Direction Signs in Edmonton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direction Signs in Edmonton

Coming into Edmonton, I think there’s some inconsistency with respect to direction signs to major destinations. Not one single sign directing people to Rogers Place. Inconsistent signage to downtown (lots of signs on Gateway Boulevard vs no sign at Whyte Avenue/83 Street. There are signs for Fort Edmonton, the Valley Zoo and West Edmonton Mall, but hardly any signs for the University of Alberta. Is there any way to make our city more user friendly?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Does the arena really need a sign apart from downtown? If so, what about the RAM, AGA, Citadel, etc?

Comment

Maybe something like Ice District, Arts District and Government Centre might work downtown.

Comment

Edmonton has a big problem with sign pollution. I would eliminate all of them except for the ones on highways (e.g. Whitemud Drive).

Do we need these in the 2019 world of GPS and smart phones?

Comment

Would the CoE have an open database of signage like this?

Ya we need them, because people are driving (eyes up!), and they're good PR.
          I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by K364 View Post
            When you put it that way, I'm all for signage so that people keep their eyes on the road rather than their GPS or smartphone. Especially in 2019.

Comment

One major peeve of mine is Groat Road with signs pointing to "Parks Area University" for many decades when they could be pointing to Parks/University of Alberta. What the hell is this Parks Area University? What type of degrees does this institution hand out?

Another peeve was the Yellowhead with numerous blue business area signs, but I think those are dispensed now.
              “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Comment

Edmonton has a big problem with sign pollution. I would eliminate all of them except for the ones on highways (e.g. Whitemud Drive).

Signs can work as advertising. They might trigger more visits and more visits hopefully improve sustainability and create less of a drain on the tax base.
                Last edited by KC; 20-11-2019, 06:44 AM.

Comment

I’m thinking more for visitors.

Comment

Fewer signs in Edmonton is hardly a bad thing. It would be great if the city tackled corridors and re-evaluated the need for every single sign.

Comment

Signs are used for many things. To say we should have fewer signs seems to be a - typical - top down approach to a complex situation. Same with viewing any new signage as unneeded, as it exacerbates sign pollution.
                      Last edited by KC; 20-11-2019, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolworm View Post
                        When you put it that way, I'm all for signage so that people keep their eyes on the road rather than their GPS or smartphone. Especially in 2019.
                        Totally agree. In many situations visual reliance on GPS isn’t much different than using a cell phone while driving.

Comment

A GPS is far less distracting than having to stop and look at a map. Plus they have had voice guidance for many years.
                          Edmonton has far too many signs and they are inconsistent and distracting.
                          I don't need direction signs to churches, attractions, business areas. If I care about getting somewhere I'll invest the 5 minutes to find out where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sundance View Post
                            A GPS is far less distracting than having to stop and look at a map. Plus they have had voice guidance for many years.
                            Edmonton has far too many signs and they are inconsistent and distracting.
                            I don't need direction signs to churches, attractions, business areas. If I care about getting somewhere I'll invest the 5 minutes to find out where it is.
                            Exactly.

Comment

Working...
                            X