Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• driving to vancouver from edmonton

Hi,

What is the easiest/safest route to take to go to vancouver? Via Calgary or via Jasper?
    We are planning on driving tomorrow 5 hours and the remainder on tuesday....
    we have an suv with good winter tires, any advice or tips....thank you.

ilona

Via Jasper is probably best.

Comment

good luck, I drove in the summer and it was not fun...
      you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Comment

Coquihalla to kamloops and then up to Jasper. And arrive in Edmonton just as the cold snap leaves. Better hwy than the southern route.
        My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Comment

^ Psst, it's to Vancouver from Edmonton. Other way around. =)
          Strathcona City Separatist

Comment

Don't take the Rogers Pass route - it's subject to frequent closures due to weather.
            BobinEdmonton

Comment

Basically this:

Van-Kam = ~4-5hrs
              Kam-Jasper = ~ 5-6hrs
              Jasper-Edm = ~4hrs

It is quite scenic and although the temps we have seen are not that fun to deal with if you have winters on you will be fine. Be sure to stock up on a good road-side kit and extra warmth just in case though.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

EDM-VAN is much easier on Hwy 16 - Hwy 5 - Hwy 1.
                President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

Van via Jasper is certainly quicker and you avoid Roger's Pass which sometimes has closures due to snow. But we always go via Calgary as we have family to stay with. We drive down to Calgary Friday night. Then Calgary - Van in a straight shot on Saturday, or overnight in Kamloops if kids complain!

Comment

I tend to take the Yellowhead, however there do tend to be LOT of deer at night along Highway 5 from the Tete Jaune corner to close to Barriere. Yellowhead pass tend to close less than Kickinghorse or Rogers. Coquihalla pass can be a nightmare during winter, but still a better option then the Fraser Canyon highway.

You might want to check these before you go
                    Alberta
                    http://www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/cam...ation_main.htm

BC
                    http://www.drivebc.ca/

Comment

Do you have any option of flying over there and say getting a rental car? A 1.5 hour relaxing flight can sure beat 12-15 hours of unpredictable mountain winter driving.

But if you must then take the Jasper Kamloops route. I believe it is the quicker and better route.

Comment

I will also be traveling to Vancouver for holidays. I have a new SUV (4x4) and all season tires, and I'm not experienced in winter driving. Do I need winter tires/chains?

Comment

^likely not but i would recommend winter tires.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                          X