeindex.org/?gclid=CjwKCAj...hoCCHsQAvD_BwE

Re Stolen Bikes, register the bikes through Bike Index. The EPS is a partner of the program and check it daily.

You can pick up the stickers with the scan codes at any YEG bike shop. Its quite easy to register. did 5 bikes in under a half hour. Took long to get the serial number off my bikes.

Comment

There is also the Stolen Bike group on facebook which has done wonders to get the bike index program to where it is in Edmonton, and also a good place to post your bikeindex link to your bike should it get stolen. Will put everyone on alert to look out for your bike. Has helped return several!
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Working...
                            X