SUV sales continue to soar - 70% of Canaidan sales now light trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KC View Post
    Go camping and you’ll see all kinds of people towing 5th wheels. They aren’t jetting it around the world but are towing a trailer for which they need a pick up.
    And every time I see that I wonder why they are spending all of that money on a big trailer, a big vehicle to haul it, gas to run it, and often an expensive (and small) RV campsite with hookups, instead of driving a car and booking a hotel. If you like camping, get a tent or a tent trailer. If you don't like camping, why pretend that you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
      Go camping and you’ll see all kinds of people towing 5th wheels. They aren’t jetting it around the world but are towing a trailer for which they need a pick up.
      And every time I see that I wonder why they are spending all of that money on a big trailer, a big vehicle to haul it, gas to run it, and often an expensive (and small) RV campsite with hookups, instead of driving a car and booking a hotel. If you like camping, get a tent or a tent trailer. If you don't like camping, why pretend that you do?
      Just ask any couple with a trailer. They’ve probably all tented as well.

Comment

I've got a big group of friends that go camping at Whistlers in Jasper a couple times a year. It's a mix of single guys like myself who are in small tents, to families with 2-3 kids and big 5th wheels. I can totally understand why the families have trailers, although it does seem like some of them are a bit overkill. It can be a nightmare with young kids (or dogs) sleeping in tents. One couple with 2 boys has one of those R-Pod trailers, and that seems like a nice middle ground, although it might be a bit limiting once their boys get older (they're 3+5 right now). But even for the people in the big 5th wheels, staying in a hotel just isn't the same thing. The kids can't run around and play outside all day, you can't have a campfire at night, and so on.

I just like the fact that I can show up with no food and mooch off all the families with their built in BBQ's and pizza ovens etc. And when it's pouring rain I certainly don't complain about their gigantic pull out awnings.
        Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 10-11-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Ad always: nothing’s simple

How toxic is your car exhaust? - BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...ur_car_exhaust

“The moment of truth arrives in the form of an Excel document. Nick Molden is on the phone to talk me through it.
          “Both cars have stats that are directly comparable with each other and our wider data set,” he begins. “Hopefully it's an interesting result.”

“Go on, then,” I think. It’s taken a long time to get this far, and the suspense is killing me.

First I must scroll horizontally across a document listing fuel efficiency, CO2 emissions, NOx and carbon monoxide emissions.

There are no values for the particulates here - those results have not come back yet, he says.

NOx is the big one. And there is a clear winner: the diesel.

Although diesels are castigated for being the big offenders as regards NOx, it’s not that simple.

...”

For diesel cars it’s 45.0mpg. A side-effect of this is that they produce less CO2, so there was some logic in Gordon Brown’s measures to promote the sale of diesels.“...

And here it gets interesting. In fact it gets downright controversial.

Nick clears his throat.

...”

Last edited by KC; 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM.

Comment

On my high horse as an an infrequent flier, I think people should stop some of their wasteful foreign trips and vacations. Possibly 95% of it could be done by phone and looking at photos on the internet... ;/)

Air travel and climate change - David Suzuki Foundation
            September 2017

Excerpt:
            “Although aviation is a relatively small industry, it has a disproportionately large impact on the climate system. It accounts for four to nine per cent of the total climate change impact of human activity.
            But at a time when we urgently need to reduce our impact, greenhouse gas emissions from aviation continue to grow. For example, since 1990, CO2 emissions from international aviation have increased 83 per cent. The aviation industry is expanding rapidly in part due to regulatory and taxing policies that do not reflect the true environmental costs of flying. “Cheap” fares may turn out to be costly in terms of climate change.

How do greenhouse gas emissions from flying compare with emissions from other forms of transport, like driving?

Compared to other modes of transport, such as driving or taking the train, travelling by air has a greater climate impact per passenger kilometre, even over longer distances (see graph below). It’s also the mode of freight transport that produces the most emissions. “

https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can...limate-change/

Comment

That would explain Mr. Suzuki's unwillingness to fly across the world giving speeches.
              I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

^^^ You missed the most important part of that long and rambling article:
                So why are diesels managing to pass strict limits in the lab while producing high levels of emissions on the road?

It’s all down to the New European Driving Cycle - the laboratory process in place in Europe since 1997 - says Anup Bandivadekar, passenger vehicles director at the International Council on Clean Transportation.

This puts cars through a test involving steady acceleration, constant speed driving and steady deceleration. It bears no relation to how people actually drive, Bandivadekar says.

