Timing Belt Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt Replacement?

I have a Kia, wondering if anyone knows of a place that won't gouge me to get the timing belt replaced?

I would suggest http://wilsonsautotech.com/

Realize a timing belt replacement is a 4 hour job and is going to cost $600-800 wherever it is done

Comment

I don't know why some cars are designed to make the job so difficult. If it's that difficult to get at, they should have used a chain. Other cars are really easy though. It took me 2.5 hours to change the timing belt on a Geo Metro (the first time, it only took me an hour and a half the second time.)

Comment

Some vehicles are overengineered. Chains can still go though... belts were just more cost effective for some manufacturers.

Anyways, +1 for Wilson's. Make sure they check the idler pulleys and tensioner springs. Some mechanics are idiots and will simply swap belts. A true timing belt swap will have a kit that may include new pulleys and tensioner springs.

Comment

I'm going to have to check out this Wilson's Tech place, it's hard to find a good trustworthy mechanic nowadays.
          Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Comment

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/bus/...4%7C1665f8cf34

Second to none. I've taken my vehicles to John for many years. He's a straight up guy and knows his trade inside out. Can't recommend him enough.
            Nisi Dominus Frustra

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48 View Post
              I don't know why some cars are designed to make the job so difficult. If it's that difficult to get at, they should have used a chain. Other cars are really easy though. It took me 2.5 hours to change the timing belt on a Geo Metro (the first time, it only took me an hour and a half the second time.)
              I can change the timing belt in a Volvo 240 in about an hour, and the belt costs $20 I love cars that have the serviceablility engineered right into them. There's not many out there like that.

As far as shops go.. I always took my truck to Capilano Brake & Muffler. I would recommend them
              Over promise and under deliver. It’s the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Comment

Working...
              X