SUV sales continue to soar - 70% of Canaidan sales now light trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUV sales continue to soar - 70% of Canaidan sales now light trucks

I'm not really surprised, world consumption of gasoline is increasing, not decreasing, despite all the electric car / green talk.

That’s certainly not the case with gas-loving SUVs. DesRosiers Automotive Consultants last week reported that light truck sales — which include SUVs as well as pickups — accounted for a record 70 per cent of total sales in Canada during October. Nearly 1.2 million light trucks have been sold so far this year, a 10 per cent increase from 2016.

Dennis DesRosiers expects light truck sales could still increase in Canada even though oil prices are rising, along with gas prices.

“There will be something that will alter the market dynamics at some point, but it looks like it still has some upside,” he said. “I think next year there is a very high probability of light truck sales hitting 70 per cent on a regular basis.”

At the same time, passenger car sales have been declining, with sales off eight per cent in October, according to DesRosiers, while light truck sales increased by nearly 14 per cent.

“I don’t think anyone saw how much of a tidal wave this shift has been. It’s been quick, and it’s been dramatic,” said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst with Autotrader.com. “This is not just a trend. This is a total shift in the market, and it isn’t just in Canada and the U.S. It’s in China, it’s in Western Europe, it’s everywhere.”
    http://business.financialpost.com/tr...ng-of-the-road

I expect if you took Quebec out (where they like "chick" cars, like the Honda S2000), and B.C. where all the environmentalists live, or just looked at Alberta, the number would be even higher, I would guess at 85% or more of new auto purchases.

I have an Explorer, which I really like, but I'm thinking a bit about the new Aluminum Expeditions.
    Last edited by moahunter; 08-11-2017, 01:27 PM.

(where they like "chick" cars, like the Honda S2000)

Adorable you are.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^lol

Comment

I'll buy a subcompact again when I get the impression that many drivers here on the road are not getting their Drivers Licences from Cereal box tops..

Until then its big beefy SUV's.

One recent year 24% of "accidents" in Edmonton involved stationary objects. Tells you everything you need to know right there.

Hey, when are they going to institute distracted driver cameras and start handing out violations. Its the most dangerous thing out there.
        "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Interesting to see comparisons.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/fcr-rcf/public/index-e.cfm
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

You know you're living in Alberta if you are deemed a girly car driver for not tooling around in either a RAM-sized truck or an oversized SUV. Scrubbing the red from people's necks will take a while, no doubt.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
              I'm not really surprised, world consumption of gasoline is increasing, not decreasing, despite all the electric car / green talk.
              My "gas guzzling SUV" is better on gas than any of the cars I've ever owned. So take a hike with your BS.

For the record, it's a Santa Fe Sport. A whopping MASSIVE 2.0L engine. It's all but assured that my next vehicle - be it car, SUV, whatever - will be at least a hybrid if not entirely electric.
              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

The statistics are being distorted by calling all SUVs, even compact crossovers, "light trucks". Consumer preferences haven't changed that much when you consider that a crossover is really just a jacked up station wagon with AWD.

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                  The statistics are being distorted by calling all SUVs, even compact crossovers, "light trucks". Consumer preferences haven't changed that much when you consider that a crossover is really just a jacked up station wagon with AWD.
                  And those really small CUV's like the CX-3 and such are compacts or sub-compacts that ride a whopping 4" higher and have slightly higher rooflines. moa makes is sound like everyone's driving a Suburban or something.
                  "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
                    Understood - but everyone is upsizing to the "SUV", or "Crossover", equivalent. So someone who might have purchased a Corolla that gets 34MPG today, instead gets a Toyota CH-R which gets 29MPG. Its upgrading across the board - sedans are basically disappearing except a few niche buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chmilz View Post
                      And those really small CUV's like the CX-3 and such are compacts or sub-compacts that ride a whopping 4" higher and have slightly higher rooflines. moa makes is sound like everyone's driving a Suburban or something.
                      All it takes is a few minor tweaks & you can make what's obviously a passenger vehicle into what qualifies as a light truck & bypass the American gas guzzler tax. It's not as cut & dried in Canada with the green levy, but it definitely has a huge impact on the makeup of the North American market.

Heck, the PT Cruiser was a "light truck" to the EPA & was cancelled once the loopholes that made it a viable part of their lineup were closed.
                      Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

^ Yes, the current US fuel economy standards are very poorly designed, allowing passenger vehicles to be called "trucks" just because they are jacked up, and then applying much looser standards to "trucks" than to "cars". I'm hoping Trump will kill them so his successor can start over with something better. Fuel consumption standards should be based only on the capabilities of the vehicle (passenger seating positions, payload capacity, towing capacity), not on its physical dimentions.

Comment

^ Even that's not ideal, since most of those 6 & 7 seaters spend most of their time with just one or two on board, just like a smart car. And most of pickup trucks spend most of their time with nothing more than a few sandbags in the bed.
                          There can only be one.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander II View Post
                            ^ Even that's not ideal, since most of those 6 & 7 seaters spend most of their time with just one or two on board, just like a smart car. And most of pickup trucks spend most of their time with nothing more than a few sandbags in the bed.
                            Honda designed the new Ridgeline to meet the needs of 95% of pickup owners. The RAM crowd thinks they're wimpy, but the reality is that the significant majority never utilize the payload or haul capacities of their pickups, ever. It's form over function. Driving pickups is mostly a fashion statement.

Comment

While we're here.

One reason I drive an SUV. Hyundai Santa Fe is I need enough towing jam to haul our Tent Trailer. The 6 I have has plenty horsepower for that. Barely uses any extra gas mileage while towing. I love that tent trailers don't weigh much and don't have appreciable wind drag and handle well, properly hitched..

I'm in the market for a new SUV soon enough. Would like one that guzzles a bit less gas but can still haul in the range of 1-2K lbs. Any recommendations out there. Also for dealerships that might do me a favor on throw in trailer package or any that have that off the lot?

I like Hyundai, Kia, but would go any direction as long as normal raised cab SUV. I like to see in front and back easy. Don't like the lower to the pavement models.
                              Last edited by Replacement; 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM.
                              "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Comment

Working...
                              X