Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mandatory winter tires in Alberta--good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mandatory winter tires in Alberta--good idea?

Would mandatory winter tires in alberta be a good idea?
    Too expensive and not necessary
    28.79%
    Long overdue
    27.27%
    Only with government subsidy
    13.64%
    Yes alongside mandatory annual check-ups
    22.73%
    Option 5? I should have stopped at 4. Other?
    7.58%

YES!

Although some might feel as though they can still not drive for the conditions, it would assist in reducing insurance costs, deaths, and property damage.

However I think it should be an insurance side initiative whereby you receive discounts for having them.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Absolutely..... Everyone would be safer. They're much better than the ASEW tires (all season except winter) that folks "get sold on" now.

Of course idiots there are poor drivers and/or speeders, can't drive on dry roads....... At least winter tires gives you a fighting chance to avoid the wreck.

<sarcasm on> Having people stay on the roads will be good for my tow truck business....Medwards are you listening? <sarcasm off>
      ....the Kronic
      --calls them like he sees them--

Comment

...see you working in the ditch some time as I pass by you safely on the way to my destination.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

During winter, proper tires are probably the single most important safety feature in your car (aside from seat belt and good judgment).

But mandatory? I'd rather see a focus on getting the current cars 'up to code'. I see bald tires and old shocks all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
            ...see you working in the ditch some time as I pass by you safely on the way to my destination.
            The next time you see me in the ditch I'll be cutting your sorry ***** out of the car with the jaws of life.
            ....the Kronic

Comment

There's a first time for everything I suppose, but hopefully not for that. I'm not an ***** on the road.
              A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

well, not everyone who spins out is an *****. sometimes it is just bad road conditions and sometimes it is the ***** driving next or near you doing something idiotic.

a thought--like block heaters, should a set of winter tires be included with a new car?

another thought. most cars on the road are, say, in the $10,000 (used car price). A set of winter tires without (not top of line) rims is about $1000. The tires will last for a few years. With changing of the tires, it could come to about $300 a year. That amount to protect your $10,000 vehicle as well as your own health and health of others.

Comment

You can get decent winter tires for under $200 a tire, easily. Obviously it depends a lot on the tire size, but I bought some 205/50R17's for my BMW for $160 each (Hankook Winter Bears, I think). And due to the car, they're V-rated instead of the usual H, or whatever it is. I'm sure that for a typical Civic or Focus or Camry you can buy just the rubber for $500-750 total. Yeah if you get some Michelin Pilot Alpins you'll be paying $300+ a tire (and they'll totally be worth it).

I think it would be a good idea to have them mandatory, but to be honest I've got a lot more pressing concerns that should be addressed first. Vehicles should be required to get bi-annual inspections, emissions tests and so on. As others have already mentioned, there's an awful lot of beaters on the road that really shouldn't be. Driving a car is not a right, and if you're unable to properly maintain your car, then it shouldn't be on the road and you can take the bus instead. As soon as we've eliminated the 10-20% of the cars on the road that have no business being there, then we can start worrying about mandatory winter tires.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...snowtires.html

Comment

well, not everyone who spins out is an *****. sometimes it is just bad road conditions and sometimes it is the ***** driving next or near you doing something idiotic.
                      They're idiots if they're speeding. Like I said winter tires give you a fighting chance to avoid the wreck, unless of course the guy with the winter tires is is an ***** as well.

The biggest problem I have every year is picking the proper time to change over. If the temperature is too warm, your winter tires get chewed up really fast, because the rubber is so soft and pliable.

Unfortunately I bet that most people who are going to vote no, have NEVER driven with PROPER winter tires when it's cold enough. Most ground grips, mudders, etc. are NOT winter tires; they are ASEW (all season except winter) tires.
                      ....the Kronic

Comment

One comment though: due to our different climates, I'd say it's less of a problem here than in Quebec or Ontario, if only because we tend to stay way in the deep freeze and don't have as many freeze/thaw cycles, and don't have nearly the ice on the roads that they do.

Comment

All season except winter - first I've really heard of this term. Theres all season, which is not really good in any season, its a compromise between a winter tire and a summer tire, it gives you neither good grip in summer or winter, but reasonable traction in both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tires#Use_classifications

AS tires aren't as good as Winter tires, that's for sure, but there not as bad as summer tires in the winter... there is some benefit in having all seasons in winter over having summer tires, but don't be fooled, they're not winter tires.

Comment

Originally posted by raz0469 View Post
                            As soon as we've eliminated the 10-20% of the cars on the road that have no business being there, then we can start worrying about mandatory winter tires.
                            Any vehicle that stalls on a roadway should have to pass a MANDATORY mechanical/safety inspection before it is allowed to drive on a road again.
                            ....the Kronic

Comment

I'll admit, I'm bad for not putting winters on my truck, Instead going with M&S & relying on my 4x4 when things get too mucky & slippery. And before a chorus of "4x4 doesn't help when you need to stop" arrises, that is not true, as the truck has a manual transmission which makes it infinitely more controllable in slippery conditions.

Having said that, I used to run Nokians on steelies on my old Volvo 740 Turbo, To protect the nice factory alloys and because the cars' horsepower curve was very steep with the turbo engaged, which gave it a tendancy to break loose in the rear. I would have never considered running a/s tires on that car.

Current Volvo doesn't even get driven in the rain, much less the snow so I don't worry too much about that.
                              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
                              X