No announcement yet.

Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone imported any old vehicles (that you couldn’t get here when new)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin
      In any case, I just had a coffee with another wagon guy, and he indicated that someone at an Audi dealership told him it may well be possible that Audi will be bringing over the RS4 Avant in 2018. If they do, I may well have to get my name on the list. And there will absolutely be a waiting list, of that I have no doubt.

Still no RS4 Avante in North America. However, it's looking like Mercedes is bringing a C43 Wagon to Canada only (no US) this fall:
      https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180305/hotted-up-c-43-amg-to-also-arrive-in-a-wagon-version/

My old 535 Touring was in the shop for a few weeks and my dad was kind enough to lend my his new-ish A4 All Road. It was actually peppier than I expected, and I didn't realize it has a dual clutch auto, not a torque converter. I still can't stand the terrible fantastic plastic that Audi thinks they need to slap on it to make it look like a Subaru or something, but otherwise I quite enjoyed driving it. In the next year or two I'll have to replace my current wagon, and unless something else comes out it'll likely be between a C43 or an A4.

Comment

• Toyota's Answer To Rolls Royce And Maybach Is The Century?

“Sold almost exclusively only in Japan, it boasted Toyota’s only V12 engine and a ride so smooth and whisper quiet that it made all other cars seem unrefined, even Lexus. ”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly...e-century/amp/

Comment

• Almost pulled the trigger on a C43... until I found out that you can't get them with ventilated seats. That's about as dumb of a decision as Mercedes could make. 65-80k car, can't get an option that's available in a 30k Kia. Genius. Really unfortunate because otherwise it's everything I was looking for; a 6 cylinder wagon, basically. But no way I am buying a brand new vehicle without ventilated seats. Cartman's nightmare is my dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLNdeBM4IY

Volvo's coming out with a hotted-up, hybrid V60 for the 2020 model year that is intriguing. Unfortunately it's still a 4-banger and basically a front wheel drive with the electric motor driving the rears, but reviews indicate it's hard to notice it and the two motors work well together. The transmission also doesn't sound great; not sure if it's a torque converter or a dual clutch. But every review I've read on the V60 mentions that it can be slow to shift sometimes.

https://driving.ca/volvo/v60/reviews...60-t8-r-design

These first world problems are killing me! Heater fan on the un-trusty old BMW is about to die. I feel like Eurasia should have some sort of punch-card system, like Subway did. Every 10 repairs, you get a new transmission or something.

Comment

• I find that Volvos have very little interior room especially rear leg room when I have the drivers seat back because I am 6 ft 3" tall. Unless you get a VX90 and that is very pricey and fuel hungry
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Thankfully, everything fits my 5'9" frame perfectly!

Comment

• Volvo = #3

These are the least dependable brands, according to J.D. Power | Driving

https://postmediadriving.wordpress.c...g-to-j-d-power

Comment

• Interesting, thanks. Owner reported surveys like that are not the best way of measuring reliability, because they depend on the vehicle owner's reporting. It's quite possible that someone who buys a brand new, expensive car is going to keep a closer eye on little niggles than someone buying a Yaris or whatever. For example, the last new car I bought 10 years ago, a 3 series BMW, had a squeaky driver seat. Every time I clutched, the seat would squeak. I took that car to Edmonton BMW 5 times and they never did manage to resolve it. Bavaria got it on the second try. Further, from what I gather those survey don't really differentiate between minor and major issues. A squeaky seat would count the same as a blown transmission. Those kinds of surveys are known for having wild swings from one year to the next that probably don't truly reflect what's going on.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Volvo has reliability concerns. They've long had that reputation.

Comment

• Replacement believes that the only reliable car is a 1970's VW bug...
                    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
                      Interesting, thanks. Owner reported surveys like that are not the best way of measuring reliability, because they depend on the vehicle owner's reporting. It's quite possible that someone who buys a brand new, expensive car is going to keep a closer eye on little niggles than someone buying a Yaris or whatever. For example, the last new car I bought 10 years ago, a 3 series BMW, had a squeaky driver seat. Every time I clutched, the seat would squeak. I took that car to Edmonton BMW 5 times and they never did manage to resolve it. Bavaria got it on the second try. Further, from what I gather those survey don't really differentiate between minor and major issues. A squeaky seat would count the same as a blown transmission. Those kinds of surveys are known for having wild swings from one year to the next that probably don't truly reflect what's going on.

That being said, it wouldn't surprise me if Volvo has reliability concerns. They've long had that reputation.
                      I’ve thought much the same. People that have dropped big bucks on a vehicle will spin the facts for a number of reasons including maintaining resale value.

Failure of inconsequential items should not count as much as more critical items. However, even a problem with a little thing can still mean s trip to the dealer and added costs and inconvenience.

Comment

Working...
                      X