No announcement yet.

Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ disagree. It's not just a market research thing.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Originally posted by Medwards View Post
      ^ disagree. It's not just a market research thing.
      Of course it is. There are significant costs to launching a model here: training, parts, marketing, etc. If that model won't sell that many units, and other models can fill the gap to some degree, they there's no good reason too. If the market research says it's more profitable to not sell it, they won't.
      "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

...says the market research/sales guy.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Legislation & taxation inform other locales' taste in automobiles. In Canada there's no disincentive (beyond operating costs) to buy the largest vehicle you can afford, regardless of practicality. Hell, we'll even throw a neighborhood under a bus to accommodate your poor choice in vehicles!

And who keeps it that way? Domestic automobile manufacturers, through lobbying & threats, both couched & overt.
          Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
            Legislation & taxation inform other locales' taste in automobiles.
            I don't think its that simple. A lot of cuvy vehicle designs (feminine) that are popular in Europe and Asia are not popular in North America, where there is a preference for more angular / boxy (masculine) designs. There have been a few examples of this, where GM and Ford have tried to bring European designs over, and they haven't been popular. Saturn for example came mostly from Opel (GM Europe). Ford has been trying to land on a balance of designs that can meet global taste, but even they have struggled with the issue. A lot of the vehicles PRT has been posting on here would be called "girl cars", or "chick cars" in Canada or US so would have a very limited market. I'm not fully sure why that is, but it is what it is, and the automakers understand it. Chrysler hasn't much success brining FIAT's over, they did try to masculinize one with the Dart, but being a small car it has limited audience. An automaker like Peugeot or Renault would struggle I think in Canada/US because of the design language, but they can sell sister vehicles that are made more boxy and suited to the north American market via their partner Nissan, so there is no reason for them to enter this market.
            Last edited by moahunter; 09-02-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

To be fair, there are a lot of vehicles available in canada that the US cannot buy

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...buy-in-the-us/

Some of them were absolute crap and the US was lucky not to get them. The Hyundai Pony was so bad, when I took one for a test drive, the throttle cable broke when making a left turn in heavy traffic. It got real exciting for the salesman in the passenger seat...

http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...merica-did-not
              http://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/10-cars...s-did-not-get/
              Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

^And vice versa. Scion was quite successful in the US, and for some time the vehicles weren't available here. Some of its models only came recently to Canada, and now has been merged into Toyota.

Comment

Toyota sold 2x as many Toyotas last year as they cumulatively sold Scions during the entire existence as a brand. Hardly successful.

Comment

Likely because Scion was supposed to be a lower production niche brand.

Comment

Scion was made to appeal to a younger generation that didn't want their parents toyota...

scion was always part of the Toyota family...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_(automobile)
                      A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

Toyota sold 2x as many Toyotas last year as they cumulatively sold Scions during the entire existence as a brand. Hardly successful.
                        More than a million sold, and hit a demographic Toyota struggled with (younger people). The idea was those buyers would move to Toyota as they aged. I think Toyota have worked out they can get the benefits through individual model branding without a separate infrastructure though. My point was that for a number of years there were some quite nice Scion vehicles that weren't available in Canada (I know of a few people who went down there and imported them back up). All countries are a little different re the marketplace, even Canada is different from US in that we purchase far more small models (e.g. Honda civic), and AWD is of course more important.
                        Last edited by moahunter; 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                          Legislation & taxation inform other locales' taste in automobiles.
                          I don't think its that simple. A lot of cuvy vehicle designs (feminine) that are popular in Europe and Asia are not popular in North America, where there is a preference for more angular / boxy (masculine) designs. There have been a few examples of this, where GM and Ford have tried to bring European designs over, and they haven't been popular. Saturn for example came mostly from Opel (GM Europe). Ford has been trying to land on a balance of designs that can meet global taste, but even they have struggled with the issue. A lot of the vehicles PRT has been posting on here would be called "girl cars", or "chick cars" in Canada or US so would have a very limited market. I'm not fully sure why that is, but it is what it is, and the automakers understand it. Chrysler hasn't much success brining FIAT's over, they did try to masculinize one with the Dart, but being a small car it has limited audience. An automaker like Peugeot or Renault would struggle I think in Canada/US because of the design language, but they can sell sister vehicles that are made more boxy and suited to the north American market via their partner Nissan, so there is no reason for them to enter this market.
                          Meanwhile, those of us who prefer functional, "gender neutral" lines that are neither boxy and angular nor overly curvy have to get nostalgic about the 1990s:

Notice the amount of glass on the Metro - minimal blind spots and you could actually see while backing up without need for a camera.

Comment

The Metro was a 3 cyl dog that GM stripped down but I had the 1993 the 2 door Suzuki that was a blast to drive.
                            (not mine)
                            Great in snow, nimble and great vision all around. My brother had an older Toyota Matrix and that was fun to drive but you could not see out the back of his newer one.

The new outbacks look great and the 3.6R Touring with a 256 hp engine really is a sweet ride.

BTW guys, "When it comes to buying a set of wheels, figures show women play a leading role in 85 percent of auto purchases."
                            http://www.npr.org/2015/11/20/456751...executive-jobs
                            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

^ I was not a fan of the 3-door Metro, it was 10 cm shorter than the 5-door which all came from between the front and back seats, rendering the latter useless. The 3-cylinder was still a blast to drive though. A unique engine sound and you could drive like a racer without exceeding the speed limit (by too much anyways).

The new Outbacks are nice, but I prefer the old styling. I don't see the need for the 6 cylinder engine either. I pull a 1200 kg boat with the 4 cylinder and the only place I haven't been able to keep up with traffic is the Coquihalla summit (down to 90 km/h there - about the same as the 3-cylinder Metro). The CVT is great for giving you 100% power at any speed over 40 km/h, with no between-gear flat spots.

Comment

Any Audi Avant... god why does america hate wagons so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X