• Show
Clear All

• QE2 highway badly needs an upgrade

From good old Neil at the Sun

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Comment/C...8/4742381.html

Fri, December 28, 2007
    QE2 highway badly needs an upgrade

By NEIL WAUGH

Traffic deaths are terrible under normal circumstances.

But during the holiday season - when peace on earth is the name of the game - they are doubly tragic.

And, once again, the Queen Elizabeth 2 Highway has claimed more victims.

This drives me up the wall. To blame this on "Congestion" and the need for a 3rd lane is ridiculous. This, IMO, is due to the inability of drivers to obey speed limits, drive defensively, and to drive according to road/weather conditions. Yes, this highway is probably more congested than some of the country roads that Neil travels on his hunting and fishing trips, but I would not consider it to be overly congested.. I think Neil needs to travel at bit. Say, to the Lower Mainland in BC and travel Highway #1 at rush hour. That is congestion. All we need here are better drivers IMO. Plus, he is also saying that Stelmach should get on the EAA to re-open commuter service again at the muni to help with highway 2 congestion Arrgh.

Pardon my rant.

Pete

rant pardoned...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

Comment

His words regarding the City Centre Airport is just cringe-worthy at best, but hey it's a society with free speech*.

And steelman's right... it seems that once you exit Calgary or Edmonton city limits, all driving rules go out the window. Why can't anyone drive at 110 km/h on that highway, or slow down when the road conditions aren't that great?

And to Neil, you're just grasping at straws with that whole City Centre Airport train of thought!

Comment

The QE2 is rarely if EVER bumper to bumper. Traffic I saw on the I-5 north of Seattle was bumper to bumper.

What is needed is:

1) Paving of certain sections that are in *very* poor conditions.

2) Moronic Albertans who think they're invincible in trucks of SUVs need to learn how to drive and obey traffic laws. Yes, traffic on the QE2 is fast in the summer and it works. However, when there is frost and ice...grow a brain people.

3) Did I mention grow a brain, idiots?

And, wow, Neil...what *are* you smoking? Yeah...Airbus service from the downtown airport would relieve traffic pressures.

Excuse me, but the audacity of that made me puke in my lung.
        LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Comment

I think there are a few rough spots on QEII south on the way to the International Airport. Other than that, 130 km/h seems to be the going speed.

I'm sure that the QEII would be safer if more drivers followed the speed limit of 110 km/h. I drove home on the QEII during a snowstorm, and the "morons in trucks and SUVs" were speeding.

And Neil, stick with the issue at hand. The airports have nothing to do with the safety of the highway. I wish you would stick with the facts, rather than generalizations.
          "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Comment

Re: QE2 highway badly needs an upgrade

For once, I sort of agree with Neil. Now, any of us who travel this road frequently know that certain stretches of the road are busier than others. Apart from certain times of the year, I'd argue that the "congestion" is not as bad Waugh says it is.

Maybe an upgrade needs to be applied from Edmonton to Leduc and from Airdrie to Calgary. Maybe something around Red Deer, but probably not. Anyway, steelman is right that drivers have an inability to obey speed limits and should probably drive more safely, but the reality is that unless there are massive resources earmarked towards cracking down on traffic related infractions on the QEII, this behavior will continue. Regardless, the two arguments are completely independent in my books.

Comment

Why does the QE2 from Edmonton to Leduc and Calgary to Airdrie need to be expanded, there's already 3 or 4 lanes per direction in those stretches. I do agree that the stretch through Red Deer needs to be expanded, plus the Gasoline Alley entrances/exits need to be redone.

Anyway, QE2 expansion isn't as high a priority as, say, twinning Hwy 63 to Fort Mac, twinning the Yellowhead all the way to the Jasper National Park gate (and beyond), creating a new Hwy 43 bypass around Grande Prairie, or building more interchanges on the Yellowhead.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Death Monkey
                Why does the QE2 from Edmonton to Leduc and Calgary to Airdrie need to be expanded, there's already 3 or 4 lanes per direction in those stretches. I do agree that the stretch through Red Deer needs to be expanded, plus the Gasoline Alley entrances/exits need to be redone.

