Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

I am looking for a new car and I find it frustrating that Canadians cannot buy many models here.

I really like the Subaru Legacy wagon but only the sedan is offered here and to get a wago, I have to go to the Outback. Still a very nice car but also more costly. I was in the Caribbean for two weeks and the number of cars & vans that we cannot get, is astounding.

Here is a short list
    Toyota Corolla Wagon
    Subaru Legacy Wagon
    Toyota Hiace
    Toyota Noah (Voxy, Esquire)
    Volkswagen Scirocco R
    Honda Type R

Cars perfect for Canada that we can't buy
    http://www.autofocus.ca/media-browse...at-we-cant-buy

7 Cars Americans Can Buy That Canadians Can’t

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...anadians-cant/
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Subaru Levorg
    Toyota Land Cruiser
    Volvo V40
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

Basically every decent sport wagon. Like a BMW 5 series or an Audi 6 series. There's also some pretty great engines that aren't available here, mostly diesels. Like the BMW M550D: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...0d_xdrive.html

They also never made the M5 wagon available in North America, either. The Audi RS6 Avant is another spectacular car that's not available here.

Comment

Best part about going to Sweden to visit family is to see all the trucks on the road magically get replaced with wagons, including the one sport wagon you actually can get in Canada, the V60 Polestar.
        Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Comment

damn, the scirocco R looks sweet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...erican_version

In April 2007, Volkswagen America vice president Adrian Hallmark claimed that Volkswagen preferred not to bring the Scirocco to North America since it could negatively affect GTI sales.[19] It was later stated that the final decision would be made in 2008 by Martin Winterkorn (Volkswagen's CEO), not Volkswagen of America.[20]
          In early March 2008, MotorAuthority reported that, due to the increasing gap between the United States dollar and the Euro, the Scirocco would not be made available for American consumers. "This car would fit the U.S. market but at the current exchange rate we wouldn't make any money," Volkswagen sales and marketing chief Detlef Wittig told Bloomberg reporters.
          A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

When my 2001 Ford Focus wagon was totaled by a Silverado in 2008, I could not buy a new one because Ford dropped the version so I had to buy a used 2007 and it served me well for 10 years. When I asked my dealer why they dropped the Focus wagon, he was just as upset as I was because he stated that 70% of his Focus sales were the wagon. He told me that they were told to upsell buyers to the Ford Edge or Explorer which cost way more, poorer fuel economy and more expensive to own.

Same for Subaru, they used to sell the Legacy Wagon but they dropped it so people would buy the more expensive Outback
            Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 09-02-2017, 10:09 AM.
            Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Comment

Saw a lot of small econoboxes and vans in the Caribbean as well. Probably don't meet safety standards or the makers want us to buy big cars

Comment

Originally posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
                I am looking for a new car and I find it frustrating that Canadians cannot buy many models here.

I really like the Subaru Legacy wagon but only the sedan is offered here and to get a wago, I have to go to the Outback. Still a very nice car but also more costly. I was in the Caribbean for two weeks and the number of cars & vans that we cannot get, is astounding.

Here is a short list
                Toyota Corolla Wagon
                Subaru Legacy Wagon
                Toyota Hiace
                Toyota Noah (Voxy, Esquire)
                Volkswagen Scirocco R
                Honda Type R

Cars perfect for Canada that we can't buy
                http://www.autofocus.ca/media-browse...at-we-cant-buy

7 Cars Americans Can Buy That Canadians Can’t

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...anadians-cant/
                There are lots of Canadian cars you can't buy in those countries as well. Automakers tailor for the safety standards / emissions standards / market. Also some style differences. For example in a lot of countries you see Toyota Fortuners, which are a bit like a 4runnner, but different. They might struggle in Canada as Highlanders are a lot cheaper here than in those countries, and people here like the more truckish look of the 4runner to the fortuner.

One interesting class you don't see much in North America is MPV, e.g. the Toyota Innova (which is pretty nice I think). Mazda has the Mazda 5 - but it hasn't really done that well, also Kia Rondo. Its not a class people in North America like, would rather have full size van, or an SUV. Toyota would rather sell Sienna's here, more popular, higher price, more profit.
                Last edited by moahunter; 09-02-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Toyota Hilux... which is basically the tacoma in diesel. Would love to get a tacoma in diesel.
                  A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

^I had one of those with a 2.0 liter turbo diesel, manual transmission, in about 1993 in New Zealand, loved it (although it was very slow, and dirty as heck in engine bay like a lot of diesels). It was a Hilux Surf, so more like a 4runner I guess than the small truck.

Last edited by moahunter; 09-02-2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Many jurisdictions have taxes on vehicles based upon their engine displacement, power, fuel economy, emissions, gross vehicle weight or other metric which helps curtail/dampen the desire to get the biggest vehicle possible for money spent.

Comment

I really wish they sold my car with a manual in North America, versus the 8-speed auto I've got. Paddle shifters just aren't the same.

Comment

We can blame misguided US fuel efficiency standards for banishing practical cars from the North American market. If they had used seating and payload capacity to determine the maximum acceptable level of fuel consumption instead of footprint and an artificial distinction between "cars" and "light trucks", we would be seeing a different mix on the road.

Comment

^it won't change anytime soon, the only vehicles that automakers really make profits on in North America are higher priced ones, esp SUV's (some small luxury cars). Smaller cars are more seen as "brand" entry, in the hope people will move up to something larger in time, and to keep dealers happy with all the maintenance and similar.

Comment

Those vehicles aren't sold here because they do the marketing research and nobody wants them outside a few enthusiasts on forums.
                              "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Comment

Working...
                              X