Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Henday Drive | South West Leg | Completed

According to the city website, AHD between Terwilligar and Gateway Blvd is slated to open October 11...ONE MONTH from now!

Looks like they're almost finished the parts of the interchange that need to be in place, while the rest of the construction continues for the SE leg. The directional and exit signs are up but covered.

I can't wait to drive it! The interchange itself should be...interesting!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's going to be wicked!

Comment

I've seen both aerial and ground views of the new section of AHD. I want to drive that one day. The west end from Whitemd up to Gateway will be a new experience and I'd like to see how much the change east of there will look like.

Comment

OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!!!!!

Ah, to kick IanO's butt around those corners....
        My hope is that you can finally get rid of the anger in your heart, and fill it with peace, compassion, understanding, and a desire to uplift rather than suppress.

After all, we are all together on this home, this pale blue dot, the "only home we've ever known.”

Comment

What's with the wacky interchange though? People here complain about lefthand exits and entrances on the Whitemud all the time but this interchange will have more of them. They even built extra overpasses so the AHD westbound to Calgary trail offramp would be a lefthand entry and the Gateway to AHD eastbound would be a lefthand exit - I don't get it.

Comment

It's built so that the primary highway flow is from QE2 NB to AHD WB and vice-versa. So in effect, you are exiting the QE2 to drive into Edmonton.
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

yep, I was going to say something similar. think of AHD as the freeway and gateway as a city street. then it is the gateway that is merging onto the freeway as it is supposed to do-on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS
                OPEN OPEN OPEN!!!!!!!

Ah, to kick IanO's butt around those corners....

bring it

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Originally posted by Titanium48
                  What's with the wacky interchange though? People here complain about lefthand exits and entrances on the Whitemud all the time but this interchange will have more of them. They even built extra overpasses so the AHD westbound to Calgary trail offramp would be a lefthand entry and the Gateway to AHD eastbound would be a lefthand exit - I don't get it.
                  It's built to be a high-speed interchange that gives full right of way to any direction. 'nough said.
                  LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

It just seems to me that with all the work that went into building the interchange they could have built one of these

Comment

From Hicks on Six.........
                      Here's some more info on interchange openings

THE END IS AT HAND

Lest we feel doomed to an eternity of road -construction purgatory ...

*Rejoice downtown-Sherwood Park commuters, The Low Level Bridge is ahead of schedule, targetted to reopen mid-October.

*The 156 Street overpass across the Yellowhead opens Oct. 5. That Yellowhead mess from 142 Street to 170 Street should be cleared up by Oct. 31.

*The Henday, the mighty Henday, is about to usher in a new age in city mobility. The Gateway/Calgary Trail interchange opens Oct. 11 allowing for clear sailing on the Henday (the outer ringer road) around the southwest from Calgary Trail up to the Yellowhead Highway.

*The road construction that's killing traffic movement on Whyte Avenue through Old Strathcona should be done by mid-October. Ditto for the 51 Avenue bottleneck from 97 Street to 106 Street. That's slated for a wrap by Sept. 30.

*Way out in the west end, the post-freeway Whitemud past Henday Drive has been completely closed for some time. That's caused no end of frustration, but the road should re-open by month's end.
                      Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

having the SW ring road open is HUGE for Edmonton...absolutely huge.

And with SE opening next yr....WOW...watch for the south to explode even more.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

I can't wait to drive the entire length of AHD from Yellowhead to Yellowhead next year! Now they just need to build the overpasses on the SW leg and get the northern leg off the ground.

Comment

I cannot wait for this to open!
                            LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                              It's built so that the primary highway flow is from QE2 NB to AHD WB and vice-versa. So in effect, you are exiting the QE2 to drive into Edmonton.
                              /\ Bingo, the main route is NOT Gateway, it's AHD.

Furthermore, the on/off ramps have been designed to ensure adequate distance for proper merging.

Comment

Working...
                              X