Anyway, QE2 expansion isn't as high a priority as, say, twinning Hwy 63 to Fort Mac, twinning the Yellowhead all the way to the Jasper National Park gate (and beyond), creating a new Hwy 43 bypass around Grande Prairie, or building more interchanges on the Yellowhead.
                Agreed on twinning Hwy 63.

Just saying that the two mentioned locations (Edm to Leduc, Cgy to Airdrie) are the busiest stretches of road on the QEII so if an expansion is warranted, then these will have to be first. Apart from a few days/weekends though, I don't feel that congestion on the road is bad at all. If it is going to be a problem though, it will be a problem in these two areas. I think what many fail to realize is that departing during non-peak hours means that the "congestion" that Waugh talks about is practically non-existent.

Comment

So adding another lane on QE2 might ease occasional congestion. But collisions and failures will just turn these higher capacity roads into more massive parking lots extending for many miles with no escape routes.

I think our taxes would be better spent on a means of bypassing these bottlenecks.

Comment

You know I would be all for restoring air service from City Centre to Calgary....as long as it went to Calgary's secondary airport Springbank.

As for the QEII driving at 130 is not a problem if that is what everyone is doing and the roads are bare and dry, different story if there is some snow or black ice - as it ihas been said get a brain people or it will splattered on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by kona
                      As for the QEII driving at 130 is not a problem if that is what everyone is doing and the roads are bare and dry, different story if there is some snow or black ice - as it ihas been said get a brain people or it will splattered on the road.
                      It is incredibly wasteful to drive at 130km/hr fuel economy wise. People don't realize how little time they are saving. All you do is put your life in some other idiots hands as your reactions are impaired by going 20% faster. Not that I'm a saint... but it would be easier to be one if this was policed properly.

If we are going to build, would it be possible to have some sort of heavy truck lane or similar? Just a thought, probably wouldn't work, as the trucks wouldn't stay in it. Seems to me that QEII is too economically important for our province to not expand it soon - I think another lane each way (i.e. expanding to 3 each way for whole route) is almost needed already, and will without question be needed in 10 years time, which is probably how long to get planned, financed, and built.

PS. Agree with Sonic re Gasoline alley. We have learned from experience how to try and get back on the main road going North, not user friendly at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kona
                        You know I would be all for restoring air service from City Centre to Calgary....as long as it went to Calgary's secondary airport Springbank.

Actually, if Neil is at all honest about his intentions, he would be forced to agree. Indeed it would only serve O&D patrons and thus be no threat to YEG. However it would also be of no benefit and even the tiniest amount of support for flights between YXD and Pattyburg is like saying, let's just bore a "small" hole in the dyke.

---

I agree that QE2 could be supplemented somehow though, but why don't we just try simple "low speed rail" again? It should be able to do 120 km/h which seems fast enough for the cars, and there is existing infrastructure right from downtown to downtown already in place. We'd only need a few extra overpasses, or just crossing signals with teeth.
                        Let's make Edmonton better.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee
                          I agree that QE2 could be supplemented somehow though, but why don't we just try simple "low speed rail" again? It should be able to do 120 km/h which seems fast enough for the cars, and there is existing infrastructure right from downtown to downtown already in place. We'd only need a few extra overpasses, or just crossing signals with teeth.
                          That may be the "best-bang-for-the-buck" option. All we need for a start is to "bring back the dayliners" and see where it goes. If the demand is there it can be used to justify a high speed service.

Comment

Broken record time: We can't use existing CP or CN rails. They do not want anything but their own freight on those lines.
                            Building a line in a green field, or right beside the CP/CN rails would cost nearly the same cost to build the full High speed system (at least 3/4's)

So we are either all in, or we fold.

Thanks,
                            A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Comment

they need more 3 lane sections for passing and slow moving vehicles IMO...with 3 lanes all of the way eventually.

but i find the biggest problems are that people stay in the left lane...move the $$#@ over

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Comment

Working...
                              X