Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes that's correct

Comment

• Personally I wish that the roller-coaster section of the QE2 at Leduc and Hwys 2A and 39 would be left alone. If plans for this do come to fruition, it likely won't happen for another couple of decades. But who knows.
      “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• Roller coaster is unsafe and will be removed.
        A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

• Yeah, that thing in the winter is outright dangerous. Semis have a hard time negotiating it at the posted limit without leaving their lane even in the best of conditions.

Comment

• I recently drove the roller coaster on the QE2 NB at 120 km/hr. It was a blast!
            “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

• So I was driving back from Calgary and found it was fairly decent driving with the three lanes until we got to around the section after Crossfields where it narrowed to 2 lanes. At that point it got extremely congested. I wonder when the province will consider further widening the freeway. If it were widened to Red Deer or even to Bowden I think it could definitely help traffic. One thing that would also be nice if they could find one or two more locations to have a rest stop that was not just an extra wide shoulder.
              LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Comment

• I think they're planning to add a rest stop near Lacombe.
                "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Cat View Post
                  I think they're planning to add a rest stop near Lacombe.
                  I believe that is Gasoline Alley 3.0.

There is:

Original Gasoline Alley.
                  Gasoline Alley 2.0 at Penhold. (Junction 42)
                  Gasoline Alley 3.0 at Lacombe.
                  I drive really slow, in the ultra fast lane
                  While people behind me, are going insane.

Comment

• I never stopped into Penhold, although considering the proximity to Red Deer I've never thought about going there. A good place for a roadside rest stop would be nice both north and south bound somewhere in the middle between Crossfields and Bowden. Also it would be nice if they could add a bit of a separation from the freeway lanes and the small rest stop at the top of the hill just north of Innisfail.

I did some quick research and found this proposal for the section next to QE2 in Lacombe.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlIw...SwatNt4FYkNKAo
                    Their facebook page says they will have an Esso, Second Cup Coffee, Pizza 73, Car Wash, Residential Apartments and Retail Plazas. Walmart is also being suggested for this development.

On another note on highway 2 south of Calgary, Nanton is stepping up as a better and better place to stop. On the south side of the town, the Flying J truck stop is in the process of getting renovated a little bit, but also there is now a new Tim Horton's there as well as a Dairy Queen is getting built in that same area, which also has Humpty's restaurant as well as a pizza place. There is also enough room for at least 2 or 3 more restaurants or maybe another gas station. The restaurants/fast food restaurants though would be my first choice, although maybe a small hotel would be another good idea?
                    Last edited by Edmcowboy11; 11-09-2019, 09:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Junction 42 at Penhold is basically nothing right now. I think it just has some temporary atco trailers with bathrooms for truckers to use. The area is just a big parking apron for trucks to park on. Pretty much no services. The plan is to make it into a full blown rest stop with fast food joints/cardlock fuel stations/conv. stores and what not. If you are driving a normal passenger vehicle, the original Gas Alley is where you want to go.

That video you posted is for Lacombe. The area in question is the Highway 12/QEII junction. That is part of the city of Lacombe.

What the province is proposing, is a rest stop north of there, Gas Alley 3.0. City council has their feathers ruffled over that and want it moved. This was proposed under the previous NDP government.

https://lacombeonline.com/local/laco...qeii-rest-stop

Comment

• Originally posted by Extreme View Post
                        Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
                        Hwy 19 interchange SB overhead signs have sat in the ditch for a few months now. No overhead signs for NB - having only right-hand exit signs greeting new tourists and business travelers from the airport to Edmonton is bush league if you ask me.
                        The South bound signs have been there since last fall. They made an attempt to install them, but obviously failed. Im kind of curious to know what could possibly be wrong that it would take more than 10 months to get them up.
                        Hwy 19 bridge had some repair work required. As such it was load restricted. Being a high load corridor, it caused some headaches for modules being moved. A temporary solution was to have the oversized loads travel on Highway 2 overnight. You may have noticed a gravel median crossover road about a kilometre north of Hwy 19. It is meant for the over sized loads to U-turn. The overhead sign as a result has sat in the ditch because some of the high loads would have hit that sign.

Comment

• The Gaetz / Highway 2 project facebook page gave their final update on Friday. Just a big thank you to all involved and all who followed the page. I haven't been thru the project site in about two weeks but it appears that it is finished. I'll take a drive thru tonight.

Comment

• How are you all enjoying the new interchange at Red Deer?

It really is a beautiful thing with all the construction equipment moved out and speed restrictions lifted - especially on 2A under the bridges of QEII. That area was a nightmare for quite a while with construction. Everything seems to flow pretty good. Wish the speed limit was higher on the collector roads tho.

Comment

• I've passed through this interchange several times this year on my way to and from Calgary. No complaints.
                              I haven't used it to turn off to Red Deer nor to Gasoline Alley as of yet so I can't really comment on that.

Comment

• I've gone into Gasoline Alley and it is quite nice now. Now that this section is better it would be nice to start on an improved QE2 at Leduc.

Comment

Working...
                                X