Buying a used car, need your advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used car, need your advice

I am a recent college grad(female) and I need to buy my first car, but I have no experience in how to do it. I want to get a car within the next 2 or 3 months.My budget is around $25,000.

Should i get a japanese,german, or american car? Should i stick with SUVs for safety issues? Which car is the best for driving in winter? What do you guys think are the most important factors to consider when buying a used car?
    Any input will be much appreciated.

^not sure if this is really the right forum, but we have had other car threads. For that money, I'd look at maybe something like a CRV, about a year or two old. Or if you want fancier (but worse fuel economy), an Acura RDX or Infiniti EX35 around 2008 model. I like small crossovers our climate - you sit a bit higher so can see well, but the security and ease of AWD in winter. I think its safer as well, the issues of rollover in old SUV's have been addressed in newer vehicles, most of the cross overs are just jacked up sedans/wagons.

Having owned German, American and Japanese vehicles (not Korean yet), I have found Japanese most reliable, can simply maintain a new one at quick Lube places once a year with synthetic oil and will drive fine.
    Last edited by moahunter; 30-04-2012, 01:16 PM. Reason: Infiniti not infinity

Comment

Japanese reliability plus AWD for the winter = Subaru
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

thank you for your detailed information! they are very useful!

Comment

Honda Civic 4 door. Reliability and fuel economy.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

^why not Honda CRV, which is basically a winter version of the Civic? Better visability and AWD, good reliability, yet still great fuel economy. Being higher and a bit heavier makes it a bit safer as well in a collision.
            Last edited by moahunter; 30-04-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
              Japanese reliability plus AWD for the winter = Subaru
              But i heard the repair costs for Subaru is high?

Comment

Originally posted by moahunter View Post
                ^why not Honda CRV, which is basically a winter version of the Civic? Better visability and AWD, good reliability, yet still great fuel economy. Being higher and a bit heavier makes it a bit safer as well in a collision.
                See...that is one reason why I thought for a long time you were a female!
                “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

I will look into CRV as well as RDX.

Comment

CRV is a good car and I would recommend it as well, but I hate the higher, heavier, safer bit.

It is also higher in maintenance, same with subarus or any other AWD/4WD.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

It costs $60 to fill up a CRV, and it costs $40 to fill up a tank of gas for a Toyota Corolla. I know this because I own both.
                      Edmonton first, everything else second.

Comment

^so CRV has a larger gas tank, isn't that a good thing? Or do you mean for given distance driven? Civic should get better fuel economy.

Comment

Corollas and Civics have better fuel economy. The frequency for filling up are the same as the CRV.

Comment

To put things in perspective, it costs $120 to fill up a tank for a full sized truck.

Comment

^my EX35 is about $80 (I understand RDX is similarly poor with its turbo 4 - latest model is a v6), so CRV is about a quarter better, and Civic is half better. Sounds about right.

Comment

Working...
                              X