This narrow focus has made it easy to game the system, he says.
                More poorly thought out regulations.

Comment

^^^ You missed the most important part of that long and rambling article:
                  So why are diesels managing to pass strict limits in the lab while producing high levels of emissions on the road?

It’s all down to the New European Driving Cycle - the laboratory process in place in Europe since 1997 - says Anup Bandivadekar, passenger vehicles director at the International Council on Clean Transportation.

This puts cars through a test involving steady acceleration, constant speed driving and steady deceleration. It bears no relation to how people actually drive, Bandivadekar says.

This narrow focus has made it easy to game the system, he says.
                  More poorly thought out regulations.
                  Nope, didn’t miss it. Can’t quote the whole article for total clarity. In fact this quote is also very important:

“Five of my dad's Skodas would produce less NOx than this version of the Qashqai.”

Another article:

Fact Check: are diesel cars really more polluting than petrol cars?

Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London

Diesel cars have recently become subject to considerable negative publicity thanks to the amount of toxic emissions they produce. Some governments are planning to discourage their use or even ban them from urban areas altogether. Yet some diesel car owners have reacted angrily, arguing they bought the vehicles because they were supposedly the environmentally friendly option.

Diesel was promoted as a more environmentally friendly fuel as part of the EU’s response to the 1997 Kyoto Protocol to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, especially carbon dioxide (CO₂). Diesel engines are “lean-burn”, meaning they use less fuel and more air to get the same performance as a petrol engine.

So, while diesel fuel contains slightly more carbon (2.68kg CO₂/litre) than petrol (2.31kg CO₂/litre), overall CO₂ emissions of a diesel car tend to be lower. In use, on average, this equates to around 200g CO₂/km for petrol and 120g CO₂/km for diesel.

But even when governments were promoting diesel cars, we knew ...”

http://theconversation.com/fact-chec...rol-cars-76241
                  bolding mine
                  Last edited by KC; 10-11-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Factor of 6 +

Evolving climate math of flying vs. driving ยป Yale Climate Connections

Thus, the total plane-related “radiative forcing” – a measure of the varying influences on climate change – goes way beyond just carbon dioxide spewed from engines. Aviation emissions have strong and immediate effects. Indeed, a 2010 study from researchers at the University of Oslo’s International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis found that “short-lived climate factors” make a decisive difference in terms of mode comparisons:

Air travel results in a lower temperature change per passenger-kilometer than car travel on the long run; the integrated radiative forcing of air travel is on short- to medium time horizons much higher than for car travel. Per passenger-hour traveled however, aviation’s climate impact is a factor 6 to 47 higher than the impact from car travel.
                    https://www.yaleclimateconnections.o...ng-vs-driving/
                    Bolding mine

Comment

“fashion statement”

Why Automakers Keep Beating Government Standards - Scientific American

“DeCicco thinks that automakers may be designing more pickup trucks to be heavier, so that they fall above that 8,500 pound limit. “There are a lot of cars on the road that people are using, like the Ford F-250 Super Duty, that are fashion statements,” says DeCicco. “I would suspect that if you really counted the whole population of personal vehicles … fuel economy may have started to go back down.” DeCicco notes that he can’t confirm this, because the EPA doesn’t release those numbers, but he has monitored the industry for decades. “I know that the sales of those vehicles have been doing great,” he explains. ...”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ent-standards/
                      Bolding is mine

Comment

^ More bad standards. Why should there be a cutoff between "work" and "personal" vehicles? Anything that gets used on public roads should meet the same standards. Even if there was a good reason for the cutoff, basing it on empty vehicle weight instead of payload and towing capacity is inviting gaming of the system.

Basing fuel efficiency standards on vehicle capability rather than size would be a start. That would need to be combined with measures that penalize people who buy larger vehicles than they really need. Higher fuel taxes, increased registration charges for larger vehicles, increased insurance premiums for larger vehicles (and corresponding savings for smaller vehicles).

Comment

Either way it's artificial.

Ditch fuel economy standards completely and increase the carbon tax by an order of magnitude and with no exceptions*, "revenue neutral" by handing it all back per-capita as a beginner gauranteed annual income.

*Yes I know some sectors operate in global markets wheresuch a tax would be counterproductive, and send production elsewhere. But this is already pie-in-sky, so imagine it applies globally, or something.
                          There can only be one.

Comment

Hey, maybe a carbon tax.

Comment

Working...
                            X