Terwillegar Drive | Freeway Upgrades | Planning/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terwillegar Drive | Freeway Upgrades | Planning/Discussion

Living in the Riverbend area and driving Terwillegar on a daily basis, does anyone here know the approximate timeline for making 40th/Bulyea, Rabbit Hill Road, and 23rd Avenue proper overpasses and turning it into a proper Freeway? (and further down at Haddow, Henday, and the new road into Windermere)
    I also believe I have seen diagrams of a more complex intersection with the Whitemud.
    It would seem with the rapid growth seen in the area such a project would be feesible, but I guess with other priorities such as Henday expansion, 23/Gateway, etc it may be pushed to the backburner for the time being.
    But for a major route through a major suburban component of the city, it sure a) looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down, etc and b) gets backed up like crazy in rush hour.
    Hopefully someone has somewhat of an idea.
    with my hands bound
    i will walk into your garden

Re: Terwillegar Drive

Originally posted by TheBronze
    But for a major route through a major suburban component of the city, it sure a) looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down, etc and b) gets backed up like crazy in rush hour.
    Shhh! Do you want a Canadian Tire or an Ikea put in there? With the right tax breaks they can have their grand openings by July 31, 2008.

Comment

I hope it stays on the backburner until after the yellowhead is complete. why start another freeway when the ones we have are decades from completion?

There are many roads that get backed up 'like crazy'.

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
        I hope it stays on the backburner until after the yellowhead is complete. why start another freeway when the ones we have are decades from completion?

There are many roads that get backed up 'like crazy'.
        i'd agree. The Yellowhead and Gateway are important to commerce....Terwillegar's only "benefit" is to allow people to build further out in Windermer and Riverbend.

Comment

Originally posted by LindseyT
          i'd agree. The Yellowhead and Gateway are important to commerce....Terwillegar's only "benefit" is to allow people to build further out in Windermer and Riverbend.
          Ahhhh - but I expect that there is a lot of money to be made in converting farm land to new neighborhoods - probably more than buying and then enhancing already developed land around the Yellowhead or Gateway. Like them or not, I expect there are reasons why infrastructure has kept pushing further and further out.

Comment

looks stupid having the road split apart for the intersections, than come back down

Looks refreshingly like good transportation planning to me. But, I agree with others here - finish Yellowhead and the Henday first.
            ... gobsmacked

Comment

Not to support more bedroom community growth, but I wonder if there's a chance of Terwillegar Drive getting extended all the way out to Devon? But give the city credit for at least planning ahead to allow for eventual interchange construction. There were recent plans for a couple of the interchanges a couple of years ago or so.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

the thing i wonder about terwilleger drive is why there are 2 left turn lanes onto rabbithill road and that other road. that messes up traffic so bad and its really useless. Just the one left hand turn lane is enough not the 1 left turn lane and 1 combo left turn straight lane.
                be offended! figure out why later...

Comment

Pa-Don me if I am mistakin' but was the question not about a more efficient movement of traffic between Whitmud thru to Henday by removal of the delays caused by these lights and intersections thru the use of underpasses??
                  Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Comment

These 2 overpasses need to be done 2 yrs ago. I use to live in the SW and recall planning sessions for these back in 2001/02 for it to be completed by 2007/08/09.

While there are other problems out there...the section from the whitemud to AHD needs to get done. It allows for alternative routes to occur and takes more pressure off of gateway.

if you have never driven at rush hour on terwillegar drive, try it.....you wont want to do it more than once.

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

What are the plans for the interchange between terwillegar and AHD? Is it going to be a 23rd ave style interchange with lights or is it eventually going to be freeflow? From looking at google earth and driving it, it seems to be 23rd ave style. If the plan is to have Terwillegar freeflow from whitemud to AHD, and for it to eventually connect to highway 2A, shouldnt they just make it a freeflow interchange?

Comment

There will eventually be another bridge on Terwillegar crossing AHD. You can see the piles of dirt east of the existing bridge where it will be. That will make the next phase similar to 111 Street and Whitemud. After that there will likely be more loop ramps with eventually it becoming free flow. That will be quite a few years away. 20+

Comment

I'd say even longer than that. I don't think the traffic exchange there would warrent any addition work for a long long long time.
                          LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

Originally posted by knowitall View Post
                            After that there will likely be more loop ramps with eventually it becoming free flow.
                            With this interchange design N/S traffic along Terwilleger Drive will not be free flow. Split diamond just like 170 Street/Whitemud Drive and 111 Street/Whitemud Drive. Not sure why they designed it this way.

Comment

I wonder how long before Terwillegar drive becomes a freeway between the Whitemud and AHD. It can get pretty busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X